Thread: dog fought back

Default dog fought back

In today's paper there was the shocking story of a woman killed and partly eaten by one of her dogs.

Liliane’s husband discovered the body on the sofa, in a pool of blood
    A 57-year-old woman was found dead at her home last week after being party eaten by one of her dogs,.
    The victim had large wounds to the groin and a partly shredded leg. The two dogs, Cyra, a 4-year-old male German shepherd and Bebel, a Rottweiler type female adopted since the beginning of the year, were taken by the Fire Department of the Animal Rescue Group of Nevers.
    "She was beating them" said neighburs.
    The Urban Safety Brigade police investigation and autopsy conducted on Liliane's body revealed that the victim was killed by Cyra, the German shepherd, who then began to eat her. Shortly after Liliane's death, the animal vomited blood and pieces of clothing.
    According to other elements of the investigation, Liliane, known for her alcohol problems, used to inflict severe corrections on her dogs. "She beat them," her husband said “daily”.
    On that day, according to neighbours, she had violently kicked the dog who would probably have attacked her to defend himself. It appears there was no food for the dogs in the house.

I don't know what will happen to the dogs, but it certainly seemed that the GSD was provoked beyond endurance. I suspect he will be euthanised, as once a dog has behaved like this it is genrally deemed too dangerous to rehome.

http://www.leparisien.fr/faits-diver...17-7110342.php

Jane

Blog Entries

Not sure how to react here. First thought coming into my mind is 'rough justice'. My feelings about cruelty to dogs are well known.

I have no sympathy for alcoholics whatsoever. Sorry, but I was married to one for 28 years and still have occasional flashbacks, even though I've been free of him since 1987 and he died last year.

How did somebody like that get to adopt dogs?

Why didn't the neighbours report the cruelty?

Couldn't the husband do something about it?
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

From the report it seemed husband was 79, considerably older than she was: perhaps she bullied him too? We'll never know. There is currently a petition to save the life of the dog - or rather, to ask that he not be euthanised. The insigator of the petion, himslef a breedr eof GSD's and chiens loup Tchècques ( czechoslovakian wolfdogs) has offered take the dog and retrain him. I have no sympathy for the woman: cruelty to an animal is never justifiable.

an update today said
    "There is something new in the terrible news of Nevers (Nièvre): a woman had been found dead in her home in a pool of blood, with a shredded leg and large groin wounds.

This woman had two dogs. It was indeed her German shepherd who killed her, the second animal had nothing to do with the drama. The woman succumbed to a haemorrhage caused by the sectioning of the femoral artery, reports Le Journal du Center.

The report favours the thesis that the woman was bitten before being partly devoured.

According to her husband, "beat her two dogs". On the day of the accident, she had "kicked the German shepherd".

Not enough food

The dogs also lacked food. So at the time of the drama, they had nothing to eat.

For now, the two dogs are still at the departmental pound, in Nevers."

I hope other people who are cruel to their dogs take notice and mend their ways, maybe realise it could happen to them! It is a mystery why the neigbours said nothing. A while ago there was a horse clearly unattended in a field near here ( I noticed hsi hooves wer overgrown so eh eclalry hadn't been seen bya farreir ina xhile!) plus he was skinny witha a staring coat so probably full of worms. A lot of us reported him to the mairie, who have the power to contact the owners and order them to take care of him or he'd be siezed under a court order. In the end, sadly, that was what happened. The owner didn't live in the area, alhough he owned the field. As far as a I can gather, the vet who assessed the horse said he wasn't in such a bad state that his owner could be prosecuted: he could be "rescued", but no-one wanted to take him on as he was very old, nearly 30, and not very sound although that could be due to his feet. Even the charities said he was a bit beyond their capabilites.

Jane

Representation, backed by the petition, has now been made to the authorities by the man and his wife who started the petition and are accredited dog trainers used to working with GSDs. They are willing to take Cyra on pemanently: they hope that given affection and kind reatment he will respond but are well aware that he could never be rehomed with an ordinary family. There is every indication that their proposal will be given full consideration and that the dog will not be summarily euthanised.
    Most of the comments have been on the lines that the woman got what she deserved! Perhaps couched in polie langauge and also many asked why the neighbours said nothing: it seems the husband was a bit in fear of his wife, who had a drinking problem. The commen wer along he liens of "imagine living for four years being beayen daily! When would your paitence run out????" The other dog appears not to be implicated but I think has also been offered a home with the same people who'd take Cyra.

Jane

Blog Entries

I agree that it would be unwise to rehome the dog with an ordinary family because of my experience with one of my own male Cavaliers.

It seems that my former alcoholic husband was beating Angus with a rolled up newspaper every day while I was out of the house. I know because one day I came home unexpectedly and caught hubby in the act. Throughout his life, although I left the errant husband about a week after the incident, poor little Angus was terrified of the very sight of a newspaper, whether rolled up or not. One day he rose up to attack me while I was innocently reading the Sunday Times, although I was only holding the newspaper out to spread the pages without creasing them. He never wanted to be alone with a man either, which lasted throughout his long and otherwise happy life.

If I hadn't known what was happening I always wondered whether I would have been bitten for an innocent 'mistake' in handling a newspaper near Angus, so this is proof that, like humans, dogs are unlikely to forget maltreatment, especially of the physical kind.

I do so agree that neither of these dogs should loose their lives because of the effects of the daily beatings they received from their late owner.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Cyra has escaped the death penalty! He was assessed by a couple of animal behaviourists who decided that he had a good temperament. The other dog, who was only 9 months old, was regarded as having been "legally abandoned" by the owner and will be offered for rehoming from the refuge where she is currently held.

http://www.20minutes.fr/societe/2106...ime=1500467519

It's quite nice to know that this poor animal won't be further punished for reacting to the dreadful cruelty he'd suffered!

Jane

So good to know that things have ended well for those poor dogs.

I was reminded of a similar happening that I was told about many years ago - but nothing to do with actual cruel treatment: their owner had apparently died in her bed and in desperation and hunger her two dogs had turned to her body as a potential source of food before they were all finally found.

Rosemary