Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Our Bertie... Progression of SM

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by julieb7 View Post
    Update on Bertie.

As he was comfortable with the pain killing injection(metacam) last night the vet has decided to try the oral version over the next few days and monitor him before rushing in and giving him something which maybe too strong for him at the moment. He has also suggested acupuncture... Has anyone heard of this for SM???
    If Metacam helps Julie, then stick with it, but great care is needed because continual and regular use is likely to cause liver damage. I haven't heard of acupuncture being used for SM but if Bertie was my dog and the vet suggested it I would think it would be worth a try. It shouldn't think it would do any harm.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

I'll mention it to the vet, but at present I'm happy that we have some control! I'm sure there will be an alternative it's just that we had to do something quickly... Think we'll give the acupuncture a try... as you say it shouldn't do any harm... Nothing ventured, nothing gained!
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Thinking of you both Julie.

It's trial and error with pain meds, some that work with one dog will not be so effective with another. Every SM is different in each dog ... syrinx width, location and other factors all contributing.
    I managed my Esther for 18 months with meds until last week when her MRI scan confirmed what was going on. With a wide 5mm syrinx and a longer thinner one trailing behind and a severe herniation we let her have her peace. Nothing seemed to give her any rest from the persistent one sided neck scratching and pain with which she howled and screamed, enough to wake her from sleep. Esther was nine.
    Hugs for the little Bertie xx

Alison.

Well I'm sorry to say that there has been an escalation of pain for Bertie over the last week... no matter what combinations of medications he has been given, nothing has worked.

We have had world war III over the last 7 days with Bertie launching teeth bearing attacks on a confused Sydney all day and night. We have been to the vets with Bertie and there is no scope to increase or mix meds

It is with a heavy heart that both me, Peter and the vet have made the decision that Bertie needs to be set free from his pain... And to that end Bertie will be given his wings this afternoon to go and play with his little mate Jake... at the bridge.
    Last edited by julieb7; 11-21-2016 at 12:36 PM.
    Julie, Peter,

Blog Entries

Too lost for words except to say that I am so very sorry to see this Julie.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    Too lost for words except to say that I am so very sorry to see this Julie.
    Such a change in Bertie in the last few days..... Totally unexpected... He has become an aggressive monster - the pain has been that bad... and Syd is terrified.

We have given him double pain relief for his last couple of hours....

I can't believe it is happening so quickly..
    Last edited by julieb7; 11-21-2016 at 01:44 PM.
    Julie, Peter,

I am so sorry - it had seemed hopeful. It's so sad that his last days were so difficult for him and you. At least he is now free from pain, but sadly you aren't

Jane

So, SO sorry to hear this news. It is the hardest thing to do but the kindest when we say "Good Bye".

Gentle hugs to Sydney from little Nutmeg who says she knows just how he'll be feeling
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

So sorry Julie to read this.

Bertie was a very lucky little Cavalier to have you there to care and to love him.
    You gave him his peace when it was most needed and I hope with time you will be able to think of him and smile and laugh at the many happy memories that he has left you with.
    Thinking of you at this difficult time. Hug little Syd and he will bring you much comfort.

Take care,
    Alison.

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

So sorry to hear about Bertie, but you couldn't go on letting him suffer.

Lots of hugs

Dorothy