Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: Advice on Syringomyelia Please.

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Murton, Co Durham
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    Unfortunately it is a "watch and wait" situation... In the last 8 years I have had 3 cavaliers... a great deal less than others who have already given their experienced advice..



    I have had a cavalier that had to be pts because of SM.. His symptoms were way in excess of anything you have described (disgnosed by MRI) and his illness outgrew the limits/combinations of medication that could be given, however I have another that has been diagnosed at the age of 2 with SM (again by MRI) that has never shown any symptoms at all. Thank God! He will be 8 next birthday...

    Here's the other situation... Our 3rd Cavalier has had two MRI scans, totally clear on both counts and he shows head shaking, nips his hind legs, nibbles his feet, rubs his head on the floor (normally after food) rolls on his back on the floor. He is DNA tested (and clear) for CC/DE and EF. It's normal for him... He shows no signs of pain at all.

    Unfortunately it has now become the "gut" instinct for people to sometimes read in to situations... Wait until the vet checks ears first and rule out skin allergies and injuries before fearing what might be.

    I hope that you get your answers and I hope that your cavalier's problems are simple to remedy..

    SM can only be diagnosed by MRI.
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

  2. #12

    Default

    Thanks Julie for your advice, reassurance and kind thoughts. We are ever hopeful, and will start the process with our vet this afternoon. Being aware that if it is SM it can progress quite quickly and her "symptoms" if that's what they are, seem to have increased and become more noticeable over the last few days we're keen to get a diagnosis one way or another asap.

  3. #13

    Default

    Do NOT get alarmed: the eye problem could, at a VERY long shot, be due to myosotis. A friend of mine had a Berger Picard which had what looked like a protuding eye and then she had difficulty opening her mouth. His usual vet was baffled but one of the others in the practice said he thought he'd read about something similar and that was what it was. I think the dog had steroids for a little while but apart from having a little muscle wastage around her face was unconcerned for the rest of her life, about 13 years.

    As I said, this is a VERY long shot and an unusual disease but sometimes it's nice to be able to rule things out!!!!!!

    http://vetspecialists.co.uk/factshee...s/Myositis.htm

    Janel

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Murton, Co Durham
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    Once you have ruled out ears/allergies/injury etc... then it's straight for MRI. That's the only way to find out for definite..


    Fingers crossed for you.
    Last edited by julieb7; 10-29-2015 at 09:22 AM.
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

  5. #15

    Default

    I would not ignore the eye problem. I would have a vet examine it right away. It is very easy for cavaliers to scratch their corneas, and once that happens, the situation will only get worse and harder to repair if not treated promptly. See http://www.cavalierhealth.org/corneal_ulcer.htm

    Also, since no one has yet mentioned them, here are a few other webpages which discuss CM/SM and PSOM and episodic falling:
    http://www.cavalierhealth.org/syringomyelia.htm
    http://www.cavalierhealth.org/psom.htm
    http://www.cavalierhealth.org/episodic_falling.htm
    Rod Russell

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire. U.K
    Posts
    934

    Default

    Charles it sounds as if you are really concerned about what you are seeing with your Cavalier. Do the MRI and get the answer for both you and for your dog. Meds can then be prescribed to hopefully make her life more comfortable and end the questions that you are most worried about.
    I have had SM here with a few of my Cavaliers, a couple very severely affected as youngsters and others that can manage and do mange with the right meds.
    The worst bit is the not knowing, once you have a diagnosis you can work with it.

    Alison.

  7. Default

    I expect you'll have seen your vet again by now. Let us know!
    Sheena Stevens

  8. #18

    Default

    Thank you all for your kind thoughts and advice. We've seen our Vet this afternoon, Rosie's been thoroughly examined including a knuckle roll, blood has been taken for various tests, and she has been given a steroid injection, which if it's a skin allergy should stop the symptoms for the next few days, at which time they're likely to come back. If that does not give answers, then it looks as if it will be the neurological/MRI route. Thanks once again for your kind thoughts. Charles.

  9. #19

    Default

    Just to update you all that have shown so much concern and reassurance. Last Thursday Rosie had various blood tests, whilst the ones that came back first were OK, one showed an over active thyroid result, which despite the vet's assurances that it might just have been a daily peak was quite worrying, and very rare. However, we've just had another test with same day results and her thyroid is now within the normal parameters, which is excellent news. At the same time the skin allergy results have come back showing an allergy toward grass, mites and mould, although it is only a general screening so we are now moving forward to try to determine exactly what grasses, mites and mould. Also last Thursday the Vet gave Rosie a steroid injection which if it eased the behaviour (which it seemed to do) was also a possible indicator that it is a skin allergy problem. Bearing in mind our daily walks are always in fields and woodland and never on roads/pavements etc, during which time Rosie is constantly running through long wet grass and undergrowth, hopefully this could explain the signs she is showing. However, the Vet is very aware that she doesn't want this to sidetrack from the SM possibility. So what is planned, is to wait until we get the definitive allergy results and hopefully treat for those, to see if that alleviates the symptoms. In the meantime if we or she still feels the need to referral to Claire Rusbridge for an MRI/consultation that's what she'll do. So it's fingers crossed at the moment, but we're feeling quite hopeful. Thanks once again and I shall keep you updated. Charles.

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Murton, Co Durham
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    That's great news.... Treat what has been found....Don't keep SM to the front of your mind.. but don't forget it.... It's an easy option to use this reason as a diagnosis for something that is more difficult to detect...

    Good luck...... and good health to Rosie.. and yes, keep us in the loop.. please...
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •