Thread: Rascally: 4 September 2000 - 29 April 2016

Default Rascally: 4 September 2000 - 29 April 2016

I hosted an Anglo French conversation group on Wednesday afternoon, and Rascally didn’t get off her bed to greet people. She seem tired, but when Françoise went over and stroked her, lifted her head and gave every impression of enjoying the attention. On Thursday she had difficulty when I let her out: I have been carrying her out first thing in the morning and she has got her balance and then been able to trot – but on Thursday she kept falling over. I brought her inside and gave her breakfast: she ate a little.

Friday morning she could manage no further than about a metre before she fell, and was unable to get up again. This was a rapid deterioration. At the beginning for the month she could, and did, run to the side of the yard where she hoped to find rain water collected in the plastic cover over the rotovator. I also noticed that her breath smelt of urea so suspected kidney failure: she had also lost a huge amount of weight; from 8 kilos at the start of April she’d gone to 6. I put her breakfast bowl in front of her and she turned her head away.

I put her out in the sun later and watched as she struggled to move about. I looked at her expression and saw fatigue, so realised that the moment had come and phoned the local vet: come at 17:15, they said. It was Katrien I saw, and she was kind and gentle. She gave Rascally a thorough examination and said that there seemed to be no nerve reaction at all in Rascally’s right rear leg, and when I said that until very recently she’d been able to trot was quite surprised. She agreed that all the signs were those of acute kidney failure, especially when I told her the time scale. At Rascally’s age she didn’t propose to try a miracle: she gave Rascally a strong anaesthetic and I gave Rascally some cheese: a little something she loved. She didn’t even seem to notice the needle going in and hadn’t worried when Katrien shaved her leg.

I stoked her while Katrien dealt with the paperwork, then she came and did the final injection. I said it was a hard part of her job: she said, yes, but it was preferable to give a dignified end to a dog who’d lived to a good old age than, as she’d had at the beginning of the week, the frustration of losing a whole litter of puppies to parvovirus. She didn’t have to euthanise them, it was just that all the treatment failed: owners who hadn’t bothered to vaccinate the mother…….. and the pups died one by one, probably because the infection was well established when they contacted the vet.

She gave me a hug when I left and said the French equivalent of “Keep your chin up.”

I came home and so far it seems the other dogs haven’t realised she’s not here. It was about dinner time when I got home, so I fed them and expect it’s when she’s not in her bed in front of the glass cabinet that they’ll notice. And so will I.

Jane

Blog Entries

So very, very sorry that you have lost your beautiful Rascally Jane, but what a great age she reached, thanks to your expert and tender loving care throughout her long and happy life.

Yes, I think the other dogs will notice she has gone when she isn't in her bed in front of the glass cabinet, then each of them will mourn her in their own particular ways.

Your loss is Rainbow Bridge's gain; there will be one hell of a party up there tonight and she will be looking down on you all and smiling.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Commiserations, Jane. Lots of dog cuddles and wine prescribed ...
    Sheena Stevens

So sorry to hear the news. Although we have never met either you or Rascally, I feel as if we know both you and your dog family from all the lovely posts you make. Take care and gentle hugs to you all - human and canine.
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

Blog Entries

Really sorry Jane, She reached a great age but it doesn't make it any easier.

Max and Toby send you lots of love and hugs
    Sheila H [EMAIL="halls.1@hotmail.co.uk"]

To Rascally: May you enjoy peace at the Rainbow Bridge

To Jane with all my sympathy for the loss of your lovely old lady ...

rascally.jpg

Rosemary

So very sorry Jane, thinking of you at this difficult time. It's just so heart breaking when they have to leave us.
    Alison x

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

So sorry to hear that you had to say goodbye to Rascally. It's never easy, is it? But she had a wonderful life with you and reached a great age. I have a lump in my throat, I feel as if I knew her and your other dogs personally.
    Hugs
    Dorothy

Thank you for your kind words. We've almost all been there, and moral support does help.

None of the other dogs lay on Rascally's bed: I moved it yesterday, daft, I know, but I'd left it place "in case" she needed it.

I didn't like the empty space so put a different bed nearby, and the other dogs do get in that.

Jane

Just logged on to see your sad news..... What a delightful lady.... a full life and now running with the others at the bridge... Like others have said, I also feel like I've know her personally...

Sleep tight little girl, you have been loved and have given love...
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16