Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice please - puppy heart murmur.

Default Advice please - puppy heart murmur.

I hope "our" Pup's breeder doesn't mind me posting this as I know she is a forum member.

Our breeder has just rung to say that Pup ( now eleven weeks) has been for a check up with her vet and a slight puppy heart murmur has been detected. Apparently Pup's mum and aunt also had puppy murmurs and both are now clear and absolutely fine. All the cardiology tests on both Dam and Sire are clear. The breeder has offered to keep Pup for a while longer to see what happens but obviously it will be down to us to make the final decision.

We have every faith in the breeder and appreciate her being honest by telling us the situation. We have spoken to our vet, in whom we have complete trust, and he says there is no way of knowing if the murmur will worsen/ disappear in time. I know there are lots of cavaliers out there with murmurs but just wondered what other people's - especially other breeders - experience of this is.

As I said we know the final decision has to be ours and our immediate feeling is to have the pup as planned and deal with whatever the future may bring.
    Last edited by Itsonlyme; 12-17-2016 at 10:04 AM.
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

OK: I've had maybe two puppies with early murmurs, and a friend here with blenheims has had several odd pups and a whole litter - that I know of. My pups' murmurs had disappeared by the age of six months; possibly earlier; and both lived to at least over 11. They both went to pet homes but the owners kept in touch. The friend's whole litter is still alive, five of them only 9 years old, and at a year or so of age had their official heart tests and none had any murmur but, more importantly, nothing untoward on ultrasound. I don't know their current heart status.

"Innocent puppy murmurs" happen in all breeds, more in the Giants, and are really quite common. Here is just one article: http://www.theveterinaryexpert.com/h...rmurs-in-dogs/

An ultrasound will show the condition of the heart but I gather they are very expensive in the UK: I pay 130€ for an official ultrsound at the nearest cardiologist's surgery, but half that when a cardiologist does a testing day for the breed club. The cardiologists operating the club scheme here do all have rather state of the art, up to date ultrasound machines: one said he upgrades his more frequently than he changes his car.

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 12-18-2016 at 07:50 AM.

Perhaps if the breeder of the pups had a cardiologist look her over this might settle your problem.
    The breeder of my little one now 7 months old had all pups in the litter checked & screened by a cardiologist for hearts and an ophthalmologist for eyes and this is routine for all pups bred by her. Both parents were also clear of Patella Luxation and again paperwork with results for this and all the above given to me in a folder to keep and also importantly not forgetting MRI result paperwork.
    I suppose a vet can give a general idea but if thorough testing is available why not use it. There are some problems that only a cardiologist can find or hear so better to be safe.

I hope you can get something sorted soon as I know you have waited and looked for some time.

Alison.
    Last edited by Cavielove; 12-17-2016 at 08:16 AM.

Alison. one of my late Terrible Twins had an innocent murmur as a tiny puppy, but by the time he came to me at (if I remember rightly) about 11 weeks it was gone - both my vet and his breeder's vet confirmed he was clear.

Rosemary

I hope the same goes for Stephanie's puppy Rosemary and by the time she is a little older all will be resolved for them.
    One of my old girls came in from rescue with a grade 2-3 murmur, when checked two months later there was nothing, the vet said stress can sometimes do this but she is still fine 2 yrs later and I'm just thankful!

Alison.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cavielove View Post
    I hope the same goes for Stephanie's puppy Rosemary and by the time she is a little older all will be resolved for them.
    One of my old girls came in from rescue with a grade 2-3 murmur, when checked two months later there was nothing, the vet said stress can sometimes do this but she is still fine 2 yrs later and I'm just thankful!

Alison.
    You and your vet are absolutely right about stress causing heart murmours Alison. Recently Little Joe (9 1/2 yrs) was ill and the vet was worried about hearing a grade 5 or 6. He was put on medication but was much worse during the night, so we returned to see another vet for a second opinion the next morning. She was very thorough and found a hairball the size of a party chipolata jammed inside the lower regions. We returned for a check up one week later, when the vet heard what she thought might have been his usual grade 1. He's just had a further check with yet another vet at the practice, who could hear nothing at all.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

That is very interesting Flo - do you mind if I copy and paste on to a file that I keep for (hopefully) helping others who have problems in the future? Dorothy

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothy View Post
    That is very interesting Flo - do you mind if I copy and paste on to a file that I keep for (hopefully) helping others who have problems in the future? Dorothy
    Please do Dorothy. I am only too pleased that you may find Joe's experience of future use.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Thank you for all your reassuring replies, especially those regarding stress being a contributing factor as "our" puppy had been car sick and was VERY anxious at visiting the vet.

She is going to be checked again in mid January ( aged 16 weeks) and we will then make a decision.

Fingers crossed that we get the result we are hoping for and we can bring her back to Notts. to begin life in her new home with Nutmeg.

Pup saw her original vet two weeks ago and the heart murmur was considerably reduced. She was checked again by our vet on Friday and he was unable to detect any problem at all. She is now here with us in Notts.....and don't we know it!!