Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: the only one....... Bijou is a granny!

Default the only one....... Bijou is a granny!

At last, a litter!! OK, just one puppy but Hula had been scanned so I knew that already. A ruby bitch, weighing in at 192 grams and feeding well. Hula is very protective.

I can thank the ruby Dad; Impy du Mont Berrue; for the right sex, but Hula is responsible for the colour. I’d have preferred a black and tan as I had a name lined up: Licorice. No, not Liquorice – something easier to spell for France.

This year's letter is "L" and as I often call Hula “Lulu” or “Loolyloos” I’ll have to think hard to find something not too similar. Luckily, although I have to register the litter within a week or so, I have eight weeks before I need a definitive name.

Jane
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats Jane - I often think there turns out to be something v. special in the relationship with singletons.

Why is Hula responsible for the colour?

Lola?
    Sheena Stevens

Gorgeous! Well done Hula

Alison.

just beautiful

Hula is black and tan, carrying ruby; Impy, the father, is ruby - so Hula passed the recessive ruby gene down instead of the black and tan

Lola is too similar to Hula, but I did have a thought!! I hadn't been out of the house for a few days, waiting for her to start labour, but as she was nicely settled went into the village to stock up on fresh veg etc.

I also took back tins of cat food that Jasmine won't eat: I'd bought chunks and she only likes paté......... Joking with the woman in the supermarket, I said "She's only an alley cat, but our animals are luxuries." and it came! Luxury! Luxury du Nid du Faisan - sounds OK, and is true

How odd - as I typed, Jasmine banged on the window to be let in!

Jane

Hula was herself a singleton, and Hazel's first litter was just one puppy. Hazel had three after the next mating to the same dog, then four each in the next two litters by another dog.

Bijou was accidentally mated at her first season. It was a classic: visitors who forgot about keeping doors, ground floor windows and gates closed despite the fact I’d told them I HAVE A PUPPY BITCH IN SEASON AND A DOG WHO CLIMBS FENCES. They failed to understand why I couldn’t let a ten month old puppy have a litter. They are people with whom I no longer have any contact………

The vet gave her prostaglandin at about 22 - 25 days: he detected at least four or five embryos.

Bijou then had just two ruby dog puppies from her first proper mating.

She missed at the next two matings, but I think she was desperately stressed the first time as it was when Tom was in and out of hospital. On the second occasion she almost gave the stud dog owner heart failure by disappearing. After he'd searched the neighbouring countryside in ever increasing anxiety he went back into his yard and looked round, wondering how on earth she could possibly have got out without his other bitches following her. Then he heard a noise, looked inside his barn and discovered she'd climbed a normal runged ladder into a hayloft and was looking down pleadingly waiting for him to rescue her. "Why couldn’t she have barked?" he asked. It was the first time I'd known her climb an ordinary ladder.

At her last mating to a different dog she also stayed with the family and caused havoc by playing with a six week old litter and teaching them to tunnel under a fence into the vegetable garden.......... not really acting her age; Marina said; I’d have expected a five and a half year old bitch to be a little more decorous.

I wondered whether Bijou’s subsequent small litters were anything to do with the fact that she’d been given prostaglandin, even though it’s not quite as dangerous as oestrogen.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    Hula is black and tan, carrying ruby; Impy, the father, is ruby - so Hula passed the recessive ruby gene down instead of the black and tan

Lola is too similar to Hula, but I did have a thought!! I hadn't been out of the house for a few days, waiting for her to start labour, but as she was nicely settled went into the village to stock up on fresh veg etc.

I also took back tins of cat food that Jasmine won't eat: I'd bought chunks and she only likes paté......... Joking with the woman in the supermarket, I said "She's only an alley cat, but our animals are luxuries." and it came! Luxury! Luxury du Nid du Faisan - sounds OK, and is true

How odd - as I typed, Jasmine banged on the window to be let in!

Jane
    I never cease to amaze myself by how dumb I can be ... no comments please, I'm sure others don't even raise an eyebrow.

I like Luxury - you could give her the call name Poule!!! (bad joke, bad joke)
    Sheena Stevens

Lovely baby Jane! Lucasta? Loretta?Louisa? Leah? Lottie, Louella?
    Elspeth

Lovely..... A new pup to keep you on your toes
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

mmm - good names...... Lucasta - pure light :-) Loretta - I'll be singing Coal Miner's Daughter to her.....

What usually happens is that by the end of eight weeks a name (or names) will have crystallised. I was going to call one puppy Storm: one day she was eating her breakfast out of a quiche dish (excellent for feeding puppies as they can gather round) and climbed in to lick all the little grooves on the inside. Tom said "You're a little flan, aren't you?" and Flan stuck. Her registered name was Jasenil Minnehaha, so nothing like, but I really do generally find it easier to give the dogs the same pet name as registered name.

I wish I were inventive or good at puns: a friend in another breed bred a dog whose mother she owned jointly with her brother: I’m not sure who chose the dog’s name: Stallfurt (her affix) After Ours. I was always amused at the Boxer Faerdorn Pheasant Plucker – I wouldn’t have dared! His Dad was Famous Grouse. A Cavalier was called So De Mall, and no-one seemed to notice.

Jane