Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eventful week.

On a boat, out there, operating without any decent restraint, well Notts

Default Eventful week.

Last Friday Anna was not eating and panting, it was hot, so I put it down to that. She looked like she was getting worse mid afternoon, so I decided to take her to the vets Saturday morning. She then crashed at about 17.45 and I rushed her to the Vet. I thought I was going to lose her on the way. We got to the practice and he rushed her in above the queue. A quick examination and straight onto a drip via a catheter, antibiotic and painkiller. "Is she going to die" I asked, "Possibly" he said. Its either a severe renal infection or Pyometra. My Vet George aint cheap, but he's the best there is. They took her into theatre and injected her with a huge amount of fluid into her back. After what seemed like an eternity they bought her out and gave her to me, which I thought was odd, as I assumed they would keep her in. At this stage she was quite lucid and was sitting on my lap. She sat in the van almost upright on the way home. The vet gave me some syringes with antibiotic and saline flush to administer 5 hours later. She slept all night.
    Saturday morning I took her back. She actually walked into the surgery. The Vet covering for George looked at me with strange look. I asked what he was thinking. He said, "George is the least pessimistic person he had ever worked with and the conversation he had just had about Anna over the phone, they were both surprised that she survived the night. Her heart is very strong but the valves are poor, they think the infection proved too much for her heart and that's why she crashed. She 16 on the 25th of this month, that makes her about 85....
    Well we are a week on and she is still here. George thinks it was a urine infection. She's on a long course of antibiotics and Vetmedin for the rest of her life. Its one day at a time now and I'm grateful for every minute.

This is her on the Saturday morning after the crisis. Bit wobbly, but bloody stubborn... Bit like her dad....

https://youtu.be/ChobzDh12PA

A bit of a week for you then Neil, what a scare.

Bless her little heart, her video was just lovely. Lots of gentle cuddles and extra tasty dinners on order I think for this special lady!
    Good that you have a vet that you can trust and call upon.
    Thinking of you both,

Alison.

That was such a scare... Take care..
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

How frightening! She makes me think of Raziela, who is just a few weeks older than Anna, by the way she walks. It's so great to see her tail wagging, and such a good thing the treatment was and is effective. As I understand it the fluid is to flush the kidneys more than usual: good that you have an excellent vet.

Jane

Naughty Anna, scaring your Dad. Hope she continues to improve. Take care.
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

Blog Entries

How scary for you Neil. She looks adorable in the video bless her. I hope she continues to be stubborn like her Dad.
    Sheila H [EMAIL="halls.1@hotmail.co.uk"]

Hope she's better. Wishing Anna a Happy 16th Birthday for Sunday. That's hell of an achievement, Neil
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Aw, lovely to see that cavalier tail still wagging, glad that she is back home with you too.

On a boat, out there, operating without any decent restraint, well Notts

Well apart from the odd cough, we are back to how she was 2 years ago. Shes eating like a horse, barks for her dinner like mad and constantly attacks Alice for getting too close to me. However, I'm under no illusion as to how things will go on like this.
    Thanks to Linda and Sheena for their advice and listening to my inane ramblings....

That is good news. No illusions: Raziela's departure took me by surprise as she had been her normal self the previous day, but it in't 'alf difficult to be logical about it. Let's hope Anna continues as she is and if she's back to her two year ago self, will have another two years to come.

Jane