Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Partner in crime.

Default Partner in crime.

I know that some people will think that this is very soon after losing our beautiful Kizzy but we are going to start looking for a companion/ partner in crime/ snoozing partner for little Megs. We would really like a second cavalier or cavalier cross- preferably female -and can promise a loving home with lots of walks, plenty of cuddles and a resident ruby " cousin" for company. We can travel any reasonable distance from the Midlands so if anyone hears of a doglet in need of a forever home PLEASE let me know. Thank you.
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

Some will think it's soon, others will see you have a hole that need to be filled. I can't offer any help, and am a bit far from you anyway, but hope you do find another companion before too long!

Jane

I think it's wonderful A new friend for Megs and a new little one for you to love and cherish. Fingers crossed it falls into place very soon!
    Will let you know if anything comes into our regional rescue that might be suitable.

Alison.

I believe it's not a matter of "replacing" a deceased one as they're all unique! Many years ago I was told that the best way to mourn a Cavalier is with another puppy in your arms - it was some of the best advice I've ever had. I've done this four times so far, and if I'm not too old and decrepit next time I lose one of my boys I'll do the same again - my heart has had room enough for them all. So please go ahead without feeling guilty at all.

Rosemary

Smile

Lexie and I went to pick up Katie 11 days after Alfie left us. I'd been looking for a third cav for some time as I didn't like leaving one home alone if the other was in the vets for the day, and knew that Alfie wasn't going to last forever.

I got Katie for Lexie as her new companion, even though the newish cat was getting a bit more sociable.

Katie's been here 6 months next week, and has improved greatly. She's not all skin and bones any more, and her claws aren't brittle and flaking like when she arrived here.

There's nothing wrong with browsing the likes of Gumtree, Steph. Just avoid the ones who claim they are rehoming due to a sick relative or increased work hours and asking for 400 or more. But plenty of rescues have cavs looking for homes. Yorkshire dog rescue seem to have a few, or ask the regional rescue www.cavalierrescue.co.uk/regional

Here's some photos of Katie when she first arrived in March and today, and Chili (pronounced Chilli) with Lexie

DSCF9849-Katie-back-spine-Mar-30-2016.jpg DSCF1083-Katie-6-months-September-22-2016.jpg DSCF9977-Katie-Havey-look-Apr-21-2016.jpg DSCF1087-Katie-6-months-September-22-2016.jpg DSCF0890-Chili-Lexie-cuddles-August-21-2016.jpg
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

We looked well before our little Jake left us, in fact Sydney was on his way just as our little Jake was given his wings.... never to meet.... Again we acted early because we knew Bertie would have been left on his own... Nutmeg will appreciate a friend - and so will you.
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

As I read a long time ago on a sticker of the back of a car "Cavalier King Charles: you can't love just one" There is only a problem if someone does try to "replace" a dog, no matter what breed, as no two will have the same character.

Change topic slightly: Katie looks SO much better, partly because she has a nice coat now, and I love the photo of Chilli with Lexie.

Jane

Thank you for all your replies.

We could not, and would not want to, replace Kizzy. Being such a mixture of breeds ( spaniel/ whippet ?/ lurcher ?/ collie?/ and whatever else) she was definitely unique and we will never find another dog like her. She was here for fourteen wonderful years, celebrating family births and most recently a marriage with us as well as being the best comforter following the death of my much loved father.

BUT - we feel that Megs is missing her far more than we would have ever imagined and are therefore looking for a new house mate. We've contacted Cavalier Rescue and I've been scanning various rescue centres looking for a suitable dog. S/he will have to be the "right" one to fit into our lives and of course Megs will have to approve of him or her.

Mark - I have looked at the Yorkshire site but their dogs only seem to be available for homes with older children and we still have youngsters visiting a couple of times a week.

It took us a while to find Nutmeg so we'll try to be patient and continue our search.
    Last edited by Itsonlyme; 09-23-2016 at 10:59 AM.

Default Update

Still looking for a new friend for L'il Megs.

We thought we'd found the ideal candidate. The rescue rang to say the dog we'd looked at had been reserved but that they had a similar one in, were we interested? We said yes without knowing anything about her. They rang again to say she hadn't been spayed ( OK we'll sort that out) and then mentioned she need a dental ( OK we'll sort that out at the same time to avoid two GAs) but after waiting over a week and hearing nothing about the promised homecheck ( despite us contacting the rescue two or three times and being told it was an independent homechecker but that they would DEFINITELY contact us the next day - and they didn't) we withdrew the application as we presumed there was a problem somewhere. The rescue then rang us to say that if we would re consider they would accept a letter from our vet instead of the check and we could fetch the dog the following day. Something just didn't sound right with such a turn round on their part so we stuck with our decision and remain a one dog household.

SOOOOO if anyone hears of a rescue or rehome please contact me. As I said before we are happy to travel from the midlands.

This might sound silly, but have you thought of putting it on Facebook? Just for your friends, but if they ask around you never know! It works here: a woman was looking for a sightly older dog (not a Cavalier, admittedly) put it on Facebook and a friend of a friend of a friend had a dog of that breed that she'd "run on" as a show prospect. Sadly he wasn't quite up to her standard so she wanted a pet home but didn't want to advertise. They met three times before making the transfer of ownership - being ultra sure.

Jane