Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: When do I start worrying?

Default When do I start worrying?

Hi all,

The title if this thread is a little silly as I am clearly already worrying. But am I justified in this?

Rosie...my one year one month Cav...has recently started rubbing her head along carpet and digging her head into the sofa and running along the length of it. This is a reasonably new behaviour...she only used to do it after a bath before. During the head rubbing she sometimes makes a sort of a grunting noise...but it's never any yelping as if in pain...more grunting from the stupendous activity involved. She shakes her head from side to side (briskly so her ears go up and down) especially when her harness is on...but she has always done this. And she has been scratching a bit more then normal...although she caught fleas from my mates cats...which was promptly cleared up...but could be residue itchiness from that.

I have taken her to the vets who saw she had a tiny bit of gunk in one ear but said it was normal. She said she wouldn't rule out SM but that her symptoms at present aren't enough to be worried.

Certainly online it seems the primary symptoms involve pain...and she doesn't have this. She never yelps when I pet her...I have even tried a firm petting around her head and neck but she was fine. She doesn't yelp or cry out in pain at all. And it is worth noting that when she is out and about she doesn't do the head thing...unless there is carpet and she might. But for instance we have barely been in the house this weekend and she didn't do it at all!

Sorry for the essay. But I keep worrying...then calming myself...then worrying again.

Quote Originally Posted by keniki View Post
    Hi all,

The title if this thread is a little silly as I am clearly already worrying. But am I justified in this?

But I keep worrying...then calming myself...then worrying again.
    What a dreadful shame your enjoyment of being the owner of a beautiful puppy is marred by your fears. The only way to resolve those fears is to subject your baby to a full general anaesthetic, then put her through an MRI scanner and prepare to have her results explained to you.

In the UK you would probably discover the BVA Panel will grade her with CM, as my understanding is, that has been the case for every Cavalier to date that the panel has assessed ready for publication.

May I ask if you have discussed this rather sad situation with your breeder?

To just keep worrying and wondering is neither fair on you as her owner, or your puppy for being under such intense scrutiny.

Thank you for sharing this with us all, and I hope others will also respond to your post.

Warm regards,
    Veronica.

I think you've already started, which is a shame. And very difficult not to do. I wonder whether you might try putting some Thornit in her ears? If it's not her ears that are causing her discomfort, it won't do any harm, and if it is you'll see the difference. You can get it from Hub International (always assuming you don't use it already). I've never found anything prescribed by my vet for ears as helpful as it can be.
    Sheena Stevens

Hi there,
    You are definitely NOT alone! We all worry, particularly with new puppies. Even those of us who know there is little to worry about, still do it!
    Yesterday we had the back grass cut, down to the wood! Immediately all my cavaliers started rubbing themselves along the grass, or rolling on it (depending on their age). Just pure Joie de Vivre at having a nice smooth surface to rub or roll on.
    I think your vet has given you some sensible advice: her symptoms(if that is what they are) aren't enough to be worried.

Right now, the pollen count is high so some of mine are rubbing their faces, and others who are casting their coat are doing the same. Lots of reasons why they might want to shimmy along the grass.

I think you should simply be observant and do your best to put this out of your mind for now. Not easy I know, but better for you and the pup right now.

Good Luck
    Elspeth

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post
    What a dreadful shame your enjoyment of being the owner of a beautiful puppy is marred by your fears. The only way to resolve those fears is to subject your baby to a full general anaesthetic, then put her through an MRI scanner and prepare to have her results explained to you.

In the UK you would probably discover the BVA Panel will grade her with CM, as my understanding is, that has been the case for every Cavalier to date that the panel has assessed ready for publication.

May I ask if you have discussed this rather sad situation with your breeder?

To just keep worrying and wondering is neither fair on you as her owner, or your puppy for being under such intense scrutiny.

Thank you for sharing this with us all, and I hope others will also respond to your post.

Warm regards,
    Veronica.
    NO I haven't discussed it with the breeder...to be honest I wasn't sure how to approach it? I know the only way for diagnosis is to have her go through an MRI...but the vet didn't seem to think we were at that point yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Madam Grump View Post
    I think you've already started, which is a shame. And very difficult not to do. I wonder whether you might try putting some Thornit in her ears? If it's not her ears that are causing her discomfort, it won't do any harm, and if it is you'll see the difference. You can get it from Hub International (always assuming you don't use it already). I've never found anything prescribed by my vet for ears as helpful as it can be.
    I will look into that...thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Hi there,
    You are definitely NOT alone! We all worry, particularly with new puppies. Even those of us who know there is little to worry about, still do it!
    Yesterday we had the back grass cut, down to the wood! Immediately all my cavaliers started rubbing themselves along the grass, or rolling on it (depending on their age). Just pure Joie de Vivre at having a nice smooth surface to rub or roll on.
    I think your vet has given you some sensible advice: her symptoms(if that is what they are) aren't enough to be worried.

