Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Last Chance

1. Default Last Chance

Since my lovely wee Cav passed around 2 years ago, I have been looking for an year+ pup without success. In the last 16 months or so, I have contacted many breeders and Rescue Centres without success. I have decided to give my search for an older dog until the end of the year. If I cannot find what I am looking for by then (and I have my doubts) I will be looking for a new pup. My wife and I have discussed this and agree that our home feels empty without our dog and that after the New Year (which is only a few weeks away), it will be time to start the search for a new pup. We live in Perthshire, Scotland, and will appreciate any information from members regarding reputable breeders in our area that could provide a healthy Blenheim around Feb/March. I know this sounds far-off but we want to ensure that we find the right breeder and dog. I have never bred dogs and so have no idea what planning takes place. Maybe, I am being a bit premature but in my opinion, rather that than being in a rush.

Regards

Robin

Would suggest you contact the Kennel Club and ask for a list of Assured Breeders in your area.
    Minimum requirements for me would be find out how old both parents are under the MVD protocol they should be at least 2.5 yrs with parents over 5 all clear. Find out how many litters mum has had and often. Ask about the extended family and how many generations still live with them. Ask if the puppy will see a cardiologist before you get it. Also vaccination protocol and diesease prevention. Ask for a pedigree you can find out a lot by looking at the Golden Oldies and over 5's heart clear list. Check to see if the adults are eye tested and the puppies litter screened. Also ask about DNA testing, it's cheap and there's no excuse for people not to use this. MRI scanning, patella testing and hip scoring are all possible on the parents ask, if you don't understand the grading speak to someone who does. Most of all have confidence in the breederand be prepared to wait, if your not comfortable with them go elsewhere.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

3. Default

Thanks for all the information Bridgette. I will address each point you make as best as possible, probably starting with the KC.

Regards

Robin

Quote Originally Posted by bridgette View Post
    Minimum requirements for me would be find out how old both parents are under the MVD protocol they should be at least 2.5 yrs with parents over 5 all clear. Find out how many litters mum has had and often. Ask about the extended family and how many generations still live with them. Ask if the puppy will see a cardiologist before you get it. Also vaccination protocol and diesease prevention.
    Ask for a pedigree, and over 5's heart clear list. Check to see if the adults are eye tested and the puppies litter screened. Also ask about DNA testing, it's cheap and there's no excuse for people not to use this. MRI scanning, patella testing and hip scoring are all possible on the parents ask, if you don't understand the grading speak to someone who does. Most of all have confidence in the breederand be prepared to wait, if your not comfortable with them go elsewhere.
    I think Bridgette has offered some excellent advice Robin and I would agree with all of the above.... However.... ( now why is there always a 'however' involved? ) I do feel a couple of points made should be clarified to give a fuller picture.

"you can find out a lot by looking at the Golden Oldies "
    The 'Golden Oldie' list on the CKCS Club website is sadly out of date even after a request asking owners to update when these beloved family members are no longer physically 'here'
    I just checked, then cut & pasted below this CURRENT list, and would LOVE to believe all these TWENTY YEAR OLD Cavaliers are still enjoying life on their owners laps, but sadly I do not believe that is the case for this 'impressive list of over 20's' ??? .... and this is the very reason some of us who DO have very lively, healthy 16 and 17 year olds refuse to use this list until it reflects a more realistic picture.

Stonepit Johnathon
    Born: 14th May 1994
    20.5 years old.
    Owned by:

Fennyfare Violet Elizabeth at Cinderlace
    Born: 29th May 1994
    20.5 years old.
    Owned by:

Greenabella Rockerfella
    Born: 9th June 1994
    20.4 years old.
    Owned by:

Banderillas Brigitte Barbro
    Born: 6th September 1994
    20.2 years old.
    Owned by:

Poundroll Orange Blossom
    Born: 17th October 1994
    20.1 years old.
    Owned by:

Honeybet Half Pint
    Born: 14th November 1994
    20.0 years old.
    Owned by:

Honeybet Honeysuckle Rose
    Born: 14th November 1994
    20.0 years old.
    Owned by:

Linjato Motown Philly
    Born: 15th December 1994
    19.9 years old.
    Owned by:

For those 20 year plus Cavaliers still amongst us I say, will the owners confirm this data so we can all celebrate this amazing achievement.

The other contentious issue is this:

"I would suggest you contact the Kennel Club and ask for a list of Assured Breeders in your area."
    I have to add that a VERY small number of reputable Cavalier breeders are comfortable having their name associated with this flawed KC Scheme, and most who are AB members say they are only in this scheme in an attempt to change it from the inside.... so the vast majority of Cavalier breeders who are also members of a CKCS Club will have nothing to do with this Scheme until the Kennel Club address all the short comings presently within the Scheme.

Good luck in your search.... there are some excellent breeders in Scotland and I'm sure you will find them because you are doing some impressive homework which will surely pay dividends in the long term

Kind regards,
    Veronica.

You've been looking for a long time - I do hope you have some luck with finding a new puppy!

Rosemary

I understand the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club will be addressing the problems with the Golden Oldies list and it's inaccuracies. However. it should be used as a numerical exercise on affix's. ie, better to have 10 dogs reaching double digits than just one.
    I totally agree with Veronica's comments re the KC ABS, it's more of ticking boxes but premises are now being inspected and it's a starting point as those involved in the scheme may well be happy to point you in the right direction as will contacting the Clubs Puppy Registers.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

7. Default

Thanks to all for the replies. I have contacted the KC to find, quite surprisingly, that only two 'Assured Breeders' are registered here in Scotland. However, I have found that the Scottish Cavalier Club have a number of member breeders, all of whom are required to undertake onerous health test on pups - eyes, ears and SM, and the previous generations history before they are registered for sale. I should think then that the Scottish club breeders are more likely to be the providers of my new pup. As I am looking for my new dog around Feb/March next and considering the 63 days, there abouts and the 10 - 12 weeks of age the pup should be before leaving mum, there is probably a mum carrying my new pup right now! That makes me feel good.

Regards

Robin

8. Default

Following on from my previous comments, I thought I would explore the possibility of any breeder from the Scottish Cavalier club also subscribing to this forum and to ask if they would let me know of any pups they are aware of that would be for sale around Feb/March next year. Alternatively, if they are aware of any such members and their contact details.

Regards

Robin

Robin,
    If you want to PM me, I can tell you who keeps the puppy register up here. I don't know of any puppies right now but they may well do.
    Elspeth

Quote Originally Posted by Macwallace View Post
    Since my lovely wee Cav passed around 2 years ago, I have been looking for an year+ pup without success. In the last 16 months or so, I have contacted many breeders and Rescue Centres without success. I have decided to give my search for an older dog until the end of the year. ...
    Robin hi

By your mention of Rescue centres, I presume that you're happy to take just about any dog rather than just a fully health tested dog with pedigree

If you can't find one or two at any rescue centre, then can I suggest that you take a look at that god awful site Gumtree. It seems to always have cavaliers for sale on it that need rescuing. Many of which are free to a good home or really cheap

There are people who will help transport a cavalier for you, so there is no need to limit your search to Perthshire or even just Scotland
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12