Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tri boy 9rs old. Gables Farm, Plymouth.

Default Tri boy 9rs old. Gables Farm, Plymouth.

There is a lovely Tri boy 9 yrs old in rescue at Gables Farm, Plymouth. His name is Brady. Picture and description on their site.
    www.gablesfarm.org.uk

01752-331602.
    Just incase anyone is looking

Alison.

Sadly Brady still hasn't been rehomed. The rescue seem very strict about him. The local Cavalier Rescue have offered to help but this hasn't been accepted.

If you know anybody who can offer an experienced only dog home, please get in touch. My wife Lisa.everett@live.co.uk or Gillian Greenall of Cavalier Rescue can fill you in - suggest you speak to one of them before approaching the rescue direct.

Blog Entries

I don't understand what they're saying about him being unfriendly, not liking other dogs or children and needing to be an only dog.

There isn't a lot of money about in that part of the country. I know from living there for 2 odd years before Birmingham. Probably people in their catchment area are worried about the dental and orthopaedic work which needs to be done. If they spread their net wider, or used their own vet to carry out the neutering and dental work, then somebody might be prepared to pay for the orthopaedic work. Fitzpatricks seems to be doing a roaring trade
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    I don't understand what they're saying about him being unfriendly, not liking other dogs or children and needing to be an only dog.

There isn't a lot of money about in that part of the country. I know from living there for 2 odd years before Birmingham. Probably people in their catchment area are worried about the dental and orthopaedic work which needs to be done. If they spread their net wider, or used their own vet to carry out the neutering and dental work, then somebody might be prepared to pay for the orthopaedic work. Fitzpatricks seems to be doing a roaring trade
    I'm not quite sure of the whole story - my wife knows much more of it. Dental work isn't a problem as they've already extracted most of his teeth.

I know from others that have tried to rehome cats from there that they seem to be very picky but he just seems to be sat there out of public view and not actively advertised while many other breeds have come and gone.

It's sad to see a 9 year old in kennels for so long.. it must be breaking his heart... There must be someone out there for him....
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Blog Entries

There are two things stopping me from having a head start in getting this beautiful looking boy to give him the loving home that he deserves:

1. I do not live in their very limited catchment area

2. Neither of my male dogs have been castrated and there is no way I would neuter a healthy male. This is common policy for almost all rescue organisations, not for health reasons, but because they seem to assume all owners are so careless with their dogs that they will escape to reproduce themselves with equally carelessly controlled bitches over a wide area, thus increasing the need for shelters to house and rehome their unwanted product.

They also claim to protect their spayed bitches against the 'annoyance' of the indiscriminate sniffing by entire males. Sorry Rescues, I know you want the best for your rehomes, but I am only one of a multitude of existing owners of both sexes, who find their spayed bitches either tell the 'sniffers' there's nothing doing or, as mine usually have done, just obligingly lift a hind leg, pause for a moment, then go about their business without a care in the world. I agree this might be an issue for an ex breeding bitch from a PF, but why should this be a case for neutering when rehoming a male into a well regulated household.

Meanwhile the shelters are full to overflowing, often turning away needy animals, while there must be so many people like me who would want to adopt are rejected at the first hurdle.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Well said Flo! I know, from the fact that both my mother and friends had rescue dogs who'd been castrated (neither were Cavaliers) that it doesn't stop them sniffing anyway!!!!! It was rather funny with the friends' dog as he was quite big and the girls would obligingly lift their legs and he'd almost push them over! His owners were more embarassed than we were but after the initial sniff he didn't bother any more; no more than my entire males do once they've done that intital "are you in season? Oh. Never mind" sniff on a newly encountered bitch.

Jane

Blog Entries

Default Tri boy

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post

I don't understand about him being unfriendly either. My Max is a timid little thing. He's not keen on children he doesn't know or bouncy dogs for that matter, but if I introduce him to them gradually he gets on fine. He loves both my 2 and 3 year old grandsons now and even gets along with my daughters 9 month old labradore puppy! It took him a little while but all it took is patience and understanding. Wish I lived in the catchment area.
    Sheila H [EMAIL="halls.1@hotmail.co.uk"]

On a boat, out there, operating without any decent restraint, well Notts

Why does there need to be a catchment area? Its not like he's going to get visits from close relatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Neil View Post
    Why does there need to be a catchment area? Its not like he's going to get visits from close relatives.
    I suspect it is for the practicalities of home checks etc.