Thread: Sorry, but simply untrue.

Default Sorry, but simply untrue.

I get so frustrated not being able to answer back on THAT other forum.

As posted by the site owner re SM
    "Most likely this is because they either haven't looked, or don't wish to, or simply are lying. Very definitely she won't have been scanning as all the breeders who are scanning have said they pretty much see syrinxes in about half the younger breeding dogs that they scan. That matches research figures for dogs without obvious clinical signs in a study of over 550 cavaliers. I have had 7 cavaliers and 5 have SM, a mix of show breeder dogs and rescues."

Fact - I have never seen in a Cavalier I've bred (yet) show clinical symptoms of SM, nor has anyone reported one to me. To prove the point I've scanned. In fact 16 dogs carrying my affix and one I brought in have been scanned. Total 17. (13 by Dr Rusbridge, 3 by Mr Skerritt and 1 at Cambridge) The youngest was 2 years 3 months (rescanned at over 5 years) and the next youngest is 2 years 5 months. Of those 17 , only one has had a syrinx. 2.5mm (scanned 5 years ago and still asymptomatic) and two are borderline at 2mm one was over 6 years. This obviously does NOT match research figures, which is why I dispute the fact that the research is truly representative of the breed. Nor does this number include clear progeny from my males bred by others.

It just goes to show how your own personal experiences can colour your opinion. As much as this person states "I find it hard to believe I somehow got dealt an unusual hand of cavaliers." I find it hard to believe my kennel is unique and that there are many others in a similar position. I'd love to know who ALL the breeders she's been talking to are ? cos they are not anyone I know.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

You make a good point Bridgette: we all know a great deal about our own dogs' SM records, but I have to say that, unless asked, I seldom discuss my results or anyone else's, even with close friends, nor do I know of any other breeder who does, so, it would be interesting to know who are "all the breeders" who shared their results with the site owner.
    Of course when practically all breeders have been eliminated from a Forum, there is no one who can say nay, is there? Smart move.
    Elspeth

Quote Originally Posted by bridgette View Post
    I get so frustrated not being able to answer back on THAT other forum.

As posted by the site owner re SM
    "Most likely this is because they either haven't looked, or don't wish to, or simply are lying. Very definitely she won't have been scanning as all the breeders who are scanning have said they pretty much see syrinxes in about half the younger breeding dogs that they scan. That matches research figures for dogs without obvious clinical signs in a study of over 550 cavaliers. I have had 7 cavaliers and 5 have SM, a mix of show breeder dogs and rescues."

Fact - I have never seen in a Cavalier I've bred (yet) show clinical symptoms of SM, nor has anyone reported one to me. To prove the point I've scanned. In fact 16 dogs carrying my affix and one I brought in have been scanned. Total 17. (13 by Dr Rusbridge, 3 by Mr Skerritt and 1 at Cambridge) The youngest was 2 years 3 months (rescanned at over 5 years) and the next youngest is 2 years 5 months. Of those 17 , only one has had a syrinx. 2.5mm (scanned 5 years ago and still asymptomatic) and two are borderline at 2mm one was over 6 years. This obviously does NOT match research figures, which is why I dispute the fact that the research is truly representative of the breed. Nor does this number include clear progeny from my males bred by others.

It just goes to show how your own personal experiences can colour your opinion. As much as this person states "I find it hard to believe I somehow got dealt an unusual hand of cavaliers." I find it hard to believe my kennel is unique and that there are many others in a similar position. I'd love to know who ALL the breeders she's been talking to are ? cos they are not anyone I know.

Bridgette, my results are also below the norm. Probably 25 or so dogs that I've bred or owned have been scanned over the years, I'd have to check records to be sure, could be more. But I've mostly line bred those dogs and if SM is passed down through the generations as we think it is, then there could be a lower incidence in some families. Just lucky.
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA

I didn't talk to "her", but I have to say that I am very open about my test results. I think it's important to talk about it. The more information we put out there the less intimidating SM becomes. The fear and avoidance can be replaced with education and awareness.
    Sue

Susan Shidler
    AKC Breeder of Merit
    SevenWoods Cavaliers
    Mettawa, IL USA