Thread: Newbie needing advice

Default Newbie needing advice

Hi

I am a new member on here, but not new to Cavalier owning. - have had 4 Beautiful dogs before, but sadly all had various health problems, so now seeking to get another Cavalier, but am so confused, when I had mine before no health tests seemed to be the norm, so am getting my head around this, and thought i had found a good breeder and then after a long chat she said that although the pups had had all tests she was not going to register them with the Kennel Club as they were not show standard and were more suitable as pets, this seemed odd to me as she was registered on a breeding site, so I declined. Does anyone know of a reputable breeder in Kent area, or as I am beginning to think abou,t the best place to look for a senior Cavalier for adoption - any advice appreciated

Hello Lorraine,

Sad that you have had health problems: I currently have, among others, two girls born on 4 September 2000 who are doing fine on heart medication - and have been for two or three years - but lost another aged ten with a huge tumour on her spleen.

Something sounds not quite right about this breeder and the "breeding site" on which she was registered: what is it called????. If she said the PUPS had had health tests I'd be very suspicious indeed: it's the parents who should have been tested. I'm also suspicious of her not registering: if she considered her pups weren't show standard she could endorse their registration as "not to be bred from".

Have you tried the various Cavalier club puppy registers???

the main club has links to all the other clubs in the UK

http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html

the Southern Club:

http://www.southerncavalier.co.uk/

whose puppy register is coordinated by Mrs Paula Stark, Tel: 01428 751339

good luck

Jane

Hi Jane,

Thanks for your response, and yes I have started contacting the Cavalier clubs today, for both pups and poss older dog. I may have been mistaken in writing 'the pups' had been health tested, it would have been the parents, not sure if its OK to say the site but it was Champ Dogs, hopefully will have some success with the Cavalier clubs X

It MAY be judgemental, but I take the opinion that the ONLY reason for NOT registering a litter is because you don't want the births recorded - for whatever reason. It's actually in breach of the breed clubs Code of Best Practice and as Jane states nothing at all wrong in selling puppies "endorsed". Both parents and puppies should be health tested.
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

Hi Lorraine, visit
    www.thecavalierclub.co.uk
    On there you will find information regarding names and numbers for regional club puppy register contacts, this would be the best place to start. There is an index on the left hand side, just look for "Puppy Register" just about half way down.
    Good Luck with the search!

Alison.

Quote Originally Posted by Lorraine View Post
    Hi

thought i had found a good breeder and then after a long chat she said that although the pups had had all tests she was not going to register them with the Kennel Club as they were not show standard and were more suitable as pets,
    Hello Lorraine,
    Registering puppies with the KC has nothing to do with whether puppies are being sold into pet homes or not...... EVERY puppy bred by a Reputable breeder should be KC Registered and this is part of the 'Code of Best practice' for a breeder who cares about this beautiful breed.
    It's entirely different if you are looking to give a home to a needy Rescue Cavalier though because it would be unusual to have any paper chain when a. adult dog is being rehomed.
    PLEASE don't buy a puppy from anyone who has not health tested the parents of the litter though, because you could be paying out good money for a cute little bundle of fun who will break your heart if Mum and Dad have not had the important tests carried out prior to breeding.
    Alison and Jane have given you sound advice.....

I wish you luck in finding your new companion Cavalier.

Warm regards........Veronica.