Thread: Average weight of cavvy pups?

Default Average weight of cavvy pups?

Hi everyone
    I'm a novice breeder and my beautiful tri girl presented us with her 1st litter, a week ago, of 5 puppies but we quickly lost the smallest pup (she weighed just 62 grams) and are fighting to keep another pup going. Can anyone tell me what the average birth weight of cavvy pups is? Also if the pups are tiny should they be topped up with bottle milk?
    Trish11

Our first litter in 1997 was 6 pups. 2 blenheim girls three and a half ounces each, 1 tri girl 6 ounces and her 3 tri brothers who were between 8 and 9 ounces . All survived, we made sure the small girls were on the teats first, for us this worked, but each litter different, hope this helps.

Hello, 62 grams is rather small: I have kept records of all mine but haven't transferred them all from an old computer and can't find where I put the back-up disc. Age!!!!

I expect them to weigh from about 170 to 250 grams at birth - but it's a "how long is a piece of string question". One thing we really don't take into account is when the bitch ovulated and when she was mated! If she'd ovulated before mating and fertilisation took place immediately the pups could effectively be three days older than those conceived if she ovulated after mating. If more than one mating took place there could be pups of different stages, albeit only a few days.

Then there is the question of how long after mating did the bitch whelp? Iím no great authority as Iíve only bred 32 litters since 1980, but have had litters born as early as 56 days after mating and as late as 65. One of the pups from the 56 day litter is now 9 and in fine health; I've had no contact with the owners of the other: there were only two. Hula was mated twice and I suspect that the bigger puppies were from the first mating and the smaller from the second.

The smallest that I can find was a bitch of 127 grams but she died suddenly at about 6 months: a post mortem could find no obvious reason That was in the early 1980's. There was one who weighed 142 grams at birth but he grew, albeit slowly, into a nice size dog. At 26 days he weighed just 596 grams while the other four in the litter all weighed over a kilo, but at 8 weeks he weighed 2.18 kilos while the others were about 2.6 to 2.9 kilos.

One, single, pup weighed a whopping 318 grams at birth and almost a kilo at two weeks, but slowed down and was a more normal 2.8 kilos at eight weeks. By chance, she was seen on a scan exactly 3 weeks after the mating, but only because her Mum had a heart control and I told the cardiologist she might be pregnant. He searched for an embryo and said it was an 18 day old embryo, not 21. She was born 61 days after the mating, so at 58 days of pregnancy, but maybe it was because she was so big. Luckily her mother was able to give birth without too much difficulty, and she was a small, 6.5 kilo, girl.

There is a small one in Hula's litter; she was 160 grams and is only 550 now at 25 days. I don't supplement her, just make sure she suckles well, but she decides when she's had enough and stops. This litter is very uneven, as the biggest is just over a kilo.

What I do take notice of is their percentage gain over birth weight, so if the pup weighed 160 at birth and 480 at 18 days itís 300%. I do graphs of daily weight and as long as the graph shows an even, steady climb I donít worry too much.

One puppy, Raziela, suddenly stopped gaining weight at about 2 weeks. I found a little lump on her chest and took her to the vet who said it seemed like an abscess, but how it happened was a mystery. He gave me antibiotics to inject close to the site, the lump went down and she gained weight. Clearly, as she was born in 4 Sept 2000 and is still with me, it did no lasting damage!

In general, if the bitch isnít really producing enough milk it can be stimulated by giving her fenugreek, but if a pup need supplementing itís preferable to feed the bigger, stronger ones by bottle and let the smaller ones suckle from the mother, even if it means holding them in place.

Good luck! Letís see some photos, please!!!

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 01-31-2016 at 08:33 AM.

Thanks everyone for your advice and I'm sorry to take so long to get back to you - life has been a little hectic. My little man has managed to pull thru although he is still a lot smaller than the rest of the litter. I tried to top up with bottle milk but none of the litter would take a teat! Now I'm starting to think about weaning so hopefully he might catch up a little.
    Trish11