Thread: Temporomandibular joint dysplasia

Default Temporomandibular joint dysplasia

A couple of times at shows Lettie has had her mouth ďsetĒ slightly open and Iíve not been able to close it unless Iíve given her something to eat, in which case she is perfectly able to move her jaw normally. I took her to the vet: he found that she has a tendency to have a small luxation of the jaw, not very serious but I need to watch her, especially when she eats. She has no difficulty in crunching the "bones" made to clean a dog's teeth, good sign. There was a study in Scotland on the subject of deformities of the jaw, and Cavalier King Charles have, it appears, a tendency to have them BUT "temporomandibular joint dysplasia is a widespread asymptomatic condition in the CKCS and should be regarded as a normal morphologic variation rather than a pathologic anomaly". I suppose thatís a relief and itís not something else to worry about unduly, although it makes me wonder about Lettie having pups. Hula has no mouth problems that I can detect, but I donít know about Lettieís father. He had all the health tests going, plus a certificate to say he didnít suffer from patella luxation.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/wol1/...000.x/abstract

Jane

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Janelise View Post
    A couple of times at shows Lettie has had her mouth ďsetĒ slightly open and Iíve not been able to close it unless Iíve given her something to eat, in which case she is perfectly able to move her jaw normally. I took her to the vet: he found that she has a tendency to have a small luxation of the jaw, not very serious but I need to watch her, especially when she eats. She has no difficulty in crunching the "bones" made to clean a dog's teeth, good sign. There was a study in Scotland on the subject of deformities of the jaw, and Cavalier King Charles have, it appears, a tendency to have them BUT "temporomandibular joint dysplasia is a widespread asymptomatic condition in the CKCS and should be regarded as a normal morphologic variation rather than a pathologic anomaly". I suppose thatís a relief and itís not something else to worry about unduly, although it makes me wonder about Lettie having pups. Hula has no mouth problems that I can detect, but I donít know about Lettieís father. He had all the health tests going, plus a certificate to say he didnít suffer from patella luxation.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/wol1/...000.x/abstract

Jane
    Interesting experience and article, Jane. I personally "suffer" from this. It usually happens during yawning and causes an unpleasant feeling in the right ear (I only have it on one side). I was shown to use the back of my fingers to thrust the jaw forwards (even though it is already forwards) and that clicks it back into place. The action is rather like that you use to rub a cat under its jaw. Perhaps this would help Lettie when she has it? I haven't tried eating, but may do so! It never occurred to me that it could also happen in animals. Have you ever noticed that she has yawned immediately prior to this happening? Would be interesting to know if anyone else has experience this in their dog.
    Dorothy

Hi Dorothy,

Interesting that you have it too! I haven't noticed her yawning beforehand? I shall now keep looking at her to see if she does yawn! I think all in all I'm rather relievd that she hadn't suffered a traumaticc injury to the jaw, as I wouldn't have known how it had happened: yes, idle speculation .....

Jane