Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Hula has been busy

You would never guess that my grandfather was a scout master………

We experienced the millennium hurricane and were without water for a few days, electricity for a couple of weeks and the phone for nearly a month. Wouldn’t you think that, learning that there was another hurricane forecast, I’d get prepared???? Get out the candles and matches, the little LED lamps designed to light up the interiors of cupboards and put batteries in them, charge the torches and the mobile phone, put batteries in the radio, etc. Well, no: the warning was “downgraded” to orange, which is still pretty severe.

It was still fairly light when the electricity went on Monday – there had been thunderstorms, true, and hailstorms and high winds, but it was relatively calm here and I’d just let the dogs out and in again. I hadn’t yet switched on the light in the sitting room, but had music playing; a CD. When it stopped I didn’t realise immediately that it was a power cut, then saw the lights on the player and tuner were off.

I have a candle in an old fashioned candlestick holder on the sideboard – but where were the matches? In a drawer in the kitchen. Despite having organised the kitchen myself, there are 11 drawers and although I knew that the matches wouldn’t be in some it was in the last but one drawer in which I finally found them! By this time it was quite dark, so I lit several small candles and left them in the kitchen, then I took the rechargeable torch from the utility room to look for the LED lamps. I thought, (dangerous, that!) that I’d put them in the bottom of a display cupboard. No. They were in a drawer in the dog room, which has not just the dogs’ paraphernalia but quite a few of my tools. I put one LED lamp in my bedroom for Hula, who seemed totally unconcerned at having been in the dark. The rechargeable torch hadn’t lasted long as I’d not charged it for some time: everything is now fully charged!!!!

My mobile rang: a text message from Charline at the kennels “do you have electricity?” so I replied with a short “no!” I’d not charged the phone recently, either, and the battery was almost flat.

I spent the evening on the sofa reading a book by the light of an LED lamp: now perhaps is the time to reconsider a Kindle.

During the night I woke frequently; the wind was battering outside and from time to time a puppy squeaked, but every time I looked at them they were fine and Hula didn’t seem to like the lamp: three little LEDs.

In the morning there was still no electricity and I wanted to put the radio on. The kitchen radio didn’t work, even with new batteries: I normally have it on the mains. I have a small portable radio that I’ve not used for years; luckily that did work and also picked up a good signal. Boiling water on the gas to make a pot of tea took ages, even in a proper kettle rather than a saucepan. At some point I was in the kitchen thinking of going up to Fréderic and asking if he could use his mobile to call EDF to see if we knew the likelihood of getting the electricity reconnected when I saw an EDF van go by. It was heading away from the nearest substation, but about ten minutes later it returned, heading to the substation. About ten minutes later, about 10:30, the electricity came back on! I think there may be another small substation further along the line and possibly that had to be checked before the reconnection could be made.

Apart from the hurricane, in the past we’ve had a lorry plunge into a power line pole at the bottom of the road. Clearing that meant cutting off the supply to a wide area and then putting in a new stretch of cable, 24 hours work. Other times there have been lightning strikes but the repairs have been fairly swift, just a few hours. Naturally the electricity companies are obliged to reconnect the “bigger” users first, so work on towns and big villages before getting down to the more isolated communities, so we can’t hope to be first on the list.

I wanted to make a phone call but had no Internet/phone connection, I have a combined package. Oh joy.

I’d been relieved at having electricity back, but about quarter of an hour later the power went again!!!!!

Worrying at how reliant I am on modern technology, and now I’m wondering if I should have got a wood burner installed….. I do have provision; a chimney and a ventilation inlet that can be accessed under the floor. I do have a generator and a container full of petrol (really for the mower), but only want to use that as a last resort as I have to have it outside which means leaving a door open; the utility room is the obvious choice; and it’s a bit noisy.

What fun

The electricity came back some time on Tuesday afternoon, but kept going off and then back on, but I heard on the radio that there are still thousands of areas without as they have bigger problems. The phone came back on Wednesday, about 16:00. I’d had another text message from Charline at the kennels, to ask if I was without the landline. I spoke to her today and she said she went up to the Mairie and said that as she runs a business, she is a priority to have her phone reconnected!

