Thread: Scent work training

Default Scent work training

Just thought I would share a video of my very clever Cav doing some scent work training on a day workshop. This proves to all those who doubt a Cav's intelligence that they are pretty smart! This was her first harder "find" and she did so well!! She indicated quite early...it was me who missed it

Anyways here you go.

http://youtu.be/6_ILwZOE_f4

Hope that works. Please excuse my bum in this!!

Well done!

Not all Cavaliers are cut out to do this sort of excercise, but when they are, they enjoy it!

I did obedience with one of mine, a long time ago. Madam did well on handler's scent but never understood "send away"; I couldn't teach her properly. She was the only Cavalier in our training club to reach the top class; and most of the others were Border Collies with a sprinkling of German Shepherds, Dobermanns and Labradors. One fellow student went on to win the obedience dog ticket at Crufts 1985 with her working sheepdog Ob Ch Domino Double, but she did go to a more exacting club to train him.. Oh dear, now I feel old.

I've tried with others of mine but none has had quite the correct temperament.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    Well done!

Not all Cavaliers are cut out to do this sort of excercise, but when they are, they enjoy it!

I did obedience with one of mine, a long time ago. Madam did well on handler's scent but never understood "send away"; I couldn't teach her properly. She was the only Cavalier in our training club to reach the top class; and most of the others were Border Collies with a sprinkling of German Shepherds, Dobermanns and Labradors. One fellow student went on to win the obedience dog ticket at Crufts 1985 with her working sheepdog Ob Ch Domino Double, but she did go to a more exacting club to train him.. Oh dear, now I feel old.

I've tried with others of mine but none has had quite the correct temperament.

Jane
    Oh wow Madam did pretty well then!! I am hoping Rosie continues to improve...we are going to the stage two in September. In our group there were three cockers, one terrier and one lab...then Rosie.

This is one breed that love to please, my ruby boy Rocky last night achieved his Gold good citizens and today he is 3 years old, also has qualified for Crufts (breed classes) next year! Very proud of this boy, well done to you too.x

My B&T Nell achieved her Gold good citizens award and loved scent work the only trouble was that she also loved to socialize in between each sniff and would happily run to whoever was nearby for a fuss and praise for her good work! she created many a laugh and her little antics were just beautiful to watch and it was all carried out in such true friendly Cavalier spirit! My little Sheltie on the other hand was just born to work like this and she is marvellous to train and watch.

Alison.

Brenda, is that your little singleton? Well done!
    Sheena Stevens

Not scent, but at one Christmas party of my training club we had games, including “Can your dog retrieve a sausage?”. They were cooked! One bouncy Labrador wolfed his down and then looked around and at his master as if to say “What did you want me to bring back?” Madam did retrieve hers, as did seven others, so we had first a run off: no spoken commands; hand signals only. She ran out and picked up the sausage, came half way back, lay down and looked away from me, ate half, made eye contact with me again and brought the other half back!

There were four left, all working sheepdogs, and for the second run-off time the handlers had to stand with their backs to the dogs for the recall part. Two went round their handlers and did a proper present looking up into their handler’s face, but one caused hilarity as he presented to his handler’s behind, goosing her with the sausage which he held lengthways in his mouth.

Yes, they were all allowed to eat them in the end, and the trainers decided the dogs had suffered enough so the two took joint first place.

Here are Madam's certificates: I’d forgotten how young she was when she got into class four! She was born on 9 November 1977.

Jane
    Attached Images Attached Images