Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24

Thread: How do you untrain an indoor dog?

  1. #11

    Default

    I managed to get a sample from her on Friday, after we had been into the vet for her primary check up. I'd purposely gone for another walk with her whilst still parked at the vets to try and get a sample tested.
    So dropped the tiny sample into the vets, and the vet phoned back saying that they'd put the tester stick in and it was OK.

    She went in the garden around 6 pm tonight, and I'm hoping that she'll go again at bed time - but we'll wait and see. Re the food. She's now producing waste that holds its shape, and I don't want to cause more problems by changing her back to wet again. Previous owner made it clear that she kept changing her food, so it's no wonder she's had numerous problems. I always put 15 ml of water in with the dry food and let it soak for a minute before giving it to them. Tonight is the first time that she's left her bowl with just some of the water left in the bottom, instead of all of it
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

    Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    .
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa
    Posts
    108

    Default

    Hi Mark
    I'm glad there's apparently no infection, but you are right to be concerned. It doesn't do the kidneys any good at all to hold it in. Maybe she needs to drink more to FORCE her to wee. Perhaps a bit of meat broth in the water or even drinks of milk? Find it difficult to believe people would bring their dogs up to wee in the house even if it is a puppy pad! Takes all sorts, doesn't it?

    I know some dogs are, as Sheena suggests, better off on wet food. I would feel that a mixture of the two would be an option. If they're well mixed together, the dry food will get eaten because it's got this lovely meaty taste on it.

    I also think that, no matter how good you are to her (and I know you are), Katie is still a bit unsettled about being removed from her "pack". Both the rehomes we took on were a nightmare for several weeks, but once they settled down everything fell into place for both them and us.

    Incidentally, did your vet send the sample off to the lab? We've sometimes got more "advanced" results that way than when the vet just does a dipstick test at the rooms. Might be worth having a chat to him about that.

  3. #13

    Default

    Could it be fear related, maybe she was told off for weeing before and is holding it in . I have an ex-breeder, and she done that for the first week. Vet tests were all clear

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    2,062
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    I had an entire bitch who went outside to wee quite normally with all the other dogs, but when she came into season and I had no wish to mate her at that particular time, I took her down to stay with a friend in Plymouth for 28 days to keep her away from the boys. While she was with my friend she would hold it in at first and my friend had to resort to taking her out to toilet in the street at 3 or 4 in ths morning, when she knew no other dogs would be about. After a couple of days she accepted that it was okay to toilet in my friend's back garden and everything happened normally.

    So could it be, as Dorothy says, 'concern about being removed from her pack'?
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

  5. #15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carol View Post
    Could it be fear related, maybe she was told off for weeing before and is holding it in . I have an ex-breeder, and she done that for the first week. Vet tests were all clear
    No, she's a very happy little dog. Welcoming to anyone she meets. I think she's just not used to going. But today she has been twice, and drunk all the water in the food bowl as well as drinking.
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

    Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    .
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

  6. #16

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
    Hi Mark
    I'm glad there's apparently no infection, but you are right to be concerned. It doesn't do the kidneys any good at all to hold it in. Maybe she needs to drink more to FORCE her to wee. Perhaps a bit of meat broth in the water or even drinks of milk? Find it difficult to believe people would bring their dogs up to wee in the house even if it is a puppy pad! Takes all sorts, doesn't it?

    I know some dogs are, as Sheena suggests, better off on wet food. I would feel that a mixture of the two would be an option. If they're well mixed together, the dry food will get eaten because it's got this lovely meaty taste on it.

    I also think that, no matter how good you are to her (and I know you are), Katie is still a bit unsettled about being removed from her "pack". Both the rehomes we took on were a nightmare for several weeks, but once they settled down everything fell into place for both them and us.

    Incidentally, did your vet send the sample off to the lab? We've sometimes got more "advanced" results that way than when the vet just does a dipstick test at the rooms. Might be worth having a chat to him about that.
    Based on what she was producing, broth or wet food would be the last thing that she needs TBH. Eating dry food is encouraging her to drink clean water to flush her out. Her waste is better now.

    Gave her a Milbemax over the weekend, and think that she passed something nasty today. Couldn't give her one before as I don't think her intestines were in any state to handle a wormer then.
    Her coat looks and smells better, and I think that by this Sunday she'll be in a better place health wise as well as with her settling in.
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

    Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    .
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

  7. Default

    Just to be clear, there's quite a big difference between the way in which dry and wet food is absorbed in to the system. Dry food specifically takes fluid from the intestines, and it is always worth carrying out a test with any dry food by adding water to it to see how much it swells when wet. The more it swells, the more water will be taken from the dog's system. So if you do feed dry, it's well worth finding a dry food that swells hardly at all.

    But am glad to hear that Katie is getting there!
    Sheena Stevens

  8. #18

    Default

    I've let Katie out at 3 ish for the last couple of days, and she's just stood at the door looking to come in. But let her out at 7 on both days and she went So she's had a wee twice a day for 2 days now. And I've watched her merrily drink as well, which is encouraging.

    I feed Harringtons, which is maze based. I don't have anything to compare it to, but it does swell up a bit when I put the 15 ml of water in with their dry food every day.

    I've come home from work today to find that the cat has come down the stairs, ignored the litter tray of clean litter, jumped over the stair gate, been toilet in the bathroom, knocked a toilet roll pack into where she's been toilet - ripping the plastic bag in the process, and climbed back over the stair gate to hide upstairs. So one unused loo roll has been lost to animal wee before it even got out of the plastic bag, as she ripped the bag when she moved it.
    But I don't know if the puddle is just the cats, or if Katie went in and wee'd where Chili had just wee'd a pooped
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

    Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    .
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

  9. Default

    You do know it's just the cat ... if Katie had gone in there, there would be no cat poop left.
    Sheena Stevens

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    2,062
    Blog Entries
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Madam Grump View Post
    You do know it's just the cat ... if Katie had gone in there, there would be no cat poop left.
    Of course. Cavalier chocolates
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •