Thread: How do you get them to wee more often?

Question How do you get them to wee more often?

Katie has been here for 6 months now. She's pretty much been house trained for the last 3 months, apart from two random moments.

The problem I'm having and am worried about is that she's only usually going wee once a day. I walk them twice a day, with other occasional trips into the garden. But when I put Katie out she will just sit and look at the door instead of sniffing around. If we go somewhere different for a walk then she'll go, but might not then go wee during our evening walk.

This isn't about going in the wrong place, or becuase of the weather or because she's wearing a coat. This is solely that she won't go twice a day. This was highlighted recently when I picked her up to put her out the door. It was raining so I decided to put her in the garden instead of going for our evening walk, and as I picked her up she sprayed the bed and door mat whilst I was holding her. Both hands were around the rib cage and no where near the abdomen or bladder. Having put her out in the garden, she simply stood there instead of going for a wee on their area. I ended up walking her, and she waited until we'd been for a walk and came back into the garden before having her evening wee. Sometimes she wees whilst on the evening walk.
    Her weeing when I picked her up is purely an issue that she was full due to her not going during our am walk.

I'm worried about what impact this holding it in will have on her kidneys.

I've done all the words and praise and all that stuff, so how can I get her to go twice a day.

Photos are of when I let them out into the garden yesterday lunchtime. Lexie sniffed around and had a wee whilst Katie just sat looking at the door. The first photo was taken from upstairs, with no one down by the back door.

DSCF1355-Katie-Lexie-Garden-wee-October-15-2016.jpg DSCF1356-Katie-Lexie-Garden-wee-October-15-2016.jpg DSCF1357-Katie-Lexie-Garden-wee-October-15-2016.jpg DSCF1358-Katie-Lexie-Garden-wee-October-15-2016.jpg DSCF1359-Katie-Lexie-Garden-wee-October-15-2016.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Ellis; 10-16-2016 at 09:48 AM.
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

I've had one who used to hang on for ages if we were out: I went to a show which was far enough away for an overnight stay and she went before we left in the morning, about 05:00, and then didn't go again until at least 23:00 that night. I walked her up and down, round and round where other bitches had been, etc, etc, and in the end she chose some grass. She never in all her adult life would go on anything except grass, and I don't know why. I bred her, and when they were puppies she and her siblings would go out and wee on the path, so I have no idea why she got so fussy.

I know it's not the easiest thing to do, but perhaps when Lexie has done a wee you could take Katie to the place and then stroke her abdomen a bit forcefully: if her bladder is full then she may find she has to go.

It's is rather strange behaviour!.

Jane

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

Like you, Jane, I had one (a Dally) who just would NOT go at a show, I would walk and walk her around the "relieving area", encourage her to smell where other dogs had been, but it was obviously NOT the RIGHT place - evidenced by the fact that we would get home and she would dash to the front garden and do a ve-e-e-ry long wee with such a look of relief on her face.

Perhaps, Neil, when you picked Katie up it changed the pressure in her bladder - a delicate subject, I know, but as a lady I have found that if I turn over in bed, I suddenly need the bathroom; I'm assuming it's a female thing as my husband wasn't like that and couldn't understand me! The pressure that tells you when you have to go has changed places in the bladder and set off the whole idea.

Incidentally, I also have a girl (also a Dally) who has Diabetes insipidus which is a whole different story, but also impinges on when and where they wee.

I have found that my two Cavvie girls, who sleep together in a crate in my bedroom, will sometimes whine like crazy to go out in the middle of the night, but when I let them out they wander around, sniff the plants in case a cat has visited, go to the fence to see if they can stir up next door's dogs and generally do absolutely everything except wee. And when they come in and are "boxed" again they are quiet for the rest of the night and in the morning say to me "Go out, why?"

I suppose the other thing is the type of surface - I see your garden is a formal one, not a lawn, and Katie was a rehome. What was she accustomed to using in her old place? If she was left in her crate, maybe a piece of blanket like she would have been obliged to use then would be the answer - lots of washing, but if it works I'd say Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post

I suppose the other thing is the type of surface - I see your garden is a formal one, not a lawn, and Katie was a rehome. What was she accustomed to using in her old place? If she was left in her crate, maybe a piece of blanket like she would have been obliged to use then would be the answer - lots of washing, but if it works I'd say Go for it.
    Her last place, she either went when out or went on a puppy pad when at home in the flat. Katie was 3 and a bit when I took her on, and not house trained other than to go on a pad. First month was hard work.

It's not the place as she happily goes on those chippings when she wants to. Chippings are great as the wee flows away underneath instead of them being stood in a puddle of wet mud. Sometimes she'll go whilst out on the walk as her once a day, but not very often.

On Sunday - walked in the morning and she didn't go. Cut their claws at lunchtime and then let them in the garden, and Katie went wee. Evening walk and Katie didn't go. Let her out later and she want.
    Monday - walked in the morning and didn't go. Let out later and didn't go. Walked in the evening and went.
    Today - Walked this morning and she went. Let out at lunch time and didn't go. Walked this evening, but didn't show any interest in going.

If I leave her in the garden after a walk, or when I pop her out and she doesn't want to go - she just stands there looking at the door wondering why the nasty man won't let her in.
    DSCF1376-Katie-coat-October-16-2016.jpg

Mark do you praise Katie when she does go? Can you try a little bribery with a favourite treat and some flattery when she performs? Or maybe try something similar using a command or a clicker? Make it so she knows its a "good thing" and worth her while to perform when she's out? I taught all my "boys" a fair number of basics just by repeating the appropriate word(s) with a bit of praise when they were actually doing (of their own accord) something I wanted.

Rosemary

Quote Originally Posted by dozyrosy View Post
    Mark do you praise Katie when she does go? Can you try a little bribery with a favourite treat and some flattery when she performs? ...
    Rosemary
    Done all that, that's why she now wees outside instead of in the hallway, bedroom, lounge. She knows she's supposed to go outside, just not getting that she's supposed to go when on a walk.

Yesterday she just went on returning from our AM walk, and didn't go again after that.
    This morning she didn't go during our walk or when we got home. She just stood looking confused when I left her in the garden. We had breakfast and daily groom, I then got ready to go out and popped her in the garden - and she went. All the usual praise when she came back in. But why didn't she go when coming back from the walk as she must have been full then after 24 hours. She's drinking water ok.