Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eventful week.

On a boat, out there, operating without any decent restraint, well Notts

Well, this morning when I woke, aghast at what I saw, I prepared to say farewell to Anna. She was struggling to breathe and coughing. I took her straight to the George the vet. A quick examination and he determined that as we suspected, the Pyometra had re-surfaced. The infection was taking toll on her already poorly heart.
    I stood there ashen faced and expected the worst. He looked at the ceiling in thought and then said he was going to give her an intravenous injection of antibiotics, which after a struggle as a wriggling protesting Cavalier was successful.
    An hour later later and quite a few quid lighter, Anna is walking round the garden and complaining about the lack of treats. You wouldn't think anything was wrong with her.
    I returned to the practice about 30 mins ago, to ask him some questions.

Vet said the only realistic solution is spaying, which I dismissed out of hand because of her age. So, plan B, is a series of antibiotic courses as palliative care. The antibiotics will only have a short lifespan before their effectiveness becomes redundant.
    George has a plan C, he had the same issue with an old Cavalier some 15 years ago, but the medication he successfully used on that dog is no longer available - so he is going to look for a replacement.

So, my crew are still intact, the borrowed time goes on.

Oh Neil, it's such a worry... She's a fighter.. Good on her.
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Blog Entries

You're on a roller coaster of a ride with Anna Neil and I'm sorry that she is giving you so much anxiety and for poor George the vet who is struggling to find a replacement medicine to help her.

I had a geriatric Cavalier who fought tooth and nail to stay on past her sell by date. Even when she was too frail to walk more than a step or two she wanted to cling to life, but I decided it was cruel to let her fight on past her time and let her go. Let Anna fight on, but please be careful to let her go when her quality of life has gone.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

On a boat, out there, operating without any decent restraint, well Notts

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    You're on a roller coaster of a ride with Anna Neil and I'm sorry that she is giving you so much anxiety and for poor George the vet who is struggling to find a replacement medicine to help her.

I had a geriatric Cavalier who fought tooth and nail to stay on past her sell by date. Even when she was too frail to walk more than a step or two she wanted to cling to life, but I decided it was cruel to let her fight on past her time and let her go. Let Anna fight on, but please be careful to let her go when her quality of life has gone.
    I was quite prepared to let her go this morning. She looked uncomfortable and struggling. I said to George is it time? He said not yet. Its all to do with the infection and not to do with her heart. A course of antibiotics should bring her around. We should give her every chance to live on, but it was my decision. She is now snoring on my bed, after a visit to the pub and copious treats. I dont know what tomorrow will bring. Who knows whats in store for us tomorrow? If she is not in pain and her quality of life is good, I guess we will have to wait and see what cards are dealt us. I have too much respect for this little girl, to prolong her life for my vanity.

Anna is clearly a fighter! I hope she continues to do well: luckily she doesn’t know what’s wrong.

It is great that she reacted so swiftly to the antibiotics, but it’s a shame the one he wanted to use is no longer available.

I'd not been in favour of spaying bitches, but my own Madam had vaginal tumours when she was 12. The vet removed them; they were fatty tissue and not malignant; but said he’d have to spay her as when she came in season there would be a serious problem, so she was spayed a month after the tumours had been removed. He phoned me at work to tell me she'd come round from the anaesthetic OK and he thought I could pick her up that night. She lived another 13 1/2 years afterwards.

I still didn't think about spaying until Serena had a pyo. She had had kidney problems for a couple of years, so the vet was worried, but she sailed through the op and was fine for a couple of months but then her kidneys failed. I now have bitches spayed after they've reached the age of 6 or 7; after their reproductive years are over. Done at that age they don't grow horrid woolly coats, and the vets in France remove just the ovaries with microsurgery – unless the uterus looks “iffy”.

Jane

Blog Entries

I have too much respect for this little girl, to prolong her life for my vanity.

That is so right Neil. I have known several people who thought that euthanasia was an indication of failure on their part or they didn't want their reputations for never giving up compromised.

Whatever kharma has in store for the lovely Anna, you will know you have done your very best for her and given her a happy and worthwhile life.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo