Thread: 14 days old and still no eyes

Default 14 days old and still no eyes

We have a litter of two ruby puppies who are 14 days old today, both boys. So far there isn't so much as a hint of eyes opening. For us, this is quite unusual; in the past we have always had eyes open by 14 days. I don't see any sign of bulging around the eyes like they can't get them open. If it matters, the puppies were pretty much on schedule when they were born, although we never did progesterone testing, so they could have been born a couple days early or late. They are very healthy and strong; one doubled his birth weight at nine days, the other at 6 days. So far I am slightly concerned, but not in panic mode. Should I be concerned enough to talk to our repro vet yet?
    Bruce H
    MysticKnight Cavaliers
    AKC Breeder of Merit

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce H View Post
    Should I be concerned enough to talk to our repro vet yet?
    Hi Bruce,
    I would give more time and let nature do this job in its own way. 14 days seems slow, but as long as there is no visible discharge or swelling I wouldn't be overly concerned, and I certainly wouldn't be seeking veterinary advice at this stage.
    I would give it one more week, (as long as there's no sign of swelling or discharge) ... then if the eye lids are still tightly closed I would seek advice from the experts. Out of interest, are the ears unsealed yet? ...

Please keep us posted,
    Kind regards,
    Veronica.

Thanks for the response Veronica. Ears are still tightly sealed. So I'll just worry a little bit and leave well enough alone for now. You would think that after 16 years I would learn to not worry so much, but this is a new one for us to not see eyes after 14 days.
    Bruce H
    MysticKnight Cavaliers
    AKC Breeder of Merit

oh Bruce,

the first litter I bred was in 1980 and I always worry! I've not been exactly a prolific breeder, but am of the opinion that the more you know and experience the more there is yet to learn - and experience.

I kept daily detailed notes for the first several litters, and when I refer back to them realise that every litter was different! My notes got less detailed and eventually became mostly just daily weight and notes of when eyes opened and when the pups started to play, as precocious as 18 days and as late as 28.

I'd be a bit concerned, but if the eyes weren't open by the time the ears begin to flop forward, then I might think about seeing a vet.

Jane

I should have known the minute I asked, they would open their eyes! They both finally opened (mostly) their eyes overnight. The one puppy stuck his tongue out at me and said the joke was on me! Fifteen days is the longest we have ever waited for eyes.

Almost forgot, thank you for the comments!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Bruce H
    MysticKnight Cavaliers
    AKC Breeder of Merit

yes - they try to keep us on our toes!

Jane

Just wanted to comment of the pictures....what beautiful babies!!! I can't believe how rich their ruby colour is. When we got Rosie (a ruby Cav) she was quite pale...although her colour is beautiful now!

Just gorgeous Bruce! Two wonderful little lives just starting out on their venture. It always amazes me just how fast they grow and all that they learn in such a short time and how they can be so independent of their mum so soon. I think I would just sit and watch them all day long not wanting to miss a single thing
    Wishing them both well xx

Alison.

Beautiful puppies! OF course they open their eyes the moment you reach out to others for advice
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

10. Default

I'm late to this thread Bruce, sorry. FWIW it's because they're boys that they take longer - females of any species are always slightly further along the developmental line when born. Honest Injun.
    Sheena Stevens