Thread: an eventful day

Default an eventful day

When loading the car to set off for the Limoges dog show I hadn’t noticed a car pass, so was moderate surprised when, at the T junction 2 kilometres from my house there was one sitting there, left indicator going. After a few minutes when no cars had passed on the more major road, I flashed my lights. The driver got out, and walked towards me. I locked the door and wound down my window. “Excuse me” he said, and passed his mobile phone to me, “do you know where this is?” there was the postcode and the name of a commune: St Michel de Rivière. As it happens we were right by a road that makes a quick short cut, but not easy to explain so I told him the longer way round, easier and signposted! I think he’d put the postcode into a GPS system, but here that doesn’t work too well. My commune, St Michel l’ecluse et Léparon has the same postcode and covers 1,500 hectares and has a population of about 450. La Roche Chalais, the small town, has the same postcode but at least it has, mostly, street names and numbers. There is one village locally, where Aline and Alain now live, where all the house along one road have now been given numbers, which they are supposed to display outside There is an elected mayor for each of the three commune, the two St Michel and la Roche, but the one for La Roche is the “head” mayor.

I pondered on this as I drove to the show. I live in a hamlet of about 15 houses and although there is a name for where my house is, it’s only on very detailed maps so the postman has to rely on looking at people’s names on their post-boxes. A couple of years ago at Christmas there was an envelope sent from the UK in my post-box addressed to “Mum and Dad", with the name of the hamlet and the rest of the address correct. Jean Philippe, the then postman, admitted later when I told him I’ d delivered it to its rightful recipients, that he’d put it in my box thinking I’ d know for whom it was intended. I guessed that Ray and Brenda’s daughter Natasha would be the most likely to print off address labels from an address book and not check them, and was correct. Their house is in the centre of the hamlet and has neither name nor number, so without their surname it would be difficult for the postman. He knows I don’t have children and understands enough English to know what Mum and Dad means, but hardly knows Ray and Brenda who were then the only other English people in the hamlet. He thought I’d be the safer bet as if it wasn’t Ray and Brenda they might not redeliver the envelope but he was sure I would. In France it’s obligatory to put the name and address of the sender on the back of an envelope so it can be returned if the postman is unable to make a delivery.

When I got to the show I was unloading the car when a woman in a wheelchair came up to and asked if I knew if a large building at the side of the car park was open. I said I was sorry, I didn’t know, I’d come for the dg show which was in another much larger building. Once loaded, I was pulling my trolley along when two people shouted at me “your dog!” and I realised that Madrigal was loose. The woman caught her and as I went to put her back in the cage saw that Maxim was almost out: the door has a sliding latch top and bottom and the bottom one wasn’t properly closed. They’d seen Maddy squeeze out! Once I’d got installed by the Cavalier ring I went looking for my catalogue and bumped into an English woman I know who has another breed “come and rescue me” she said, “There is this woman in a wheelchair who wants someone to give her an older dog, of my breed, that doesn’t need much exercise.” It was the same woman, who was English but I hadn’t detected her accent earlier. For what reason I don’t know she began to talk about William of Orange and I said I thought it was he who introduced Pugs to the UK but that wasn’t her point – and I never did discover why she wand to talk about him. But agreed that I didn’t think I’d let her have her a dog. X's breed isn't Pugs!

By the time I got back to my dogs I’d missed Maxim’s class and needed to take Madrigal in. It was then I realised I didn’t have any show leads so asked a couple I know, who’d also used Maxim and Madrigal’s father on a wholecolour bitch, if I could borrow one. They produced a nice black one and said they realised I had two in open, would I like Catherine to handle one, so I said yes please and they said they’d groom them too while I was in the ring with Maddy. My ring cards had been taken, clelary in error, by comeone else, and the secretary was very kind and made up some, not quite as easily readable as the proper big cards but better than nothing.

In the ring I’d just done the straight up and down with Hula when Maddy ran up to us! I picked her up, and the judge in the adjoining ring said to our judge something about his breed taking over, and there among the Spitz he was judging was Maxim, trying to make friends with the dogs there! A spitz exhibitor grabbed his lead and a Cavalier ringsider; luckily I know a few; came and took Maxim and Maddy and put them back into the cage, later telling me that the fastenings aren’t that easy to close firmly. I think I might revert to a gold crate, which I’d stopped using because the gold is wearing off so it looks a bit shabby.

After Best of Breed, who was the ever gorgeous ruby James Brown of Sevijean’s, I asked the judge if he would plese confirm my dogs. He said “of course”: this is where a judge says they are representative of the breed and I can exchange their birth certificates for full pedigrees – for a fee! As he’d judged Maddy and found her Ok he just checked her microchip and signed all the relevant papers. For Maxim he checked his teeth and lay of shoulder, winked and said “I saw him move earlier, if not officially.” and then signed everything.

I wandered around looking at the trade stands when I noticed that the judge of Beagles in a ring nearby was the mayor of La Roche Chalais! I watched him do best of breed, then he saw me and came over and shook my hand. I was sorely tempted to say something about addresses in the communes, but thought perhaps it wasn’t the right time or venue!

On the way to the show I’d seen banks carpeted with cowslips, and thought to pick some on the way home but not on one of the more main roads. I turned into a little lane where there was a bank covered and took a few photos then began to pick. There was a ditch between the road and the bank and when I went to jump back to the road I slipped and fell into the ditch, dry but full of brambles and nettles. Getting up I slipped and fell again and my face hit something hard that hurt but luckily didn’t damage my glasses. It wasn’t until I was in the car again and blood dripped on my arm that I realised I had an injury more than just bramble scratches! Served me right, it’s probably illegal to pick the flowers. Something had pierced the skin just below my lip and it was bleeding quite a lot.

When I got home I noticed that the show leads were hanging in the hall where I’d put them after I’d washed them, fully intending to put them back in the show bag when I was sure they were dry. I reflected that it might not have been the best day, although Hula was awarded the CAC, and both the youngsters were confirmed, but all that had gone wrong was my fault. I took the dogs into the house and let them all out while I unloaded the car. I'd put the car in the garage and was walking back to the house when Cedric ran to greet me! He'd probably heard the engine and thought I was going out without him yet again so found a new escape route. I have blocked the others I found. He was quite happy to come back indoors with me, and later as I sat on the sofa with a cup of tea, cuddled up to me. I have entered him for another show, even though I'm sure he will refuse to walk again. I saw him outside the garden this morning, but he clearly came back in the way he got out as when I went to go out of the front door, holding a lead, to call him, he appeared at my side, soaking wet. No rain, but heavy dew so the long grass is soaking.

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 04-10-2017 at 11:56 AM.

Talk about a full day Did Wheelchair lady have any opportunity to open your trolly cages when she was talking to you?

Thinking of your wound, when's the last time you had a Tetanus injection?
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

No, wheelchair lady didn't get near the crate which I was still putting up when she spoke to me. I last had a tetanus jab a few years ago: yes, I did think to check my vaccination card, they should be done every ten years according to medics here, at the same time as the polio booster. This wan't really a typical puncture wound because it bled so much. I know that doesn't mean a lot. I was more worried about infection, so cleaned it up with Betadine when I go home. BTW, I didn't mention food: it wasn't a specialty or one where we did a joint picnic but Catherine' son, who's about 16, and I shared a container of chips with mayonnaise. Not haute cuisine, but we were hungry and they tasted good.

Jane