Thread: Thank you for accepting me

Default Thank you for accepting me

Well, I think it's time that I came out of lurkdom. I'm an American who's been admiring this wonderful site for a few weeks. As my username implies, I don't have a pup yet but want one. It will be a little while before I can get one so in the meantime, I'm looking up all I can about the charming Cavalier King Charles spaniel.

I grew up with American Cocker Spaniels and fell in love with their beauty, affectionate nature, and just plain goofiness. Last year, a neighbor brought his mother's Cocker Spaniel to NYC from Colombia, South America and I was overjoyed be able to walk the cutie. We bonded so much my neighbor claimed the darling loved me better than him.

Unfortunately, apartment living wasn't optimal for the pooch and he had to go back to South America. My sister who has Cockers told me the same thing so I started looking for a dog with some of the same lovable characteristics that my beloved Cockers have and the ability to live in an apartment and the CKCS seems to fit the bill. Since then, my I've been watching YouTube videos, reading articles online, looking up breeders and falling in love with the CKCS even more.

I'll probably go back into lurkdom after this (I joined now to be able to see all your doggie pics) but will come back on when I can seriously start looking for a dog.

When I'm allowed to post attachments, I'll share a couple of pics of Pippoh, the wonderful Cocker I fell in love with last year. Once you see him, you'll know what color I want.

Please visit us frequently... There is a wealth of knowledge on Cavaliers here...
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Thank you Julie. I certainly will.
    Dana
    New York City, USA

Now that I can share attachments, I thought I'd share some pics of Pippoh, the lovely Cocker Spaniel that made me fall in love with spaniels all over again.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dana
    New York City, USA

So you'll be looking for a ruby!
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Default Rescues

Interesting how the dog had to go back to south America

Do consider a rescue cavalier, as they do come in all ages. Mine were got as 11 and 12 week old pups, Alfie the tri is now 8 1/2 and Lexie is 5 in July. time is marching on

DSCF6432-Alfie-after-swim-bath-Lexie-chewing-April-15-2015.jpg
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Yes, Julie, I'll be looking for a ruby although I suspect when it comes down to it, I'll take any of the adorable colors.

Mark, your Lexie and Alfie are such cuties. They have such adorable little faces. Pippoh's mom lives part of the year in South America. She was going to give Pippoh to her son (my neighbor) but Pippoh was so energetic he needed a place to run around so she took him home to her farm. That's why Pippoh loved me. I gave him two two hour walks daily around the Manhattan shoreline and we jogged together part of the way. One of the pics is of Pippoh leaning over the pier to watch the boats and the birds.

I am lurking on the local CavalierUSA rescue site now. My only concern with rescue puppies is not knowing their parents' medical history. With older dogs, of course, that's not as much of a worry but as a new owner, I don't think I could handle an older adult who is overly timid or who hasn't been well socialized.
    Dana
    New York City, USA

Dana,

I am acquainted with quite a few good breeders up in your neck of the woods. If interested I can give you some wonderful referrals to breeders that fully healthy test and socialize Some of them have waiting lists so it would not hurt to poke around and get on one of the lists. You would also be surprised how well a Cavalier can get along in an apartment. I live in a town house with 3 cavaliers and a 2 year old toddler, a cat, and husband. We get along great. Sometimes I think that owners with dogs that live in apartments spend MORE time with their dogs because of not being able to let them out into a fenced yard. You are forced to have to walk them a few times a day, so the bond is strengthened
    Alisha
    &
    Coco