Thread: Year old cavalier hind legs too straight?

Default Year old cavalier hind legs too straight?

Hi everyone,

I am new here so please bare with me. My 1-year-old cavalier Albie seems to have a problem with his back legs. Before I continue he does not appear to be in pain. His back legs appear to be very straight. My other cavalier has curves in his legs e.g. where his knee stick out, however, Albie does not seem to have this. When he walks it looks as though he is on tippy toes and quite often one of his legs might skim the floor when walking rather than being placed firmly down causing him to lose balance. Whatever is going on with his legs seem to be especially noticeable when he is running as he almost bunny hops. He lays like my other cavalier does which I can only describe as frogs legs so I don't think there is an issue with his hip.

I guess after all this rambling my question really is whether it is possible for him just to have too straight a leg and if this may cause him any discomfort in the future.

Thanks in advance
    Corky

P.S I tried to double check that there was no other thread about back legs etc but if I was wrong I apologise

Corky, Welcome to the forum.

Does he always walk like this, or just sometimes?

Have you been to the vets and asked them to check his joints?
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

It could, possibly, be a problem with his patellae. As Mark suggested, take him to a vet. Laying like a frog is not necessarily an indication that his hips are OK: Cavalier hips aren't really assumed to be a problem so few people have them scored. That means we don’t really know how good they are in general.

Losing balance is unusual, but it may be something congenital, i.e., that he was born with.
    Does he seem to have equal muscle development in the thigh joint of both hind legs?

Jane

Hi Jane and Mark,

Thank you both for replying. Sorry for taking so long to reply .
    To answer your question Mark if he walks at all quickly or takes big strides then it is always done with the straight leg tippy toe type walk. We have asked the vet to take a look at him. She had a feel of his joints, as at the time when I took him it was due to his front feet pointing at odd angles so she was checking him over everywhere really, but said that they seemed fine however she never saw him walk so didnt see his tippy toes.

Thank you Jane for the information regarding Cavalier hips or that laying like a frog was not indicitive of good hips. It was definitely not something I was aware of. I believe he has equal muscle development as far as I can see and feel.

I do have another vets appointment booked for him, so will hopefully be able to find out a bit more as to what is going on with him. I reached out here just for peace of mind really so thank you both for that.

Corky