Thread: Making Decisions on Keeping Puppies

Default Making Decisions on Keeping Puppies

I don't think I have officially introduced Arrow. She is a puppy that I kept from Coco's last litter and is a full sibbling to Penny. (Penny was a singleton, so I did a repeat breeding and got 4 puppies. Arrow was one of the females which I kept, and Ammo a male that I co-own with my friend and mentor, Julia). I have been going back and forth on whether or not it was the right decision to keep Arrow. We all thought that in the second litter, Ammo was the pick puppy overall, and Arrow was the best female. Since I already had Penny, I don't think I really needed to keep a full sibbling. But I wanted a black and tan bitch to go on with since Penny is a blenheim.

Arrow has been going through some crazy growth spurts. Structurally, I am not sure if she is sound. Her movement is not very good either, but it is hard to tell if it is caused by structure or just being a crazy puppy. She is 11 months old currently and looks better than she did a few months ago, but still has no good movement. I go back and forth on whether it is the right decision to let her go, or to hold on to her. My favorite thing about this little bitch is her head. It melts my heart!

I want to make sure I am only keeping good breeding prospects, assuming they clear all health tests when they come of age of course. For the purpose of this thread I am looking at structure only.

Posted below are puppy photos to compare. I can't fit them all in here so will post more below. First is Ammo at 8 weeks. Next ones are of Arrow growing up from 8wks - 11mo. The last one also is Penny at 16 months (she is wet) vs 8wks for comparison. I am interested in other experienced breeders thoughts and opinions, on what they would do in this situation. Is Penny the better bitch, is Arrow, are they equal? Do you agree that my male, Ammo, was the pick puppy?

Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

More of Arrow growing, and Penny last.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alisha
    &
    Coco

impossible from photos and I don't think you can say a Cavalier is fully grown until about 18 months. I tend to think six weeks is a better age to look at them as often they are then miniatures of what they'll be like when adult. Doesn't alway work, and is a more reliable guide in other breeds, but by eight weeks they could already be at the stage where they are growing unevenly. Some grow evenly, and some do "finish" earlier, true, as young as nine months but some bitches don't completely finish developing until they've had a litter. I once sold one who wasn't really shown until she was a veteran and a grandmother (she didn't enoy shows much when she was young) and became a champion at age 8. That is extreme.

Having said that, I am useless at picking puppies!!!!

Jane
    On movement, best is to get someoen to help you,