Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 35

Thread: Advice on Syringomyelia Please.

  1. #21

    Default

    Great news Charles! So relieved you have some answers, with hopefully more to come.��. Keep us posted please.
    Elspeth

  2. #22

    Default

    Great to have some answers!

    Jane

  3. #23

    Default

    All the skin allergy results are now back and whilst Rosie is allergic to several grasses, mold and mites, the grass and mold is not in our vet’s opinion bad enough to cause the symptoms. However, the various house dust mites are much higher i.e. from 461 to 556 whereas the normal is up to 150, so we are hoping that might be the problem. We have an appointment with a multi disciplinary specialist referral veterinary practice next Wednesday, where hopefully we can get to the bottom of it. We did try for an appointment with Clare Rusworth of Fitzpatricks, but unfortunately there was a four week wait for an appointment.
    In the meantime we seem to be spending much of our time at our vets, as Rosie is currently being treated with various antibiotics and anti inflammatories for an ulcerated pupil which we believed was due to a small thorn puncturing her eyeball.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Murton, Co Durham
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    It will take some time to sort out specific allergies, however be careful with her eye... I know only too well that eye problems can progress very quickly....
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

  5. #25

    Default

    Just got back from the neurologist with whom we were very impressed. Her view was that as Rosie was not displaying any classical, clinical signs of SM, was not in any pain or discomfort, and was fit and active, running and jumping, that together with two other vets views, whilst not dismissing SM did not think that is what it is.

    The symptoms could also point to back/disc problems, ear problems or her current skin allergy to House Dust Mites. Also, as a large proportion of MRI’d cavvies are likely to show signs of CM/SM, and as Rosie is currently fit and well, in no pain or discomfort, and the symptoms are not affecting her life, even if CM/SM did show up on an MRI she would not consider medication at this point in time. Therefore she did not think at this juncture an MRI would be of any benefit whatsoever.

    The path we are now taking is to treat for the skin allergy to see if that alleviates the problem. In the meantime we’re going to keep an eye on any further developments which may indicate which direction we need to proceed, and if necessary at that time do an MRI. With numerous antibiotics and anti inflammatorys Rosie's eye has now cleared up too.

  6. #26

    Default

    Our L'il Megs has just had to be MRI and CT scanned as she had an accident and had major mobility problems with her left hind leg.( She was found to have injured a disc and bruised her spinal chord - don't want to hi jack the thread so won't go in to detail). The specialist told us that the CT showed that she had all the signs of SM ( but no symptoms - if that makes sense). He also said that we were not to worry about it as he would "expect" to see this in up to probably 90% of Cavaliers scanned.
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Murton, Co Durham
    Posts
    1,775

    Default

    Pleased things are looking a little less sinister and you should be able to control... Great news...
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Itsonlyme View Post
    Our L'il Megs has just had to be MRI and CT scanned as she had an accident and had major mobility problems with her left hind leg.( She was found to have injured a disc and bruised her spinal chord - don't want to hi jack the thread so won't go in to detail). The specialist told us that the CT showed that she had all the signs of SM ( but no symptoms - if that makes sense). He also said that we were not to worry about it as he would "expect" to see this in up to probably 90% of Cavaliers scanned.
    That's exactly what our neurologist said too. All an MRI would do is to confirm probably what they would know anyway. I think it's a different matter if it progresses at which time they probably wish to know where and how wide the syrinxes are to assist with treatment/medication.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wiltshire. U.K
    Posts
    934

    Default

    A bit of a concern here that some specialists are advising people "not to worry as they would expect to see these things" in scanned Cavaliers and that "an MRI would properly confirm what they would know anyway"

    Unless dogs are MRI scanned the severity of the condition (if even affected) cannot be diagnosed, it's a simple as that. Also to correctly assess any progression two MRI scans would be needed for comparison...before and after.

    If I had strong suspicion that possible SM was causing discomfort to my dogs no matter what I was told or kindly advised by a specialist I would discuss it after an MRI when I knew what we would be talking about.

    Alison.

  10. #30

    Default

    Just to clarify, the reason our neurologist advised not to have an MRI in our Rosie's particular case is that even if she has CM/SM, it currently is not causing her any problems, she's not in any pain or discomfort, she runs and jumps without any problems whatsoever, and her life is not affected in any way shape or form apart from the issues already mentioned. Rather than go down the SM route at this moment in time, particularly as even if she did have SM the neurologist would not advise starting her on medication right now, we are initially pursuing other routes that could also cause exactly the same symptoms, e.g. skin allergies, or a bad back/disc that caused the behavioural issues I talked about when I first opened this thread.

    Rosie has been spayed, so we are not looking to breed from her, and whilst SM is extremely prevalent in Cavaliers, so I understand are bad backs, skin allergies and ear problems, so quite rightly in my opinion our neurologist, together with two other vets, have suggested that rather than focussing on the SM issue to the detriment of potentially other issues at this moment in time, it is just as likely, if not hopefully more likely to be one of the other issues. Additionally, the issues I mention in opening this thread in respect of Rosie are not the classical clinical symptoms of SM, e.g she does not appear to be in any pain, and the behaviour she displays is neither obsessive or frantic and in fact as others have said, can be just typical doggy behaviours.

    The point she was making is that she would expect to see CM/SM in most MRI'd Cavaliers, and therefore unless it had got to the stage where medication (which I also understand can have significant side effects) was required, why put our Rosie unnecessarily through a general anaesthetic at this time which would not achieve anything.

    Our neurologist was not advocating not to MRI Rosie at all, just not at this time.

    If Rosie's issues worsen to any extent whatsoever, or we have any suspicion whatsoever, (not even a "strong suspicion") that she is in any pain or discomfort, at that stage the neurologist would be more than happy to go ahead with an MRI, if she felt that there was any likelihood that it was SM causing the problem. Certainly as far as Rosie is concerned, the cost of an MRI, or any other procedure she might require at any time is not an issue either.

    I hope this clarifies the issue in Rosie's particular case.

    Charles.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •