Thread: Winston Alexander ByFloSin

Blog Entries

Default Winston Alexander ByFloSin

Just wanted to share this, amid all the doom and gloom about ill health and shortened lifespans:

I had done a monthly big shop and was in the kitchen with the dogs in attendance, surrounded by groceries and food to go to various places in the house. Things to go in the kitchen fridge/freezer I was leaving on the worktop next to it, so that I could see how much I cram into it.

Thought I heard someone knock at the adjacent front door, so I quickly put down the bumper pack of Cathedral City to answer it. Safe I thought because the front door is only a few feet away. I was only gone for less than 30 seconds because it turned out to be the post coming through the letterbox I had heard. Sitting in the middle of the floor with his toothless gums well into contact with the cheese was 9 1/2 years old WA, already having stripped back the wrapping. Disappointment quickly turned into total disgust when I managed to part him from his spoils with the aid of the kitchen flat mop and deposited the gooey remnants into the refuse bag on the wall, hung there because all my Cavaliers are well versed in emptying out any other kind of container ever invented by man.

I've seen this Cavalier larceny expert jump from the floor in the kitchen to the worktops to take anything I've been daft enough to leave out, but the speed and bare faced audacity of a dog of this age astounded me. He's also out for most of the day in the back garden to stalk and see off any bird or squirrel he can find. He used to catch and eat them for elevensies but one young Magpie too many cracked his jaw to escape, thereafter depriving him of his few remaining teeth.

WA sees the vet for his annual check up and, apart from the cracked jaw incident, never needs treatment.

Unhealthy, disease ridden and costing megabucks at the vets - forget it. WA is one of the many who are seldom mentioned nowadays , but who live long and happy lives, though not outstanding dogs in the show ring, nevertheless provide the love, companionship and fun our breed was once famed for. Let's hear more about them please.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Winston Alexander really does seem to be a big character!!!!

A local-ish breeder had a lovely day recently: two Blenheims she'd bred 15 years ago came to a "reunion party" at her house. She has great success in the show ring but was pleased to publish photos of these pet Cavaliers: after all, only a handful can ever be show Champions but they should ALL be wonderful companions.

Vincent, 11 1/2, and CÚdric, 8 and a bit, are flat out on the kitchen floor: earlier they were digging under the tarpaulin that covers my rotovator and really didn't want to come out. When they barked at the back door to be let in, I found a dead mouse with them. It was soaked: I presume they'd caught it then been playing with it. Yuk. Cedric jumps into a cage stacked on another for his food - in fact, he jumps in there when he's hungry! It's in the utility room and there are times when he has gone to the kitchen door to the utility room, I've assumed he's wanted to go out but he's not gone to the back door; instead he's hopped into the crate and sat there looking hopeful!

Rascally, 15 years 4 months, has mobility problems but once she's on her feet can trot and almost always jumps a small hole dug by CÚdric in his efforts to catch moles. Every time I fill it in he digs it out again!!! Rascally could go round, but she seems to prefer to jump and always looks at me as if for approval. I praise her, but she is pretty deaf so I don't think she hears anything, just enjoys me stroking her. She knows hand signals and if she's at the bottom of the garden I can do the stretching my arms up high (almost doing YMCA ) and then crouching down and she'll come running. She will still pick up one of her toys and present it to a visitor, but then run off if they try to take it from her.

Raziela, her litter sister and fitter physically, has very poor eyesight now so negotiates her way back to the house by going uphill. My ground is on a slight slope. There are times she's gone to the utility room door, which is solid, rather than the dog room door, which is glazed, but generally realises and makes her way to the correct one. The fact that her sight isn’t good doesn’t stop her running, although a few times the poor lass has run into the wire fence. She seems to realise that it's the boundary and so turns left (uphill) and follows it back to the house. In the house she has no trouble unless I move the furniture, so I generally put her in the dog room when I’m vacuuming because everything gets moved then.

I was once asked if I found it difficult to find homes for my retired dogs. Well, generally I keep them: this isn’t to say that one or two haven’t gone to homes where they were the only pet, or one of two: some don’t like being in a bigger pack. I once mentioned to a couple of people that I had one who really would appreciate being in a smaller family, and through the “grapevine” was contacted by another breeder who said she’d be interested in her. I explained I wanted her to be with only one other dog or no other dogs, as she really wanted more attention than I could give her. Sniffy reply “All my dogs gets 100% of my attention!” I was almost tempted to ask if she’d passed her Brevet, sort of O-levels, but you have to have passed certain subjects, including Maths, to get it……. This girl did, I'm glad to say, go to a lovely and suitable home.

Jane

Blog Entries

Well done Winston keep it up! Not too much Cathedral City though 'cause mommy might get cross. Love Max and Toby
    It's lovely to have a champion of course, but you can't beat a loveable rougue
    Sheila H [EMAIL="halls.1@hotmail.co.uk"]

That made me smile Flo

My old rescue girl Madge, 15 in March is just the same. Still a naughty little imp and up to her tricks. Although a little wobbly of late her mind is still sharp as a pin and there is nothing wrong with her ears either as she can hear the fridge door opening from upstairs and can get down them at lightening speed!!! Apart from the removal of an eye a few years back she is still in such good health. I know she gets away with her naughtiness and is very, very spoilt but she is our little treasure and we adore her.

Alison.

I loved reading your thread about Winston Alexander, what a wonderful character. I lost my dear Jasper over a year ago now at nearly 14 and a half years old, I still miss him, but look back with happiness at all the wonderful things and naughty at times, which made him such a wonderful companion for our family, they certainly are a special breed.
    Pam

Love hearing that it's not only my two troublemakers getting in to bother..
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Lovely to see the oldies having fun....Hope all well with you Flo.x