Thread: overbite is this a concern

Default overbite is this a concern

Have contacted a breeder regarding a Ruby puppy, and the breeder has been very honest in all my questions, she has said the pup has a slight overbite. they will be 8 weeks first week of July, I am not planning to show or breed, it will be a family pet is this something I should be concerned about, could it be a problem? any advice appreciated

Lorraine, If all other health testing has been carried out on both parents with paperwork to verify this then a slight overbite would not concern me at all. Has all health testing been carried out Lorraine? For example: Heart, Eyes, DE/CC, MRI? If so then I would take the puppy and think yourself very lucky too have found one!

Alison.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavielove View Post
    Lorraine, If all other health testing has been carried out on both parents with paperwork to verify this then a slight overbite would not concern me at all. Has all health testing been carried out Lorraine? For example: Heart, Eyes, DE/CC, MRI? If so then I would take the puppy and think yourself very lucky too have found one!

Alison.
    Hi Alison, Heart and Eyes done on both parents, but not DNA, but have had very long chat with her and she has gone through the linage of both parent with me, is that enough?

The DNA test isn't of prime importance - although now the test is available I personally wouldn't dream of having a litter without knowing the status of both parents!!!

I wouldn't worry at all about a little overbite. I've only ever bred one who had an overbite, nine years ago, and he's doing fine.

Jane

Lorraine, has the breeder scanned for SM (using MRI) or perhaps used a clear scanned stud dog?
    I know this comes as a personal choice and some breeders do MRI scan and others do not but personally I would look for a puppy with both parents scanned clear of SM and also some history of scanned clear family around the puppy.

Alison.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavielove View Post
    Lorraine, has the breeder scanned for SM (using MRI) or perhaps used a clear scanned stud dog?
    I know this comes as a personal choice and some breeders do MRI scan and others do not but personally I would look for a puppy with both parents scanned clear of SM and also some history of scanned clear family around the puppy.

Alison.
    Hi Alison, I believe not, just heats and eyes on both parents, do you think I should carry on Hunting? Any one know of any Breedeers near or in Kent, Nothing on Puppy Register

Lorraine, only you can make this decision.

If I was searching for a puppy I would make my own choices on the grounds that I would want to give a puppy the very best chance in life of being free from these health problems. If health testing can be used as one of the tools to do this then I would wish for all possible health testing on the parents to have been carried out. Another tool is the expertise of a very good and knowledgeable breeder who will hopefully be there for many years to support you and your Cavalier should you have any problems.
    Please do not make distance a factor in where your puppy comes from. If the right puppy comes along be prepared to travel as hopefully the journey will only be done once or twice and also be prepared to wait. I would travel overnight & stop in a B&B if I had too and I would also wait for such a puppy.

Looking for a puppy with all requirements met will be hard work and thankfully I am not in your position. I love my ex breeding rescue Cavaliers and will always have them around me. They come as I see them at face value and giving them love and a home is the most important issue with them. The rewards are wonderful and sometimes the heartache is unbearable but I wouldn't change it.

Good Luck with your search.

Alison.

Alison, Thank you for this you are so right, it may not be on my doorstep, and yes the pup deservse the best, so onwards and upwards thank you so much x