Thread: Cedric!

Default Cedric!

Cedric has got out of the garden again. I do not know yet where he's found a hole, because he does not do it if I'm outside. Fortunately, he is intelligent enough to go to the main door of the house and bark when he wants to come back inside. How can I teach him how to use the doorbell? He has been known, when in the garden, to jump on the windowsill of the study to let me know he wants to come in, please. I don't let him through the window, but he has departed through the dining room window at times so i try not to leave it open, or only open if the shutters are closed.

Jane
    Attached Images Attached Images

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

Jane, Is he climbing or even jumping? My first Cavalier did both, I had to take the plastic netting off the wall which I had put there to stop him going through the fancy gaps, as he was climbing it, so he just jumped over (1.2metres). One day I came home and found him sitting on top of the refrigerator! I got him down and he then showed me exactly how he had done it - jump onto the kitchen stool, then on to the chest freezer and finally on to the top of the fridge!
    Dorothy

No Cedric digs under the fence depsite the fact that I've lined it with fine wire mesh and put heavy concrete blocks on it. Tell tale sign is that his front paws are always clogged with earth. I usually find the holes by looking to see where the grass is flattened on the other side of the fence where he's wriggled through. It's been raining very hard so I haven't been out much to do the inspection. Vincent used to climb over the fence at my old house but he'd climb back when he wanted to come in. The fence here is higher, 1.5 metres. Cedric has climbed a ladder before now,photo atttached, and used a chair to get on the kitchen worktop, but I' ve never known him try to climb a fence. The other day I hosted a brunch party and left the boxes of uneaten croissants on the kitchen worktop and clicked the freezer onto "fast freeze" overngiht so I could put them in it the following day whne it ahd go colder. i usually make sure the kitchen chair is nowhere near the worktops, but the following morning one box was on the floor and the kitchen dogs were happily munching their way through the contents and the chair was by the worktop but at an odd angle. I wouldn't put it past Cedric to have moved the chair himself

Jane
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a little monkey. Can we have a photo of the fence and hole when you find it?

Think I suggested before about laying a line of paving slabs along the fence line to stop him digging down. Lay them along the edge of the mesh so he can't try to get under it. It might be that he's moving the blocks by getting under the edge of the net
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

Blog Entries

Made me smile to read about Cedric's exploits Jane. Mark's suggestion about paving slabs sounds good to me.

When our much loved Emma went off for the weekend with the other dogs to stay with my friend at the seaside I expected everything to be alright, then the very next day I had a phone call from my friend to tell exactly what happened earlier on:

It was a warm and bright sunny day, so all the dogs were left in the securely gated back garden while my friends walked about a mile down the road to have Sunday lunch in the garden of the local pub. When they got back there was a hole starting on the inside of the gate, coming out in the flower bed in the front pathway, well clear of it. Emma was the only Cavalier missing. Friends alerted everyone in the small friendly village to look out for Emma, then they rang the local radio station.

A couple of hours later the radio received a call from a farmer a couple of miles away to say that Emma had turned up on his farm a few minutes before. The farm was in a straight line from my friends in Wembury to our home in Plymouth, so no prizes for guessing where Emma thought she was going.

Easter and Victoria were Emma's daughters from different litters. Easter used to regularly escape by pushing open the front apartment window, then she ran to the patch of grass in front of the sitting room, barking to be let back in. She never came to any harm, so I let her go on doing it. Victoria truly earned the nom-de-plume Mini Houdini because that's exactly what she was. She could wiggle in and out of anywhere she wanted, any time she felt like it. We never worked out how she got over a 6 ft fence into next door's garden, then up onto the flat roof of his conservatory to sunbathe. He used to ring me at work to pop in to collect 'Houdini' on the way in.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

They can all be little monkeys!

I have one here that delighted in following me up the ladder into the loft at the weekend. Now she stays safely behind the stair gate at the bottom of the stairs, there will be no repeat of this trick. Talk about nimble, I didn't even notice or hear her until she was right up at the top...and she is 7. The youngest cheeky monkey has worked out how to get the goodies on top of the kitchen island by using the small kitchen bin at the end of it as a launch pad! Caught her when looking through the kitchen window, finally we have the thief

Alison.
    Last edited by Cavielove; 03-24-2017 at 06:18 PM.

I went out last night: not such a common occurrence these days. I counted three in the kitchen and four in the dog room, or so I thought, before I left so was somewhat amazed when I got home at about 10:00 p.m. to see Cedric on my bank at the side of the road. As I pulled up to the garage he ran up behind the car, and when I got out to open the garage doors he almost jumped in the car onto my lap. I asked him to be a bit patient, and he beat me to the front door by a mile. I felt incredibly guilty that I hadnít properly checked that all the dogs were safely in before Iíd left the house, and also irritated that my latest fence repair clearly hadnít worked. Paving slabs are not commercially available here, which is why I used the concrete blocks. photos below, before and after. Just before Iíd gone to my room to collect my bag before leaving the house, he had been on the sofa, and Iíd then gone to the kitchen and called in the ones who were outside. He must have slipped out then. Iíd called some into the dog room and was certain he was one of them, but clearly Iíd counted one ruby twice as there were only three in there and the three black and tans were all in the kitchen. The only thing that was mildly reassuring was that he was on my side of the road and on my property, although I fear he may earlier have been sitting outside the front door barking and wondering why I didnít let him in. Certainly he was pretty pleased to be inside, and also very thirsty. Is it any wonder my hair is grey? mea culpa, though.

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 05-04-2017 at 09:31 PM.

Maybe he's got a hole in the dog room as well

I don't suppose they have wooden fences with concrete posts over there either? You can get 6 foot by 1 foot concrete gravel boards, that the wooden fence panel sits on. Heavy enough for him not to move them

www.supremeconcrete.co.uk/general/gravel-boards/

DSCF5538-Broken-bollard-lights-Dec-17-2014.jpg DSCF0225-pets-garden-May-8-2016.jpg 1e1b.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Ellis; 05-05-2017 at 12:16 AM.

They are not availablet for private purchasers either: they're the sort of thing the council uses but they are not for general sale. Unfortunately I don't know anyone on the council who could help me buy them. Wooden panel fences exist but are expensive. from about teh hceapest palce int eh region, bricodepot, a panel 1.8 metres high and long is 23€, the next height down is 90 cms and they're 16€ each. http://www.bricodepot.fr/bordeaux/se...ogRootCategory I have about 105 metres in total length to fence so it would cost over 1;300€ for a decent height or 9330€ for one easy to see over. I did toy with the idea of privacy screens: the bamboo type. I know Cedric could chew his way through, but if he couldn't see the other side he might be less keen to get out. Sigh. It's so daft, he gets out and then usually wants to come straight back indoors.

Jane

Sorry, Jane. I meant use the gravel boards to lay on the ground along the existing fence line. They're heavy enough to stop him moving them. I grunted a bit when I carried mine in on my own