Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grade increase in Heart Murmur

Default Grade increase in Heart Murmur

Poor little Bertie has had an increase from Grade one to Grade three.

I took him to the vets because I wasn't happy about him in general... He has, over the last 3 - 4 days had "clearing the throat" noises, however last night struggled a little to catch his breath. - Scared me to death!!!

The vet has put him on Benazecare, Cardisure and Frusemide, with a review in just over a fortnights' time...
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Julie, I can't remember how old Bertie is, forgive me. Don't panic though, as he may well respond well to the meds. I always bang on about Promise having gone in to CHF far too young in my opinion (eight or nine if memory serves), but she does well on her meds, and got through all the palaver over her corneal graft to boot. I don't know, though, what the difference is between them - she's on Vetmedin, Prilactone and Fortekor. She is supposed to be on Frusemide, but I'm not happy about the amount of potassium it's capable of leaching out of the system, so I rarely give it, although I do tend to when it's very hot. I know that sounds a bit silly as it's a diuretic, but she's always worse in hot weather. The Prilactone isn't as an efficient diuretic as the Frusemide, but it does have a side effect of helping to regulate the heart beat. She has in this last year gone on to two Fortekor a day.

My main check on her is a daily one - she sleeps on my bed, so I always watch her as she goes up the stairs. She does more often than not do a dot and carry, but every now and then she'll go up normally still, which is always very cheering to see. I haven't yet had to carry her ... she'll be 12 in December.
    Sheena Stevens

Hi Bertie is approaching 7 and a half, but had been diagnosed with a grade 1 murmur 3 years ago and again still had grade 1 in March this year.. I know things can change quickly. It was just last night was such a shock to the system that he was struggling to catch his breath.. something I've never seen before.. I initially rang the vet for advice but they preferred to see him.. which turned out to be the right decision...

Hopefully the meds will make him comfortable...
    Julie, Peter,

I hope Bertie is doing a little better with his meds Julie ? Perhaps to soon to see any improvement yet, thinking of you both.

My old girl Madge was a grade 1 last June and on her recent oldies check up Thursday is now a grade 3 but not on any meds and no symptoms as yet. Remarkable really for 14 yrs & 6 months and still fit as a flea although a little absent at times in her mind!! Dog and owner are alike

Alison.

Thanks... Bertie is fine in himself... We have had no "coughing" or repeat of Tuesday night.. I think he is on a low dose of meds - a knee jerk reaction from the vet I think.

I'm away on holiday from Monday and hubby is looking after the little monsters whilst I'm away... Bertie is going to be reviewed 9th October and I think the vet wants to send him for a heart scan before doing anything else...

So seems to be working so far!
    Julie, Peter,

Kizzy my 5yr old, was a grade 1 last year and this year has gone up to a grade 3/4. she is not on medication but it is worrying. Ozzy was a grade 1 since a year old, he is almost 9 and still a grade 1

Vet found Alfie had a grade 2 in October 2012, which had gone up to a 3 in March 2013. Since then for his heart he's been on a 30 mg Co~Q10 with his breakfast every morning and 2 VetVits Multivitality Senior with his tea. He was still a 3 in January 2015

http://www.naturesbest.co.uk/co-q10-30mg-p726/?src=gocoqo

http://www.healthspan.co.uk/vetvits/multivitality-senior
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Rascally and Raziela have been on heart meds for the last three years: Raziela has Enacard and Rascally has Cardalis and Cardisure. I've been giving them Coenzyme Q10,half a capsule each every other day: each capsule contains 20 mg of Q10, plus 290mg of beer yeast, 33.34 mg folic acid, 0.417 mg vitamin B12, 0.234 mg vitamin B6 and 0.104 mg vitamin B1.

I am not claiming that this has helped their longevity,, but it may have. I also give Rascally a herbal treatment to help her joints: she is very weak on one hind leg although once she's up and going she is ble to run with no apparent difficulty or discomfort: I reason that if it hurt she wouldn't do it.

Jane

Bertie has had his follow up appointment.

He's responded well to treatment and is fine.... just has to keep taking the tablets!!!
    Julie, Peter,

Glad to hear he's responding well
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12