I took no photos yesterday but here are the pups eight days old. The smaller two are still small, but they are all gaining weight nicely and feed well. I was particularly pleased to find the smallest ruby latched on to one of the hind teats which are now perfectly normal

Jane
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Wow. ....to think I was moaning about a bit of snow this morning. Pups are looking great, and Hula!
    Sheila H [EMAIL="halls.1@hotmail.co.uk"]

3. Default

Don't get a Kindle, take a leap and buy an iPad. Honest. Have a look at the Apple store online, you can get refurbished ones. I can't remember if Amazon sell them, but expect they do. Mine is currently a refurbished mini iPad (after the dogs having smashed my first, larger one, not just once but twice - that one was new when bought, but three lots of being smashed on concrete finished it off - it never worked as well). So if you do get one, don't bother with the flimsy magnetic covers they sell, get a proper thick folder cover for it. Have to say I prefer the mini to the full size, but it may just be personal preference.
    Sheena Stevens

Here are my not quite blenheims and tricolours! They now know my feet, whatever I have on them, or nothing, and approach them with wagging tails. I'mnot quite sure why, as food doesn't yet interest them a great deal. Maybe it's because I rescue them when they can't find their way back to their bed. They do play!!!! I hope this works...... The noisy one is the boy, the biggest of them all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GWwYJwK2oo

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 02-02-2016 at 12:10 PM.

They look lovely..... Bigger B/T looks like he can handle himself!!
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

6. Default

They know your feet because they're keeping you on your toes!
    Sheena Stevens

Blog Entries

They're lovely, I've gone all gooey....... Loving the noisy little boy, typical lad!

Like it Sheena!!!!

Yes, little boy is quite a character but not always as noisy as in that little clip - fortunately!

This brings me to names! Dad is Hastings, Mum is Hula and this year's letter is M – I get nothing from the parents.

I'd wanted to call a black and tan Liquorice, so could do Ma Liquorice or something, but it's clumsy.

It needs to be something French people can pronounce. Lots use English names, but sometimes the pronunciation isn't always quite correct.... on a tangent, Sandra had a lovely little lass called "Perrier-Jouët" and so many British people didn't know to pronounce it. I heard some interesting variations.......

It will be followed by my affix, Du Nid du Faisan, so needs to be fairly short as I don't really like names that go on forever - with one exception! There was a miniature wire haired dachshund called "T'as des beaux yeux t'sais" which used all the permitted 26 letters y contracting "tu" (you) to "t'". It means "you have beautiful eyes you know" and this was a striking little girl, even that small she stood out and won a few BIS in her career. I guess her breeder knew she was special. I don't want to call one "Miss" or "Mr" anything, as there are bound to be loads.

Here are a few I’ve thought of:
    For the boy
    Minstrel
    Magician
    Must Have
    Mystery

And the girls
    Maid for Me
    Minikin (for the small one)
    Madrigal
    Marmalade
    Magnolia
    Mimosa
    Mood Music
    Melody
    Minerva

I’m awfully tempted to keep both the black and tan girl and the richest coloured ruby………… the white is already closing up.

Any comments or suggestions? There is always the chance that a future buyer will choose a name: I’ve had enquiries already, just from them being registered with the SCC, and one family is coming to see them when they’re six weeks old.

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 02-04-2016 at 12:43 PM.

9. Default

What's wrong with Moȅt? I have a Minx ...
    Sheena Stevens

Blog Entries

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    Like it Sheena!!!!

Yes, little boy is quite a character but not always as noisy as in that little clip - fortunately!

This brings me to names! Dad is Hastings, Mum is Hula and this year's letter is M – I get nothing from the parents.

I'd wanted to call a black and tan Liquorice, so could do Ma Liquorice or something, but it's clumsy.

It needs to be something French people can pronounce. Lots use English names, but sometimes the pronunciation isn't always quite correct.... on a tangent, Sandra had a lovely little lass called "Perrier-Jouët" and so many British people didn't know to pronounce it. I heard some interesting variations.......

It will be followed by my affix, Du Nid du Faisan, so needs to be fairly short as I don't really like names that go on forever - with one exception! There was a miniature wire haired dachshund called "T'as des beaux yeux t'sais" which used all the permitted 26 letters y contracting "tu" (you) to "t'". It means "you have beautiful eyes you know" and this was a striking little girl, even that small she stood out and won a few BIS in her career. I guess her breeder knew she was special. I don't want to call one "Miss" or "Mr" anything, as there are bound to be loads.

Here are a few I’ve thought of:
    For the boy
    Minstrel
    Magician
    Must Have
    Mystery

And the girls
    Maid for Me
    Minikin (for the small one)
    Madrigal
    Marmalade
    Magnolia
    Mimosa
    Mood Music
    Melody
    Minerva

I’m awfully tempted to keep both the black and tan girl and the richest coloured ruby………… the white is already closing up.

Any comments or suggestions? There is always the chance that a future buyer will choose a name: I’ve had enquiries already, just from them being registered with the SCC, and one family is coming to see them when they’re six weeks old.

Jane

I've got a Maximillian (Max or Maxi for short ). You should have seen his reaction to hearing your pups cry. He coked his head on one side a couple of times, jumped right up to my IPad to have a look then joined in barking himself