Thread: Cloudy Eye

Default Cloudy Eye

Today we went to the vets with Rosie...for skin issues. But while we were in the waiting room...which has a wall of glass letting the sunshine in...I noticed a cloudy patch in one of her eyes! This shocked me as it was quite big! I spend half my life gazing into one of my dogs' eyes so this was a shock! The vet thinks it is the end of an Ulcer...but she said I should have noticed it as it is so big. So I don't think it is. She gave her something to make her eyes green and shone a light in. She said it usually glows fluorescent if it is the remnants of an ulcer...but it was borderline! Whatever that means! She has given her antibiotic drops.

Has anyone had any experience of cloudiness in one eye? Can it just be an injury...ie temporary...she does play fight with my bigger puppy. Or is this something to be worried about?

I have - when a dog has an injury! I have had TWO recently who had corneal ulcers; one minor, but Bijou’s was very serious and she required a corneal graft. I find it extremely hard to believe a corneal ulcer could heal itself, as there is not, generally, a blood supply to the surface of the cornea. Any damage to the eye is almost certainly going to be compromised by bacteria which have virtually nothing to check them, as if there is no blood, there are no white cells. An ulcer can cause serious damage in a very short space of time. I also can’t imagine a dog having a cornea ulcer and showing no signs of pain or discomfort: there are loads of nerve endings on the cornea, as any of us who have worn contact lenses will know: it takes time to get adjusted!

I am far more inclined to think it may be lipidosis - the deposit of fat on the cornea, or maybe calcium: that condition has a different name that I can’t remember offhand. Not all general vets are aware of this, and it’s a strange condition. I haven't had one who had it for a decade or two, but for the one who did it would come and go and one day her eye would be bright and clear and the next there would be a little haze which could get more obvious and thicker or disappear again before becoming more obvious. It wasn’t connected to the weather or her seasons – it was just an odd thing. I think it was Dr Bedford in the UK who told me what it was, and that it was nothing to worry about.

The green dye, fluorescein, does show up an ulcer but also shows any slight abnormality on the cornea, because it fills the minute holes caused by the ulcer or other eye damage. Lipidosis causes a comparatively rough surface which can stain a little.

If you’re really anxious and it’s still there, take her to a veterinary ophthalmologist!

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 08-13-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Could be a number of things from the remains of an ulcer, dry eye or the beginning of a cataract. Likewise if your vet has given you antibiotic drops it could be an infection in the eye especially if the eye has discharge or the whites of the eye look red and sore or if Rosie has been bothered by it recently.
    A good idea to run alongside the drops, but not given at the same time is a basic eye lubricant like Viscotears or Lacrilube both available for a few pounds at a good chemist and these will stop the eyes becoming increasingly dry and sore, these are also really good when the eye has a healing ulcer or dry eye just pop them in a few times daily and before bedtime.
    If it is an infection you must be careful not to pass it from one eye to another or to other dogs so be careful when handling them. If the problem persists I wouldn't leave it long before asking to be referred to an Oplomologist to catch any eye problem earlier rather than leave it to become irretrievable damage, eyes are so precious.
    Let us know how she gets on.

Alison.

I'm with Jane on this one - I think it's more likely to be a lipid deposit. They do come and go - are you feeding a high fat content food? That can make a difference. Some dogs get them, some don't.

Other forum members will have to help me here - there's a small green human tablet supplement which you can give which is supposed to help break up fatty deposits on the eye, but I'm having a senior moment and can't remember the name of it. When it comes to me, I'll post it, but hopefully someone else will get there first!
    Sheena Stevens

Blog Entries

I go for Corneal Lipidosis too. I have had a couple of dogs who have had it who have presented in that way.

With regard to the possibility of Dry Eye, did the vet put a cardboard like graduated strip into each eye in turn for one minute to check the rate of tear production? Anything less than 15 is a likely indicator of Dry Eye, which is when one of the lubricants should be used, probably in conjunction with Optimune Ointment.

As has already been said, a Corneal Ulcer is excruciatingly painful leaving the poor sufferer to paw at the eye, possibly rub it's head against the ground and often to screech very loudly with the pain.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Here is a link to an article about corneal dystrophy. http://www.cavalierhealth.org/corneal.htm
    Rod Russell

Wow thank you to everyone who replied to this! I have looked up Corneal Dystrophy but it is very rare to only affect one eye...ETA: turns out this affects one eye then the other. So this is still being considered.

However I had never heard of Lipidosis...but now I have googled it and the images are definitely matching my Rosie's!! Nothing else has matched it!! I have actually just changed her diet...well about 2/3 months ago...to Eden dog food, which is not high in fat. It was chosen as it is near enough all natural ingredients. But will check it.

Her eyes are quite wet...but they always have been. I was told that in Cavs this is better than dry! Both her parents were clear of Dry Eye. Her eyes are a little red around the white part...but again this is usual for her. And she has been rubbing her head on the floor...but I asked about this recently in connection with SM and was reassured that it is normal. She has shown no sign of pain. Though I have noticed she blinks a lot.

I am going to the vet tomorrow with her and will ask about Lipidosis...I will look into an Opthalmologist.

Thanks everyone!
    Last edited by keniki; 08-14-2014 at 09:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by keniki View Post
    ... I have looked up Corneal Dystrophy but it is very rare to only affect one eye...ETA: turns out this affects one eye then the other. So this is still being considered.

However I had never heard of Lipidosis...but now I have googled it and the images are definitely matching my Rosie's!! ...
    Corneal dystrophy and lipidosis are related conditions. Corneal dystrophy can be a cause of lipidosis and usually starts in one eye but eventually progresses to affect the second eye.
    Rod Russell

My second Cavalier, Rufus, used to get small fatty deposits in his eyes, as far as I can remember (it was 25 years or so ago) they used to come & go, and never bothered him, and he never had any treatment for them.

I had to check up on spelling for this but calcium deposits on the eye itself is known as band keratopathy - I know because both myself and my husband have had this happen - but for completely different reasons! Mine was as a result of a combination of damage to the surface of my eye and chronic uveitis, which is extremely painful. The deposits can be removed under anaesthetic as they can affect vision.

Rosemary