Thread: Brittle claw nails

Default Brittle claw nails

I've seen this thread - Help-wanted-for-paw-problem

Katie has been dropping what looks like the outer skin of claws, and the end of a claw today. I know from the range of food that she came with that the previous owners kept swapping her food about. Apparently, she played them up a little and they fell for it and pandered to her food desires.

I'm guessing that over time her body will settle down on the food that I'm feeding here (Harringtons complete), but wonder if I should be giving her a bit of something to help her nails improve

There is no sign of any allergy, as in she is not chewing or licking her feet. But she is apparently allergic to certain grasses - we've stayed off the grass since I got her.

Photos from after their baths today, plus the claw I found. Managed to clip both her back paws today, but still working on her getting used to the front ones being handled. She was trained to lift her front paws when touched so that they could put her harness on, so taking a bit of time retraining her actions.

House training is going well. No accidents in the house all week

DSCF9915-Katie-Lexie-bathed-Apr-9-2016.jpg DSCF9916-Katie-Lexie-bathed-Apr-9-2016.jpg DSCF9919-Katie-claw-Apr-9-2016.jpg DSCF9921-Katie-claw-Apr-9-2016.jpg
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Blog Entries

Might be something, might be nothing at all to worry about Mark. I would wait a little while to see if any others are shedded.

Meanwhile, and just in case there is a problem, you could try giving her the Harringtons Salmon and Potato Complete which is rich in calcium and Omega Oils.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

I'm hoping that regularly feeding Harringtons will resolve it in the long run.

I've started her on VetVits Multi-Vitality Senior supplements, which has zinc and what have you. My anxiety kicking in. She's only been here 2 weeks tomorrow

Could she have scratched at something and loosened it? Especially after a bath, where the nail is softenend so it's easier for the dead part to come loose. I've had that happen once or twice. I wouldn't worry unduly

Jane

Fish oil, fatty acid supplement and Vit E - this is a US supplement, I haven't found a UK one but perhaps you might be able to?

https://www.pawbyblackmores.com/prod...ral-supplement
    Sheena Stevens

Mark, Try "fish4dogs" online, Salmon Oil, great for overall health at a very reasonable price. All mine are on it from day 1. When I had Honey with DE/CC it certainly helped. Any oily fish will be a bonus but look for tins with spring water and avoid all added salt. Some supermarkets have sardines and tuna with spring water, I know Sainsbury's do as I buy it from there myself.

Alison.

Thanks for the suggestions. Going to stick with the dry Harringtons, and the VetVits supplements and she how she goes on that. Her waste is firming up nicely, and don't want to send her back to wet drops again.

Her claws are brittle to the point of finding small bits here and there. I've cut the back paws, and whilst they clipped OK, they were brittle compared to any claws that I've clipped before.

I think a month on this food and sups will make a difference to her