Thread: pleasant surprise

Default pleasant surprise

The magazine Vos Chiens arrived. It has the list of the top dogs for 2016 so I looked through, unsurprised that Marlène Mouillon's "des Precieuses Pierres" is once again top Cavalier affix and No.19 all breeds with her dog Just my Imagination des Precieuses Pierres in top Cavalier spot with 127 points and aso No. 12 all breeds. My favourite dog, James Brown of Sevijean's is second Cavalier with 95 points. I was surprised that Hula's name jumped out at me; she is Cavalier no.30 with a mere 12 points, but it is good to see her there. The points are awarded for CAC and CACIBs won at specified shows during the year, with extra points for winning a group or BIS, but the shows aren't announced in advance.

Jane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Janelise; 03-16-2017 at 04:52 PM.

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

Congratulations Jane and Hula! So nice for you.

I like the idea that the shows aren't announced in advance, levels the playing field a bit, doesn't it? That way, people can't concentrate just on going to "the top shows".

Would nice to see who the other Cavaliers are - you are our main source of news from France.

Dorothy

Blog Entries

I do so enjoy sitting back with a cuppa and savouring your posts about shows and showing in France Jane; vive la differance

Not just a mere 12 points for Hula but a well earned dozen for a beautiful and well presented Cavalier.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Her ere the top Cavaliers and top Cavalier breeders, plus part of the 9th Group (companion breeds) Carlin = Pug, Épagneul Japonais = Japanese Chin. I think I have late onset dyslexia, as James Brown had 65 points, not 95. I too like the idea that the relevant shows are not announced in advance, but it is a “Given” that breed clubs shows and the Championnat will be included. The shows are listed afterwards and one of ours is a smallish local show and the other a big international show, where Hula won her first CACIB and James Brown was BOB. I’d like to combine he best elements of showing here with in the UK. It took me a while to get used to the FC I system and I still make mistakes. Using a site called Cedia, one can enter shows on line. I tried to do so for one show but my debit card number didn’t work so I sent the entries on paper. I had a phone call from the show secretary saying thank you for your entry but that I’d made the cheque payable to Cedia and it had to be to the show society so he’d send it back to me and could I please send one made out correctly. I said by that time I’d have my new debit card so could pay it on line! “No, please don’t”, he said “that will only confuse things and we may put your dos in the catalogue twice!” I do have the new card but will wait for my cheque to be returned and do as he said. In the past I’ve entered a dog in the wrong class for its age, had a phone call and the show society has put it in the correct class, and have done the classic of taking the wrong dog to a show.
    Last edited by Janelise; 03-17-2017 at 09:25 AM.

Blog Entries

I've got myself totally confused with the much less complex system here too Jane.

The absolute classic though was when I arrived very last minute at the venue with 2 dogs, one of each sex, both entered in their relevant classes. 'Get in there quick' my friend standing ringside said, so I grabbed Hattie and shot in, joining the end of the line just in time to put her on the table to be examined. She got placed. Fine so far? Well no, because my friend stewarding in the adjoining bitch ring told me they were waiting to judge her there so I quickly realised my girl had been mistakenly placed in the dog class.

Notwithstanding, I mustered my dignity in both hands and got placed in the correct bitch class with the same bitch there too.

Now I was in a predicament and had no idea what to do, so kept my mouth tightly shut and later took poor neglected Angus into the Veteran Dog class, where he also got placed. Fortunately it was a different judge.

After I got home I got a call from the show secretary, who knew me and my dogs really well. No names no pack drill, okay.............She wanted to have a good laugh at the mistake someone in the ring had made by putting in my bitch's number as coming third, but in the dog class. 'Oh' I said. 'No harm done' was the reply, ' because I realised the mistake and changed it'

I only dare to talk about this because it was several years ago with the judge, the steward and the club secretary having now shed their mortal coils. I still take in a very deep breath whenever I think of it.
    Last edited by ByFloSin; 03-17-2017 at 04:52 PM.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Many years ago when I showed rabbits I went to the Bradford championship Show, held then at Doncaster racecourse. I'd entered one buck and one doe, but managed to put them in the wrong pens. They both won their class but I was puzzled later to see the doe on the judging table for the buck challenge. The judge clearly didn't check the sex, as she came third! It was a bit galling as in other challenges she’d beaten all the other does, so would have been best fur type doe In show had she been in the correct class! She still made "Victory Row" as Best of Breed. There are three sections, Fancy, Fur and Rex. Fancy are the odds and exotic: Belgian Hares, Netherland dwarfs, Angoras, Harlequins, Lops, Polish, Dutch, and English etc. Fur are breeds with excellent fur quality: Chinchillas, Havanas, Seals, Sables, New Zealands and my Alaskas. Rex are rex coated: the guard hairs are the same length as the undercoat and the effect is of velvet. A lot of other breeds have rex coated varieties, but come under rex for showing. In retrospect I should have taken the judge’s secretary to one side and told him, I couldn’t say anything too directly as rabbits are shown anonymously and I would have indicated my ownership to the judge. I never made that mistake again and always checked when my rabbits went to the judging table or stewarded them myself.

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 03-18-2017 at 10:29 PM.

HI Flo,

I think the UK System is more complicated than the FCI. FCI classes are by age, 6 – 9 months,, 9 – 18 months, 12 months to 24 months, 12 months and over or over eight years or champion or working classes- the latter for certain breeds only. A dog can’t be entered in more than one individual class but can also go in brace, couple or breeder’s classes. After the age of 2 a dog can only be entered in the open class. On eh Cedia site, wwcedia.fr the system calculates the age and flags up the classes in which a dog may be entered I’ve tried explaining the UK class system to French, Finnish and Swedish people and their eyes roll back or they ask who checks that dogs are in the correct class. One English person said the most correct answer would be “other exhibitors”!

Jane

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

I thought the funniest/most embarrassing didn't involve an exhibitor but rather a judge. A lovely overseas gentleman was officiating. The first lady in Minor Puppy class put her exhibit on the table. After starting to go over it the judge apparently said "I'm sorry madam, but your dog is disqualified. His testicles have not yet descended into the scrotum." The exhibitor, with great aplomb and loudly enough for everyone ringside to hear replied: "Oh yes, I know that and I don't suppose they ever will. You see this is a bitch and you are supposed to be judging Minor Puppy Bitches in this class!" The judge reddened and was somewhat flustered, the poor Ring Steward was doing his best to keep a straight face - not very successfully - and most people ringside were doubled up, for though they only learned the judge's comment later they were only too aware of what had happened!

Love it! I've stewarded for some interesting judges in my time in the UK and one actually asked what the breed was! That was after he'd judged three classes. I won't name him, but he was quite well known.

I had an request to be a ring secretray at the French Retriever Club centenay show as the judges were English and they wanted English speaking secretaries. In the end the judge I worked for was French as the only French secretary hadn't turned up and the show secretary reckoned my French was good enough. It was interesting, I asked if there were any special terms or phrases used in her breeds, Curly Coat and Novia Scotia duck Tolling Retrievers and she said nothing special. It was a fairly easy task apart from struggling to make my writing legible. For those who don't know, in FCI shows each dog has a written commentary dictated by the judge and written by a secretary. Example below - not the best writing, but I understood it. It was Rascally's 11th birthday and she was best wholecolour, beating the CAC winners, then second veteran in show. I've often been asked by othe exhbitors to translate the judging slips when there has been an English judge at a show, and it's not always easy as we do use a lot of colloquial terms.

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 03-18-2017 at 10:26 PM.