Thread: Another nominal guard dog?

Default Another nominal guard dog?

I am now thinking quite seriously about looking for another nominal guard dog, one who looks fierce enough to deter the travellers, who don't like dogs. I'd love another Mastiff but know I can't guarantee having another as lovely as Tally was. I met someone with Spinone at a show in January: I do like them but am not 100% sure if one would fit, they can be clowns to a high degree, and destructive. I don't like modern GSDs very much, I peferred the ones that were higher on the hind legs. Three other breeds that spring to mind are the Borzoi, Saluki - look lovely but run like the wind, and the Alaskan Malamute. All the ones I've known have been lovely Has anyone got any sensible suggestions? One person said go to the SPA and find a big fierce looking dog - don't fancy doing that, i want to know a dog's family. Another is the Bloodhound, Chien St. Hubert here, or a Standard Poodle. Don't want a Labrador or Golden Retriever, but wouldn't mind a Curly Coat or a Gordon Setter.

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 03-16-2017 at 05:50 AM.

A friend has a Japanese Akita, like a wolf. Keeps her neighbours at bay, but they do malt the whole coat every year

20160220_231247.jpg 20160224_121615.jpg 20160310_092924.jpg dog-brush.jpg Photo0046.jpg
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

But don't forget

wolf.jpg

Ye, I know Akitas, and I'm not very happy about them with a small breed. None of the '"fighting dogs" appeal to me very much. Lots of Cavalier people also have a GSD, and when I had Tally a lot of Mastiff people also had Pugs and one had Basset Hounds. Tchi was a wonderful guard dog but that Ridgeback character is quite hard to deal with so I would prefer a slighlty easier breed in terms of character. I know about moulting: lived with a GSD fo some years and Tally moulted like mad - Mastiffs have a woolly undercoat that they shed all year round

Jane

I did an on line - "choose your guard dog" and it came up with Poodle, Pharoah Houd, Clumber Spaniel, Soft coated Wheaten Terrier and Standard Schnauzer. A friend used to breed them and I don’t think I could do the hand stripping required to keep the coat good. Another came up with GSD, Dogue de Bordeax, Great Dane, Bernese Mountan dog, Staffordshire Bull Terrier (! not for me!) Boxer, Dobermann, Swiss white Shepherd dog, Rottweiler, Bulldog Bullmastiff and Beauceron.
    Last edited by Janelise; 03-11-2017 at 09:19 PM.

Would never have a Poodle, of any size. Family friends had miniature poodles who would bite and nip all the time. They got a full size Poodle and it would run at and headbutt the patio doors in an attempt to get at any guests in the house

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

I would definitely not go for a Swiss White; every single one I've known has been spiteful and of uncertain temper. I also wouldn't keep a Dobe or a Rottie with toy dogs, and Dobes usually have a very short life. My friend who showed them said it was very rare to get one in Veterans class (7+) because they were already dead before then. Great Danes usually have a wonderful temperament whilst looking formidable, but again have quite short lives. What a bout a German Wire-haired Pointer? The wire hair makes them look fierce enough (as opposed to the Short-haired) but they are usually quite gentle. I had a Gordon Setter living here for a few months, reasonably gentle, and looking like a gigantic black and tan Cav!

All I can say is that no one would get an inch of my driveway or my home without my little Shetland Sheepdog being on high alert! Famous for their guarding high bark but very friendly and trainable also being smaller hardy & hard working. Always busy, good fun and very active. I lost mine in Oct and I miss the warning alerts that she gave me when around the home, she was also very sweet and gentle with my Cavaliers. Very clever little dogs, not to be underestimated!

Alison.

At the show I talked to a woman with Poodles (she'd bought hers) and a family with Swiss White Shepherds (breeders who also had Chinese Crested so their dogs are used to small dogs being around) I've known some lovely Standard Poodles, intelligent and friendly and fine with my dogs. Not so keen on Shelties: I've been nipped by a couple! ditto rough Collies, I've been attacked by three different ones once when I was walking my mother's GSD and he fought the Collie off. another time I was at the side of a road returning to my car from a dog walking area and a passing motorist stopped and pulled the dog off me and then walked me to my car. I had my first Cavalier with me and he said he thoguht the dog wanted to take her over. She wasn't in season or anything. When I phoned the police they asked if I could identify the owner of the dog, which I couldn't, but next time I went to that area I saw some of the regular dog walkers and mentioned the collie who was, it seemed fairly well known but mostly for attacking other male dogs rather than people. I had nasty bruises all over my arms and legs, but luckily no broken skin except on one hand.

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 03-16-2017 at 05:52 AM.