Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Promise in the wars ...

Poor wee Promise! Such a lot to get used to - not being able to see properly, then an anaesthetic, followed by a collar - not surprising she is feeling a bit precious. I have not found a way to let them eat with the collar on, so have always removed it just for the short time it takes to eat - maybe others have some tips?
    Fingers crossed for both of you!
    Elspeth

2. Default

Signs of life - I put her on the table to sort her drops and pills out, and hand fed her, piece by piece, some soaked food, about half her usual portion, she can have the rest tonight. Managed to syringe some water in to her, thank heavens. She did take about four steps to follow me out of the door in to the garden, but then decided she needed to sit down. Fair enough, I thought.
    Sheena Stevens

Bijou did eat at the vets, but very little. She lost quite a lot of weight at first, but is putting it back on now. She has never been a greedy girl, and I have always had to keep Rascally and Raziela away as they are real gluttons. I have almost flat bowls with sloping sides and the collar fits over the bowl so not only is her head in the bowl, it is protecting it from any other dog who might be near! Not that there ever have been; Bijou usually eats alone and certainly while under medical care. The thing she couldn’t get was that she had to move round the bowl to eat all the food, so I’d have to watch her, and then when she’d eaten all in the area her mouth was, rotate the bowl so she had access fresh lot! Water was no problem: I thought it might be as I use those tower things. Almost the first thing she did when home was go up to one and somehow she managed to tilt her head to drink; a relief. She seemed to accept the collar with fairly good grace, and when I took it off to wash it I put her in a crate so she couldn't knock her eye on anything. She would sort of shrink when I put it back on, then relax as if to say "Oh well, got to put up with it. Again."

The last control Dr Goulle did the classic eye test: he covered her good eye and dropped a tissue from above her head height and about two feet away. Her poor eye and head followed it so he could tell she has reasonable vision. He also sked me to hold her head while he went right round to her right so that her left eye couldn't see him, said I could let go and waved something, and her head spun round. She could certainly see nothing for the first month after the stitches were removed.

Wind? Interesting! I think possibly the reason Dr Goulle used a biomaterial was because of the perfortion nature of Bijou's injury: i.e. it was profound so needed somethign to "fill" and thicken the cornea. He did mention the conjunctiva but didn't seem to think it was suitable.

I didn’t ask: how old is Promise?

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 06-25-2014 at 06:34 PM.

4. Default

Jane, she's nine and a half. Heart grade 4, but she went in to CHF last year. Barks at cars, nicks food off my plate if she can, snuggles up to me at night with a huge sigh of contentment and falls asleep. Never bred from, nothing to look at really, a rather old fashioned type of cavalier. Glorious chestnut, nothing lemony about her. By my Twiglet out of one of my H Illusion daughters.
    Sheena Stevens

Promise is not that much older than Bijou but it appears Bijou's heart may be better. You know we use a different system this side of the channel, and last time Bijou was controlled for the club, in September 2012, she was stade 2, of 4. Before this surgery she had a heart control by ultrasound. I have the photos and it's clearly not as sophisticated a machine as Dr Le Bobbinec's, but the cardiologue at this hospital concluded she was stade 2, still. Understandably they weren't interested in an 18 month old ultrasound when she went for surgery, just commented it was good I'd done it regularly and with Dr L B, who does have a certain reputation as a leading veterinary cardiologist. I don't bother to explain the club rules.

I love Promise's name! Nicking food off the plate I know, although Bijou has better manners than some of the others! Mine don't bark at cars but do at cyclists and the rare pedestrian unless it’s someone they know. Recently there have been loads of Lycra clad men whizzing past on their bikes, heads low, in groups of up to ten: no, they don’t appeal to me AT all, and the dogs clearly think they are very strange. The dogs also bark at one neighbour when he goes past on his moped; Mr A, whose name rhymes with the French word for a frog, does look a bit like one - green moped, green helmet, and the dogs clearly think he looks odd.

I hope Promise is eating better, although I suspect she might rather think she can train you to hand feed her

Jane

6. Default

Oh, don't talk to me about Lycra clad men on bikes!! Over the past couple of years they've discovered the lanes around here, and can be found at pretty much any time of the day or night. They rarely travel alone, and are rapidly climbing to the same antisocial plateau as those who drive with their sound systems at full pitch booming away, which you hear before the car engine - the bikers shout to each other as they cycle.

To be honest she could probably train me to do just about anything at this point!! But I discovered this morning that my biggest mistake has been to accompany her when she goes out - she does the "I can do four steps but then I simply have to sit down," routine. So heart in mouth I left her on her own ... she had a little potter, but as soon as she saw me again she sat down, "I am so very frail."

So I left her again, and in fact went out of the kitchen - when I came back, she'd come inside and managed to jump in to her cage! So much for tenderly lifting her!
    Last edited by Madam Grump; 06-26-2014 at 09:01 AM.
    Sheena Stevens

Looks like she has you in the palm of her hand, Sheena! The girls are so good at manipulating us, are they not? So glad she is joining the world again - and glad you are too!
    Elspeth

8. Default

Thanks Elspeth ... here's a picture to gladden your heart ... day one post surgery ...2014-06-26 DAY 1 PS1.jpg
    Sheena Stevens

Oh jings! Not a pretty sight Sheena. But marvellous that they can do so much to help, even starting off with this! Must be heart-warming to an Ophthalmologist that he can make a difference.

The cyclists here don't seem to talk to each other, but they do make me a bit cross when they ride three or four abreast in our country lanes and don't go into single file to let cars pass. This IS in the Code de la Route, French equivalent of the Highway Code. I suspect it's a bit of macho with their fellow cyclists "I'm going faster than you so I won't pull over." I don't use my horn; my method is to put on a CD with loud drums: Frankie goes to Hollywood, or similar, and turn it up really loud! I don't have a really thumping sound system, just the one that came with the car, but it’s usually enough to work: they turn round and give me dirty looks then pull over. I think it's also a bit of a shock that this old woman is playing this type of music: she must be crazy, what else might she do?

Promise’s eye is not dissimilar in appearance to Bijou’s when the stitches came out: lots of blood vessels; a good sign. I’m amused that she is putting it on a bit! But then, she is a Cavalier.

Bijou has to be lifted into the car, and out of it while she wore the collar. Then when we came out of the vets with the collar off she jumped in as soon as I opened the tailgate. My car is a Fiat Idea and not a proper Estate so the tailgate is a bit high. I don't remember the last time she jumped in on her own before that.

Jane