Right now, the pollen count is high so some of mine are rubbing their faces, and others who are casting their coat are doing the same. Lots of reasons why they might want to shimmy along the grass.

I think you should simply be observant and do your best to put this out of your mind for now. Not easy I know, but better for you and the pup right now.

Good Luck
    Elspeth
    Do yours make a noise when they do face rubbing? She doesn't yelp...just grunts a bit...is this a sign of pain or enjoyment would you say?

Thank you all!

Mine certainly makes a noise when she does this! Is there a certain point in the day she does it? Tula will do this out of happiness when she gets something tasty to eat, she also does it every morning without fail after we have all got up and said hello and given her a cuddel, she will have a little roll around the room rubbing her face off the carpet and couch and making quite the noise as she goes (a little gruntty noise). She ends it all will a good back roll, jumps up shakes and then goes bouncing down for her breakfast or throws a ball at us. We take it as her being happy :-)

It is hard not to be worried though, Tula is epileptic so I have lost count of times she has thrown herself down with a thud to do face rub and I have came running thinking she is about to have a seizure only to have her upside down face smilling away at me as she wiggles all over the floor.

The way I see it is she is a happy wee dog, she makes us happy too and altough they were scary at first we can cope with the seizures....I know they can be too much for some owners. I'm glad we have her...sickness and all because I would hate this happy wee soul to be with someone who could not look after her properly.

Yes, a kind of growly grunt - a pleasure noise. My almost 6 year-old ruby dog is the worst - he does so love to roll and grumble. He scanned CM2 SM0a, aged 5 so it is unlikely to be a syrinx causing the behaviour. Pure pleasure!
    Elspeth

Yes, a kind of growly grunt - a pleasure noise. My almost 6 year-old ruby dog is the worst - he does so love to roll and grumble. He scanned CM2 SM0a, aged 5 so it is unlikely to be a syrinx causing the behaviour. Pure pleasure!
    Elspeth
    If we had access to a 'LIKE' icon... I would be ticking that box right now Elspeth

Kind regards,
    Veronica.

Quote Originally Posted by Roslyn View Post
    Mine certainly makes a noise when she does this! Is there a certain point in the day she does it? Tula will do this out of happiness when she gets something tasty to eat, she also does it every morning without fail after we have all got up and said hello and given her a cuddel, she will have a little roll around the room rubbing her face off the carpet and couch and making quite the noise as she goes (a little gruntty noise). She ends it all will a good back roll, jumps up shakes and then goes bouncing down for her breakfast or throws a ball at us. We take it as her being happy :-)

It is hard not to be worried though, Tula is epileptic so I have lost count of times she has thrown herself down with a thud to do face rub and I have came running thinking she is about to have a seizure only to have her upside down face smilling away at me as she wiggles all over the floor.

The way I see it is she is a happy wee dog, she makes us happy too and altough they were scary at first we can cope with the seizures....I know they can be too much for some owners. I'm glad we have her...sickness and all because I would hate this happy wee soul to be with someone who could not look after her properly.
    YES!! Oh wow I can't tell you how pleased I am to read the latest replies to this thread! She does it every morning when she gets up...or if she has been in her crate and then let out.

Elspeth
    Thank you thank you thank you!!!!

It's hard not to worry...especially as she is my first dog and I am not fully with it on the different sounds etc they make. I didn't want to ignore a potential noise of pain!

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Hull View Post
    If we had access to a 'LIKE' icon... I would be ticking that box right now Elspeth

Kind regards,
    Veronica.
    Agreed!!!!!!!!

My ' face rubber' is nearly 11 and scanned SM free at 5 years.

She has done it all her life, always after dinner or a big drink and runs along on her head and shoulder one way...then back down the other...wagging her tail all the way.
    NO other symptoms at all.
    Please remember that the condition SM is categorised as presenting with pain...

Try not to worry, difficult I know .... I had one bitch scanned early because of of the nagging worry, squeaked every time I picked her up, combed a single hair!...she too was clear of SM and still symptom free at 8.

Chin up, be positive.

Mary