Thread: eye injury

Default eye injury

How he did it I have no idea, but a couple of weeks ago Easy hurt his eye. Something sliced through the cornea, a very shallow slice. After a few days of treatment the slice had fallen off, which, said Koen the vet, was a good thing as bacteria couldn't grow beneath it. He has been and is on several different cocktails of drops and the eye is healing - although some will be scar tissue so his sight will be compromised. I am baffled as to how he did it - the only possibility is a blade of grass; Koen said he has seen cat scratches do the same thing, but I don't now have a cat and have never seen anyone else's enter the paddock.

The check-ups have mostly been with Katrien, Koen's wife, and this morning she was pleased that after what seemed a hiatus of a week, the eye is now definitely improving, but it is a slow job. She decided that it could do with an anti-inflammatory, by injection - and for that she needed Françoise the nurse to hold him: owners aren’t always good for that sort of thing. He just sat there, didn't even squeak! Katrien kissed the top of his head and said there weren't many dogs she could do that to, some would need a tranquiliser.

Earlier when I’d arrived Françoise asked which dog it was, I said Easy and the young male nurse said “Facile!” which is the French for “easy”. Françoise said he lives up to his name.

Jane

Sorry to hear about his eye. I was going to blame the cat, but you say she's gone. Chili has accepted Lexie more now, but seemed to bond quite quickly with Katie when she arrived. It could be due to Katie licking Chili's ears, compared to Lexie being on edge around her.

Hope Easy's eye heals up soon
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Pleased to hear the eye injury is healing... Awful things, these eye problems and they happen so quickly too.
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Jasmine, the cat, has been missing for more than a year and I think I'll have to accept that she is very unlikey to return. I wish I knew what happened to her. Easy is a good patient, I'm glad to say, and when the little bottles out he goes to the kitchen chair, which is where I put him to put the drops in. I might have to remove one of the others from it: they jump up onto it but Easy ever has.

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    Jasmine, the cat, has been missing for more than a year ...
    Jane
    Sorry to hear that. Even if they're being fed by someone down the road they usually pop home occasionally.

Jasmine was a bit shy, but I asked everyone in a radius of 2 kms of the house - this being in the country that's only about 30 houses - and only about five people even knew I had a cat. They looked at her photo, said how pretty she was, all checked their sheds and barns but there was no sign. She was microchipped, but often people don't bother to get cats vaccinated so she probably wouldn't have been taken to a vet if someone had picked her up, so no-one would have checked to see if she was chipped (even though it's law that cats are!) No sign of her having been hit on the road: she went out one midday and never returned. I put flyers in the vets' surgeries and shops.

Jane

Jane, hope you're safe with all this flooding in Europe ?

This region has escaped the worst of the rain. I'm on high ground anyway but the local rivers are nowhere near as high as they've been earlier this year when they did flood neighbouring fields. The major problems are a bit further north and east. One girl I know has had to be evacuated with her small daughter and all her dogs, but I'm not sure where she now is. The Louvre and Musée d'Orsy are closed as items are being moved up from low level galleries as there is fear of flooding: the Seine is 5.9 metres above its normal level.

The autoroute A10 is closed just north of Orléans due to flooding on 31 May: the first time that has ever happened. It appears to have been a flash flood and motorists were rescued by big army trucks that could drive through the high water. The videos show it alarmingly, especially the view taken from a drone. Most lorry drivers were taken to a service station: some said they'd stay in their lorries but the gendarmes told them the water could still rise.......
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_sMQBmaju0
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZirjIwlZNk
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPcTjMofBww
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5koiAm4Y3k

People had to leave their cars and were taken to sports halls and places to spend the night
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSLh7K7Nbh8

The A10 is still closed in the direction towards Bordeaux between the junction with the A11 and Orléans, and between Tours and Orléans in the direction towards Paris and is not expected to be fully open until Monday. Many other roads in the region are closed and impassable

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 06-03-2016 at 08:18 AM.

Scary!!

Jane, I'm sorry to hear about Easy's eye and missing Jasmine! Some of our friends were cat owners, and their cats would often trundle off and re-home themselves elsewhere - likewise they ended up with other peoples' cat coming to live with them. But the cats generally re-located locally so they at least knew they were safe.
    (A regular hot house of cat swapping!)

Rosemary