Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clipping a Cavalier

Default Clipping a Cavalier

I'm not sure if this is the correct section of the forum to post a question but do not know where else to put it so here goes.....

Firstly - to all those "show" people out there please do not shout at me or throw your arms up in horror, but I am debating whether to get L'il Nutmeg to a groomer to have a really good hair cut. She has a full coat now but - presumably due to her being spayed - is VERY "fluffy". Her feet and feathers are very blond and have a completely different texture to the rest of her coat. They are almost like cotton wool or the nylon type hair that dolls have. No matter what shampoo and/or conditioner we use or how ever much she is groomed she always looks untidy. She collects extraordinary amounts of debris whenever she goes out for a walk and then has to stand for ten minutes or more whist we TRY to remove it.

So..... my question is - IF we do give her a thorough hair cut what will the new growth be like? Does anyone know if it's likely to be worse than at present or would it help at all. We're thinking of doing it now as she gets SO hot and bothered as soon as the weather warms up and it would give her coat plenty of time to recover before next winter.

Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions etc would be most appreciated.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

Stephanie, I have my Cavaliers trimmed shorter with scissors at the groomers at the beginning of the summer I do not have them cut short with the clippers! The coats grow back just as they were before. The oldies come back dancing around like spring lambs and I'm sure it keeps them cooler and more comfortable. The rest of the year I just trim the feet and nails myself. Ask for a tidy up with the scissors if you take her.

Alison.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cavielove View Post
    Stephanie, I have my Cavaliers trimmed shorter with scissors at the groomers at the beginning of the summer I do not have them cut short with the clippers! The coats grow back just as they were before. The oldies come back dancing around like spring lambs and I'm sure it keeps them cooler and more comfortable. The rest of the year I just trim the feet and nails myself. Ask for a tidy up with the scissors if you take her.

Alison.
    Absolutely on the ball Alison. Oops you can tell I've been watching the footie

Rebel is coming up for 12 with symptomatic SM/CM and shows distress when it is warm outside and his coat is long. He had a distinguished show career with a luxurious coat in his younger, fitter, days, but now it is practical to scissor into a Cocker Cut (short on the body and feet but leaving trimmed feathering on the ears, legs and trousers), so he still looks reasonably smart but can get around much better. Do not on any account let a groomer loose on a Cavalier with the clippers or face a coat even woolier than it is now.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Steph, I would suggest you invest in a pair of thinning scissors - the ones with one blade that's normal and the other that has slots in it (Hub International sell them). If you use those on the feet, cutting parallel to the hair, not across it, you'll find that you will end up with a fairly neat foot - although in the picture you've attached she seems to have very neat feet anyway! Another investment might be a Mars Coat King (12 blade), again using parallel to the hair growth not across it otherwise it just cuts straight across the feathering rather than thinning it out. Good luck! The main thing is comfort, as you obviously know.
    Sheena Stevens

Cool Grooming with clippers

Wish I'd seen this last night, then I would have filed this morning's activities

Waiting for Lexie to finish during our walk this morning so that I could pick up, and realised that her poo lands on her feathers, and then rolls off when she stood up. So she's had a clip around her back legs, and also both paws today.

Alfie suffers from a seriously fluffy bum. The black hair grows so much more quickly than the white, and more thickly, so I've taken to clipping his back end quite often. And when it gets hot I clip him all over. I think you'll find that the fluffiness will be with Meg forever.

I use a Karlie Coat king, which is possibly half the price of the Mars - from Groomers On line www.groomers-online.com - karlie 12 blade coat king. They're great for getting the bulk out of a fluffy coat and well worth the money.

I also use a Furminator every day on their backs, sides and chest to get the shed hair out of the coat. I use the orange one - Medium size (width) for long hair.

I use cheap thinning scissors to help keep areas tidy, as cutting with a straight scissors will leave steps in the fur and looks bad.

I use curved nail scissors for getting knots out.

And I use my own hair clippers for general clipping, and also for doing the bottom of the paws. I only cut the fur to expose the pad bottoms. I do not cut the fur from in between the pads as in my experience the fur is there to stop any bits of gravel, etc from getting in. I took Alfie to a dog groomers taster day once at the local college, and she removed all the fur from between the pads. And Alfie had nothing but trouble when we walked down the road. So I won't be doing that again. Also don't do the ear flap which sits opposite the ear hole, as Alfie spent days repeatedly flicking his ears after she did that.

Alfie's coat is much thicker than Lexie's, and he gets a full body clip whenever it starts to get sticky. But I generally try to keep his belly and undercarriage short to reduce the amount of junk that he brings home.

DSCF2105-dog-groom-fur.jpg DSCF2107-dog-groom-fur.jpg DSCF2111-dog-groom-fur.jpg DSCF2112-dog-groom-fur.jpg

This is after I used clippers on her back legs this morning. She'd not been brushed when I took this
    DSCF3442-Lexie-shaved-bum-June-17-2014.jpg

The second half of this video will interest you

Last edited by Mark Ellis; 06-21-2014 at 12:53 PM.
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Many thanks for your replies. Maybe a "skinhead" look ( only joking!!) would not be the way to go but a good trim, without clippers, would be best. Although I have a pair of thinning scissors I'm worried about doing it myself in case I catch her but I have trimmed her feet in the past.

It's not the ruby coat that is the problem it's the blond bits that are such a horrible texture. Like Mark , I use scissors to cut into larger tangles and we use both a furminator and coat king on her. She is thoroughly groomed at least once a day but still looks a total scruffy individual

'ByFloSin' - do you have photo of your little man trimmed in a Cocker Cut that I could take to the groomer to show what I'd like Nutmeg to look like?
    Last edited by Itsonlyme; 06-23-2014 at 04:05 PM.
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

Ah ... if it's simply the texture of the coat that is concerning, try The Stuff (again from Hub). I think they do a sample size. You dilute it with water and spray it on - in fact, they may even make an already diluted spray, I can't remember. Leave it in the coat to dry, and it will help with the cotton!
    Sheena Stevens

Here are photos of Jake and Sydney with their "clipped" back and trimmed feathering.

If you get a good groomer the coat is well blended in at the clipping line.. Jake is the best example. You can't see where the clippers have been on him..

As for the possibility of thickening of the coat after clipping, we have been very lucky as none of our 3 have had a coat texture change....Sydney has always been a yeti monster
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Stephanie,
    Have you ever tried a stripping stone on the blonde bits? Ruby puppies often display the blonde look when their puppy coat is dropping out and the new coat not ready to come in. I have just been through it with my 11 month ruby bitch. The look is just the same as a neutered ruby coat which grows the light coloured top fuzz.
    I have been reasonably successful in getting rid of it using a combination of the stripping stone(which is really a piece of lightweight black charcoal), and a fine Real stripper. - sometimes one, sometimes the other. You will find both of these on Hubint or Petcetera. Any problems and I will look them up for you.
    Elspeth

Default Fly away

Lexie's coat is more "Fly away" compared to Alfie's being curly. 4 of these were taken after a bath, and show how her hair just flies

DSCF1160.jpg DSCF1161.jpg DSCF1162.jpg DSCF1164.jpg DSCF1317.jpg
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12