Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raziela: 4 September 2000 - 4 October 2016

Default Raziela: 4 September 2000 - 4 October 2016

On Monday Raziela was her usual self. I’d had her sleeping in the kitchen with the boys for a month or so, as when the pups tried to play with her it annoyed her a bit. I opened the back door and the boys dashed out, she then woke and climbed off the raised bed and, after a short drink, followed them. She wandered around, did what she needed then came straight back inside and made her way to her food bowl, which she emptied. During the day she twice went out but I had to bring her back in as she got a bit lost – that’s not altogether unusual. She’d almost always lick my nose. She could always get in at food time, probably because she followed the smell of food, and Monday night she also emptied her dinner bowl. Last thing at night I took her out, and she came back in on her own and climbed onto the raised bed.

On Tuesday morning I couldn’t see Raziela at first and for a split second wondered if I’d left her outside, odds of doing that about infinity to one!, then saw she had got between the fridge and a kitchen unit, despite a clothes airer and kitchen stepladder already being there: maybe a six inch gap. She couldn’t stand, and had urinated and been lying in it. Obviously I had to bathe her and she was quite floppy and not very responsive but her breathing was normal. I’d just started to shampoo her when she defecated, normally: I had her standing, supporting her chest with one hand, and I suppose she was in more or less the correct position and an automatic reflex kicked in: luckily I saw her back beginning to arch and realised what was happening…..

I then dried her thoroughly and used my hairdryer rather than the powerful one, as she never liked it. A couple of times she moved her head as normal when I had it on low power around her neck: she’d always enjoyed that and sometimes would get in the way of the airstream if I was drying one of the others, and move her head from side to side! I offered her breakfast and she turned her head away, but she did eat a small morsel of cheese. I put her on her bed in her favourite place in the sitting room and didn’t let the other dogs in there. She was asleep within a quarter of an hour.

I had to go out in the early afternoon: she had been sleeping peacefully all morning and when I stroked her she twitched her ears but showed no sign of waking.

I was out longer than anticipated and when I got home found Raziela had died. In a way I'm glad it was like that; she was pretty much in the same position she’d been when I went out. Even so, deep down I had hoped that after a good rest I’d find her up and wanting to go out again. I'm glad too that she had been living her life as normal until that day: it was just so sad for me.

I took her to the vet’s for cremation. She was 16 years and one month old to the day. “It is a very good age” said Françoise, the very nice receptionist, “but such a rough year for you.” There was a moment that was almost funny: I had to sign the consent form for the cremation and the assistant pulled up her litter sister Rascally’s details by mistake and said “I don’t understand: the date is already on here: 29 April.” then realised with great embarrassment that he’d selected the wrong name.

I came home and cuddled the others: they do live up to their names of Spaniel Comforters. Raziela’s bed is still in the sitting room: I can’t bring myself to wash it yet, and none of the other dogs lay on it.

Random photos - the pups weren't hers: she was a happy step aunt, she enjoyed contact with neighbours' children, was comfortable around the horses, didn't mind snow - just a lovely girl.

Jane
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    On Monday Raziela was her usual self. I’d had her sleeping in the kitchen with the boys for a month or so, as when the pups tried to play with her it annoyed her a bit. I opened the back door and the boys dashed out, she then woke and climbed off the raised bed and, after a short drink, followed them. She wandered around, did what she needed then came straight back inside and made her way to her food bowl, which she emptied. During the day she twice went out but I had to bring her back in as she got a bit lost – that’s not altogether unusual. She’d almost always lick my nose. She could always get in at food time, probably because she followed the smell of food, and Monday night she also emptied her dinner bowl. Last thing at night I took her out, and she came back in on her own and climbed onto the raised bed.

On Tuesday morning I couldn’t see Raziela at first and for a split second wondered if I’d left her outside, odds of doing that about infinity to one!, then saw she had got between the fridge and a kitchen unit, despite a clothes airer and kitchen stepladder already being there: maybe a six inch gap. She couldn’t stand, and had urinated and been lying in it. Obviously I had to bathe her and she was quite floppy and not very responsive but her breathing was normal. I’d just started to shampoo her when she defecated, normally: I had her standing, supporting her chest with one hand, and I suppose she was in more or less the correct position and an automatic reflex kicked in: luckily I saw her back beginning to arch and realised what was happening…..

I then dried her thoroughly and used my hairdryer rather than the powerful one, as she never liked it. A couple of times she moved her head as normal when I had it on low power around her neck: she’d always enjoyed that and sometimes would get in the way of the airstream if I was drying one of the others, and move her head from side to side! I offered her breakfast and she turned her head away, but she did eat a small morsel of cheese. I put her on her bed in her favourite place in the sitting room and didn’t let the other dogs in there. She was asleep within a quarter of an hour.

I had to go out in the early afternoon: she had been sleeping peacefully all morning and when I stroked her she twitched her ears but showed no sign of waking.

I was out longer than anticipated and when I got home found Raziela had died. In a way I'm glad it was like that; she was pretty much in the same position she’d been when I went out. Even so, deep down I had hoped that after a good rest I’d find her up and wanting to go out again. I'm glad too that she had been living her life as normal until that day: it was just so sad for me.

I took her to the vet’s for cremation. She was 16 years and one month old to the day. “It is a very good age” said Françoise, the very nice receptionist, “but such a rough year for you.” There was a moment that was almost funny: I had to sign the consent form for the cremation and the assistant pulled up her litter sister Rascally’s details by mistake and said “I don’t understand: the date is already on here: 29 April.” then realised with great embarrassment that he’d selected the wrong name.

I came home and cuddled the others: they do live up to their names of Spaniel Comforters. Raziela’s bed is still in the sitting room: I can’t bring myself to wash it yet, and none of the other dogs lay on it.

Random photos - the pups weren't hers: she was a happy step aunt, she enjoyed contact with neighbours' children, was comfortable around the horses, didn't mind snow - just a lovely girl.

Jane
    So sorry to hear this Jane, you have had such a bad time this year. Give the pups plenty of cuddles xx
    Sheila H [EMAIL="halls.1@hotmail.co.uk"]

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

I'm so sorry to hear this, Jane. You've had an appalling year. But be comforted that Raziela went to her next life in the comfort of her own home and her own bed and at a wonderful age. Hugs from South Africa.

So very sorry for your loss Jane.
    A wonderful age to reach and all those lovely memories from all those years to draw comfort from at this difficult time. Always with you in spirit and forever tucked away in your heart.
    Thinking of you, take care.
    Alison.

Blog Entries

So sorry that you have lost your lovely girl Jane. It is indeed a wonderful age to reach and definitely a tribute to your loving care
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Sorry to hear your news.... It's been a hard year for you....

RIP Raziela.... Run free at the bridge... You'll always have her in your heart.
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

So sorry to hear your sad news.
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

Very sorry Jane xxx
    Bridgette Evans
    Svena CKCS

Jane I'm so sorry - it has been really hard for you this year, but you have some lovely photos and lovely memories there of a special old lady.

That last photo of her in the snow in particular made me cry - she looked the spitting image of my late Row(an). I don't think we ever stop missing them do we!

Rosemary

A good age she has been your friend for such a long time, Rest in Peace little one xx