Thread: Clever Girl

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

Smile Clever Girl

Well, my little Amber, just five months old, has caught her first mouse - wow! Now I just have to work out how to protect the lizards which even my hunter supreme, Toby, has never (much to his chagrin and everlasting hope) managed to catch! Dorothy

Wow! None of mine have ever caught a mouse: a mole or two, two hedgehogs, a rat(!) and a swallow: two silly birds were fighting on the wing so didn't realise they'd got low enough for the dogs to jump up and catch one of them. One has caught several lizards,

Jane

Blog Entries

My Toby has never caught anything , he could have caught a spider the other day but he just stood and barked at it.
    Sheila H [EMAIL="halls.1@hotmail.co.uk"]

Mine do chase spiders, moths and flies, but I don't think they ever catch them. It's irritating if i'm on the sofa and a moth flutters above me and they run over me trying to catch it. They also try to catch things on TV and it can be quite funny if whatever it is goes off to one side as they then look to see where it went. Nothing to do with catching things: I have a new cheval mirror in my room and because I hadn't shut the door firmly, some of the dogs had gone in there. I was amused to see Melody staring quite hard at her reflection, spoke to her and then she looked up at my reflection, then turned with such a baffled expression and cm eup to me with a wagging tail!

They are generally used to mirrors; there are two in the corridor that leads from the sitting room to the dog room, and I have two display units with mirrored backs in the sitting rooom,and they do soemtimes look at their reflections above the ornaments or glasses etc., but this reaction was probably because it was new "another dog" in an unacustomed place.

Jane

Sydney is a bird and hedgehog attacker.. Harvey is just learning the ropes!
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

I half expect to hear that Harvey has caught a pigeon on the wing! I wonder why some are hunters and others aren't? My first Cavalier would play on the grass with my rabbits, and the first three generations of her progeny were also safe with the rabbits, hens and ducks. The first who showed signs of being a hunter I put in a pen with a Barnvelder cockerel for a while; she cowered away from him: he didn't touch her but she was intimidated and never tried to chase another hen or any type of poultry. I never did cure her of trying to catch rabbits.

Jnae

Blog Entries

Winston Alexander used to stalk and bring down low flying birds above the rockery from quite an early age. He would lie down flat as a pancake and wait for his prey to fly close to the top of the fence about 5 feet or so above him, then jump very quickly to catch the poor unsuspecting bird and bring it down. Trapped in his jaws he would then try to bring his 'catch' into the house; he only got away with bringing one in and killing and consuming it on the sofa, then I learnt to recognise the sounds of what he was up to so that I could quickly close the patio doors to keep him and it outside. Afterwards I would close my eyes while putting a black bin bag over the remains, so that I could pick it up and bag it for disposal.

After a couple of years he brought down a young Magpie. There was quite a struggle, resulting in the Magpie gaining his freedom through twisting WA's lower jaw until he opened up to release it. The jaw was obviously broken so I rushed him into the vet's. Later I got a call from the vet to say he had Winston on the table and could manage to save 4 of his teeth while resetting and wiring up the jaw, but 'in view of his history do you really want those teeth left in?'. 'Whip 'em out' I said without hesitation and it stopped the bird catching, but he still stalks them and the squirrels which walk along the top of the fences, not to mention the local urban fox who he sees off round about midnight on a nightly basis.

I think WA is a throwback to the old fashioned hunting spaniels but when in the house he is the most affectionate and loving Cavalier boy you could ever hope to meet.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

I think you could write a book about Winston Alexander, Flo: he has led a rather eventful life. I smiled at what the vet said; it's great to have a vet who has a sense of humour!

Jane

Sydney is a hunter and little Harvey is following big brother..
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16