Thread: KC announcement

Default KC announcement

The KC and BVA have just announced they will pay for MRI scans, taken before 2012, to be assessed for free.
    http://www.dogworld.co.uk//7ae293ee...90d5baddd1e293

"The KC Charitable Trust and the BVA have pledged up to 30,000 to assess old MRI scans for affected breeds, which were carried out before the development of the CM/SM Scheme. This means that many of those who MRI scanned their Cavaliers before 2012 will be able to have their results assessed for free which will help to provide as much data as possible to assist in understanding the condition.

They have said "assessed" but haven't clarified what that means and there are no instructions on how or whom to contact. As usual a headline grabber timed for Crufts. Steve Dean said last year this was under consideration so I sent him a list of my dogs on the 10th September 2014, never got a response. Looks like I'll be heading off to the KC stand on Sunday for some facts so watch this space.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

Interesting! I wonder if the number of comments on Facebook, etc., refuting the "fact" that breeders weren't scanning may have prompted this? I've seen quite a few where people say they HAD scanned but weren't going to pay another x do do it again.

Jane

it's not as simple as it sounds. First the person on the end of the phone at the BVA knew nothing about it and Sandra Webber is at Crufts until Monday. You have to contact the centre at which the scan was done rather than the person who did it. I don't have a contact for Cambridge. Am waiting to see if the "center" is going to try charging a release fee for the MRI's to be sent, even though the assessment might be free, there's no guarantee that there won't be charges someway along the process. Will keep everyone posted
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

I don't quite see the benefit of this as some of the much older MRI scans could have been clear pre 2012 but SM is a progressive condition and can develop at any time so for more accurate data the 30,000 would be better spent in offering new MRI scans for those that scanned clear then to see their position now or for offspring from those clear dogs.

Alison.

A step in the right direction I suppose.
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

Well hit a hitch the vast majority of my historic scans were done at Stone Lion by Dr C Rusbridge which is part of the Goddard group.
    They (Goddards) are happy to release the scans for an administration fee of 30 + vat PER scan.
    Not at all happy about this.
    However Cambridge have released the 3 I've had done there FoC and Dr Rusbridge has signed off the two CD's I received when the dogs were first done.
    Interesting results. The 3 done at Cambridge were graded two A's and a D. The D grading at the time was a dog over 2.5 years of age with syringomyelia.
    The two A's came back as CM2 CM0c and the other well that's a CM2 SM1b.
    Suppose this just proves one should always ask for second opinion, on any "bad" result as I spayed this bitch and could have happily bred her to my males.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

and the other two are as follows one a CM2 SM0b the other a CM2 SM1c the latter was rescanned at 5.25 years and the CCD present on her first scan was absent on her second and she was graded an A.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

That really does not give one much confidence

Jane