Thread: Please help Me

Default Please help Me

I am trying to find a healthy puppy by researching as best as possible but I really need expert opinion here please.
    I have found a puppy but there is a nagging worry.
    I have asked all the health questions and they have been answered but can someone advise, the chosen pup's G.G.G. Grandfather on his mother's side, is his G. Grandfather on his father's side.
    Is this a potential risk to my pup's health? Is this unacceptable interbreeding, or good line breeding please?
    I am so confused.
    Hope someone answers.
    Janemop.

Have you asked the breeder themselves this question?
    If they have been open and honest with you so far then I would listen to their answer and to their own opinions as breeders to your question.
    If they are fully health testing their dogs (Hearts, Eyes, DE/CC & MRI) and have shown you all the results and explained them to you then maybe you should take some confidence in what they have already done...which is a lot.

It would be a relevant question to ask about the health and history of this dog that you are so worried about. If he lived to a ripe old age with no health issues then maybe this would help you decide what to do.

Alison.

I would have thought that perfectly acceptable, especially if you've had all your queries on health satisfactorily answered and have seen the paperwork. I imagine his pedigree 'opens up' down from the GGG and G grandfathers on both sides. The old rule for linebreeding used to be to go in no more than twice and then go out. It's always a worry when buying a pup, but your breeder should be able to answer any queries you might have, and no one can foretell the future - best to do the best you can and then enjoy him!
    Sheena Stevens

That doesn't look like close breeding to me, or anything to worry about! My first Cavalier's father was full brother to her grandfather, and Madam lived to 15 1/2 with few health problems. The only one she had was when she picked up an infection after whelping. That was close breeding, but if you think in human terms, first cousins may marry, and they share one set of grandparents.

I have a programme which can calculate the coefficient of inbreeding over ten generations. My Madam came out at 17.67, but dogs who don't appear to be as closely bred have, by virtue of more common ancestors in generations six, seven etc., come out at over 20. The highest I've found is 25%, but I have not calculated that many; there are 20,000 dogs on my database.

Breeding closely cannot generally cause problems, but it can show them up. It can also double up on good things; the problem is we can't tell which will happen. If the common ancestor was dog who lived a long healthy life I'd like to see him or her more than once in a pedigree.

Jane

Thanks for your replies everyone.
    You all have helped.
    Is there somewhere I can research how long a stud dog lived?

He may be on the Golden Oldies list on the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club website, failing that ask the owner.

If recent (last few years) you might find the dog listed on this forum under "Rainbow Bridge"
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

A rule of thumb was that good line breeding was that:-
    The sire of the sire should be the grandsire of the dam on the dam's side. See page 70 Cavalier King Charles Spaniels Eilidh M. Stenning published by Foyles