Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Please say Hello .....

Asha looks almost as big as Megs already

Wonderful to see them both in the same bed together
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

She does look as big as Megs.... Great to see them getting along..

Our new pup "Harvey" arrives on the 11th February... Hoping that they both have the same first week as Megs and Asha
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by julieb7 View Post
    She does look as big as Megs.... Great to see them getting along..

Our new pup "Harvey" arrives on the 11th February... Hoping that they both have the same first week as Megs and Asha
    It's made my morning start so well to look at that beautiful picture of Megs and Asha. Thank you so much for sharing and making my day start off so well.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

That's a lovely photo but bet the next one will be of them on top of each other !

Jane

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    That's a lovely photo but bet the next one will be of them on top of each other !

Jane
    No.....the next one will be of Asha with a "For Sale" sign round her neck if she doesn't learn to sleep at night soon!!!!

She is SO good all day: coming when her name is called, toileting outside, eating well, enjoying little walks and generally being a good little puppy but when it comes to night time and we leave her downstairs bedlam starts. We do ignore her and are sure she'll get used to eventually but in the mean time I am VERY tired. I didn't realise one small pup can make such a BIG noise.

Are they both in the same bed, Stephanie?
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

No, Mark.

Megs has always slept in a crate. She's happy there, always sleeps well and it is her "den" both here and if/ when we are away from home.

Until we are 110% certain all is well between the dogs we will not leave them alone together (if that makes sense) and certainly wouldn't put them in a confined space. At night they are only a door apart so they can scent each other and no doubt Asha can hear Megs snoring .

Asha is happy to be left in a room on her own for short times during the day and didn't make a sound when we were out the other day - we left son dog sitting but he was upstairs, un known to the dogs 'eavesdropping". We know it's going to take time for Asha to settle at night as she has always slept with her Mum and/ or siblings but she is a strong character and will not give in easily. The last two nights she has managed to "escape " from the puppy pen we have and was sitting by it with a " how clever am I look" in the morning. Tonight we are going to confine her to the kitchen out of the pen and see if she is any better like that.

Any other suggestions most welcome

ticking clock wrapped in a blanket: sounds a bit like a heartbeat. Or pheromone spray, but they are more expensive!

Jane

Two crates right next to each other works well, this way they can lay next to each other but are confined to their own little den and it will also help puppy with toilet training and give Megs some peace and quiet in her own space. Each puppy is so different but it's a good idea for little one to have a time apart from Megs during the day as well. Being confident in her own company with a toy or Kong to play with will help to prevent any separation anxiety in the future.
    The last thing that you want is a puppy left at home screaming on her own because Megs has gone out and she is insecure and future problems because of this.
    It's early days yet, get a nap when they rest during the day to catch up!

Alison.

Thank you both for your suggestions. We have sprayed Asha's bed with a "stress reliever" and she has a blanket with her Mum's scent on too. Hasn't made any difference.

We have purposely made sure she has time on her own by shutting her in the kitchen for short periods and Megs is taken out for far longer walks than Asha can do at the moment so she does spend time without canine company. During the day this doesn't seem to bother her and as I said she must be able to scent Megs at night and probably hear her. I honestly think it is us she misses just as much as, if not more than Megs.

Asha really doesn't like being in an enclosed crate - we are working on it by putting toys/ treats/ food in it but with the door open all the time so she can come and go as she likes. When she was in the puppy pen she was fine with the door open but the moment we closed it she was a different little dog - whining, crying, digging and getting VERY stressed. We leave a couple of night lights on so she isn't in complete darkness and the radio for background noise along with a snuffle mat with treats. Last night she had her crate (open door) and a larger bed so she could choose where to be and it was about 4.00 a m when she eventually went to sleep properly - until then there was intermittent crying/ yelping/ digging on the doors and so on . (We are trying to be 'tough' with her but the poor little mite must be SO unhappy to continue for so long.) During the day she is happy, contented, cuddly, loves playing with toys and today has been chasing round the garden like a mad thing. ( Megs was chasing a ball and having a mad dog moment with Asha running round after her - lovely to watch and very funny).

We'll get there I know but the last thing I want is to make her any more stressed than she must feel already.