Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Confused newbie seeking advice

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    I donít pretend to know the situation on the USA and I think it is rather unreasonable of Mr Russell to give advice to anyone not in the USA; i.e., someone who lives in a country out of his experience, based on what he perceives in the USA. His site would be a wonderful deterrent for the puppy farmer, but sadly they probably donít read it.

In over 30 years of breeding Cavaliers, albeit on a rather small scale, the ONLY dogs I have ever know to have diabetes were mongrels belonging to people I know! ...
    Back in the 1970s, we had two UK imports littermates, sired by Alansmere Aquarius, that had diabetes mellitus and required daily insulin injections. You have your anecdotes and I have mine.
    Rod Russell

Quote Originally Posted by Madam Grump View Post
    Because if you believe what the Bible says, you can count the generations listed in Genesis from Adam up to the birth of Christ, then you add on another 2000 years or so since the birth of Christ, and hey presto, you've got 6,000 years. So therefore it's a fact. (Don't shoot the messenger, guys.) However, if you lean towards even a slightly more scientific viewpoint it is somewhat difficult to believe. I expect that's where faith comes in?
    The 6,000 years is based upon lots of scientific research. Faith -- blind faith -- comes in heavy and deep when you believe in Darwinian evolution.
    Rod Russell

3. Default

Well, that scientific research is hardly likely to have been independent or peer reviewed, one suspects. All a tad too fundamentalist for me, I'm afraid.
    Sheena Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by Madam Grump View Post
    Well, that scientific research is hardly likely to have been independent or peer reviewed, one suspects. All a tad too fundamentalist for me, I'm afraid.
    The research I'm referring to has been peer-reviewed. Not that peer-review makes biased views correct. There are peer-reviewed articles insisting that global warming still is occurring and that ignore the FACT that the earth's temperature readings have been stagnant to cooler over the past 15 years. So, in some areas of scientific research, peer-review is in the eyes of the beholder.
    Rod Russell

seems to have gone off on a tangent.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

What I would say is that if you put Alansmere Aquarius into the KC Mate Select it shows 21 litter's and only the last has more than one puppy. I would assume that the records are not complete. However Crufts BIS and only 21 litters ? Why ?
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

Well, I suppose I should have expected some differences of opinion on the forum, given the variety of opinion elsewhere.

Bridgette's original reply helped clear up some of my questions - thank you.

I've thought about things a lot over the last few days and have drawn up a list of what it seems to me to be sensible and reasonable to use as a basis for selecting litters to look at for potential puppies in the UK. It has some 'non-negotiable' items and some others which are desirable but not essential.

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell View Post
    Back in the 1970s, we had two UK imports littermates, sired by Alansmere Aquarius, that had diabetes mellitus and required daily insulin injections. You have your anecdotes and I have mine.
    Mmm - an anecdote from quite a while ago, and yes, before I had my first Cavalier, who was born in 1977. Mine wasn't really an anecdote, just observations over a period of 30 odd years in which time I have been actively involved in the world of Cavaliers in Europe.

I have a fair amount of data on breedmate, but only details of 21 progeny of Alansmere Aquarius, 17 different bitches. There were 60+ in the next generation. Maybe he wasn't used much? I imagine the ones in the USA that had diabetes were not bred from, so they won't be in my database.

Jane

Mmm - an anecdote from quite a while ago, and yes, before I had my first Cavalier, who was born in 1977. Mine wasn't really an anecdote, just observations over a period of 30 odd years in which time I have been actively involved in the world of Cavaliers in Europe.
    Anything that isn't statistical is anecdotal. At http://www.cavalierhealth.org/diabet...nary_Resources you will find at least 5 veterinary studies of diabetes in CKCSs, the first one reported in 2007. Studies in that group report: "An interleukin-10 haplotype appears to be associated with diabetes mellitus in the Cavalier King Charles spaniel." So, this is not ancient history. Ironically, you will find that John Evans reported diabetes among his list of 19 anomalies in the cavalier, at page 36 of his book.

George Padgett listed it in his book, Control of Canine Genetic Diseases. And, it is included in the Guide to Congenital and Heritable Disorders in Dogs at Section II(85).

I have a fair amount of data on breedmate, but only details of 21 progeny of Alansmere Aquarius, 17 different bitches. There were 60+ in the next generation. Maybe he wasn't used much? I imagine the ones in the USA that had diabetes were not bred from, so they won't be in my database.
    I need to make a correction. I went back to the pedigrees and found that Aquarius was one of the two grand-sires. He was mated to Dorquette Apple Blossom. That litter included the sire of my family's two puppies. The litter was born in the USA because the bitch was imported while pregnant. The two puppies my family acquired were both bitches and were not mated.
    Rod Russell

Poor Avalon - I bet they are wishing they hadn't asked now.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS