Thread: Possible seborrhea dermititus skin condition

Default Possible seborrhea dermititus skin condition

So Katie's previous owners apparently always kept the fur really short.

I've allowed it to grow, and she now has this greasy zone around the collar area - which includes her ears. Fur on her back and hind legs is dry, but stroking her ears or around the collar area will leave your fingers greasy.

She had a bad diet, but her improved claws condition shows that having her on Harringtons is helping her. I've also got her on Yumega once a day, and Vetvits flex-joiins (which she loves) and VetVits Mulit-Vitality senior (which I have to pop down her throat)

I'm wondering if this might be Seborhhea Dermatitus - see www.petmd.com/dog/conditions/skin/c_dg_canine_seborrhea

DSCF0457-Katie-greasy-fur-June-16-2016.jpg DSCF0459-Katie-greasy-fur-June-16-2016.jpg DSCF0461-Katie-greasy-fur-June-16-2016.jpg DSCF0462-Katie-greasy-fur-June-16-2016.jpg DSCF0463-Katie-greasy-fur-June-16-2016.jpg
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

The old fashioned remedies are often the best for this type of thing - try adding a couple of capfuls of benzyl benzoate (Boots sell it) to the water of her final rinse when she has a bath. It does have a very specific smell, but it's not unpleasant.
    Sheena Stevens

Default Dechra Malaseb shampoo

Been to the vets with Katie today. Turns out that I only have 1 of the 4 pages from the all immunology tests. Previous owner told me that Katie was allergic to beef, even though she was cooking steak for her. Vet showed me the whole immunology results today, and Katie is as allergic to lamb as she is to beef. I've been feeding a mix of Harringtons Chicken and Harringtons Lamb. So I've been out and bought Harringtons Salmon, and we'll see what she's like in a month's time.

I've also got some Malaseb shampoo to use on her. There is still no sign of flaky skin or sores, so hoping that it's just the diet.

Dechra-Malaseb-shampoo-Katie.JPG
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ellis View Post
    Been to the vets with Katie today. Turns out that I only have 1 of the 4 pages from the all immunology tests. Previous owner told me that Katie was allergic to beef, even though she was cooking steak for her. Vet showed me the whole immunology results today, and Katie is as allergic to lamb as she is to beef. I've been feeding a mix of Harringtons Chicken and Harringtons Lamb. So I've been out and bought Harringtons Salmon, and we'll see what she's like in a month's time.

I've also got some Malaseb shampoo to use on her. There is still no sign of flaky skin or sores, so hoping that it's just the diet.

Dechra-Malaseb-shampoo-Katie.JPG
    Holly P's skin and hair are affected by her CC/DE. The only food I've ever found which seems to be good for her skin is Harrington's Salmon and Potato. She has been having it for several years now and I am happy with the results, so it might well suit Katie.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo