Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy 🐶

Default Puppy 🐶

Good Morning!

I have a 15 week old pup, his name is Brucie and is just adorable!!!!

I am looking for some advice......

Toilet training
    So it would appear that even though I am giving bruice his evening meal at 6pm he goes once or twice before bedtime at 10 but still going during the night. I give him 50g 3 times a day, with treats for training. Do you think this is too much food which is why he is pooping so much??

Calming down.....
    So as much as we love cuddles when he is sleepy sometimes he just wants to jump up and play and wander all over the sofa....does anyone have any advice on this?!

What am I to expect next?! So in the months to follow what am I to expect with a cavalier King Charles spaniel?! The last few days he has started to scratch skirting boards and walls......is this something which I am doing wrong?!

We have lots of play time, I take him out twice a day for 10-15 mins! Sometimes we go to the park but sometimes he refuses to go in there!

Any advice would be welcomed 😊

I will try and post a picture of him later on when I figure out how!!

Thanks, Gemma 😊

Hi, Welcome to the group.

We would love to see a photo of Brucie.. I'm sure that there is a "tutorial" on how to do this by a member of the group.. Just search in the "How To" folder.

I'm no expert on puppy training but I do know that every puppy is different. As for feeding... did your breeder give you a diet sheet and a small supply of food when you took Brucie home?? If not ring them and ask them.... The commercial dog foods have recommended amounts on the packets but this sometimes is too much for some pups.

I'm sure that you will get your other questions answered by better qualified people on this forum.... But... just enjoy your pup!
    Last edited by julieb7; 01-07-2018 at 01:50 PM.
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Hi, will get a photo on tommorow when I am on my computer!

I have changed his food in the last week or so as advised by the vet, the vet also said to go by the guidelines but this didn’t have a very good affect on him so have reduced it!

Ha ha yes we are enjoying him, he is just adorable !

Thanks

You will notice when he does a poo, if the first bit is ok then a second bit is runny.. this can indicate overfeeding.. All pups are different and some can be greedy too.. Suggest getting him weighed every month to see if his weight is ok for his age. Vet should be able to advise on a suitable weight/age.
    Julie, Peter,

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GemmaEar View Post
    Hi, will get a photo on tommorow when I am on my computer!

I have changed his food in the last week or so as advised by the vet, the vet also said to go by the guidelines but this didn’t have a very good affect on him so have reduced it!

Ha ha yes we are enjoying him, he is just adorable !

Thanks
    I've owned, loved, bred and shown Cavaliers for over 35 years now and love to see you say they're adorable, big smile.

A word of advice about feeding: if the vet has advised you to change to a food which he/she sells, then they sell it to make some more money out of you and it might not necessarily be the best one for your pup. Did the breeder give you a diet sheet for Brucie? If so, why did the vet recommend you to change it?

The second bit of advice about feeding is that dog food manufacturers are in business to sell you as much of their food as they can persuade you to buy, but in all my time with Cavaliers I've never yet had one pup who has needed as much as they say on the packet. How much does Brucie weigh? What does he eat apart from branded dog food? How many times a day do you feed him and how much? How do you measure his food? By the handful? By the measuring cup, or do you weigh it out? Just filling up the bowl is not a good idea. Cavaliers are usually greedy and will eat until they can't take any more.

About the chewing you mention. Sorry to let you know that is what puppies naturally do. Human babies put things in their mouths to see what they are and so do pups, plus they scratch and bite at things we don't want them to have. When does the scratching and chewing happen? Is it when you are out, or at home but in another room or doing something else? A good way to stop most of the 'damage' is to put Brucie in a puppy play pen when you can't give him your full attention. When you're out of the house it can be dangerous to leave a pup alone in a room or to wander about the home without human supervision, so this is when a small sized crate or cage comes in. Put Brucie in it while you are with him to start with, giving him a treat, some comfy bedding (Vetbed is the most widely used) and a toy or two. Start with very short spells inside and gradually increase it, then start going out of the room for a short but ever increasing time before you actually go out and leave puppy alone in it. Most dogs like their crates covered on three sides for privacy, with something soft (I use old duvet covers bought from charity shops). You might find like my very first show dog in the 1980s, that puppy just sits down in the crate as if he's used it all his life and you can leave him quite happily, but best to be sure.

Okay, this should do for a start but looking forward to seeing pictures of Brucie when you have time to post them.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Chewing: this doesn't work on every surface, unfortunately, but the Mennen green stick deodorant is a brilliant disincentive to chew! I've had dogs start to chew but a quick rub of this deodorant on the surface is sufficient to stop them: it is either the smell or the taste they don't like. I've not tried the spray: that might work, too :-) Keeping him occupied will help; a small Kong, the type you put treats inside, is very good, and Royal Canin make a very low calorie treat called Educ: not cheap, but the dogs love it. One of mine, Hula, unusually for a girl, screamed blue murder when she had her first vaccines. The vet gave her an Educroc, she ate it, quietly, then began to scream again. He gave her another, then noticed that as she began to scream again she was looking at the drawer from which he had taken them! "She's training me!" he laughed and was very amused that the following year she stared at the same drawer "I've fooled her" he said "I keep them in another drawer now! Iím impressed by her memory."

https://www.medicanimal.com/Royal-Ca...ats/p/I9112561 - out of stock on this site, but vets might sell them.

and there is always Amazon!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Royal-Canin.../dp/B004RATTUG

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 01-08-2018 at 11:27 AM.

IMG_6513.JPG

Photo should now be attached!

Food -
    Weighed on 30th Dec and was 2.59kg, that was just 2 days short of 14 weeks
    Advised to change food because poo was not formed, still a whippey cream, getting there with the new food which is called MIPET
    Feeding 45g 3x a day. Using pedigree tasty puppy bites as treats for training. Also every other day giving him a small kong with some peanut butter in it . I weigh his foods on scales

When we are eating is a bit of a nightmare cos he is either jumping up at us or scratching on the chairs......or when he can see us and can't get to us (we were puppy proofing the garden at the weekend and had a good old scratch at the wall) think it was cos he could see us

During the morning and afternoon and bedtime he is in the kitchen, he has never had a crate and sleeps fine
    Do you think introducing a play pen now maybe in the living room would be ok? Or we would have to just perserver with it?
    I have him a basket/cushion/blanket I'm the front room but he only gets in there to play with his toys!

Am I mean not letting him upstairs yet?!

Thanks for your advice! I feel like I am literally a new mum learning as I go ��
    Last edited by GemmaEar; 01-08-2018 at 08:51 PM.

Thanks for the advice! I may look in that that treat and stick/spray as you have suggested!

I totally understand he is a puppy and know that chewing, nipping etc is all normal! I am just slightly struggling with trying to do anything and leave him un attended at the moment, I don’t want to put him away in the kitchen every time I want to jump in the shower!

It’s so hard! But he is worth it ��

Sweet photo! I might be unusual in thsi but I have never let dogs upstairs: I don't generally like animals in our bedrooms and the strain on young joints when going up and down stairs is not good, especially on the front legs and shoulders.

I now live in a single storey house and the only times any dogs have been in my bedroom is when two had puppies, and they and the pups have stayed there until they were big enough to be in the rest of the house with the adult dogs. I have French windows that open straight onto a small and securely fenced bit of garden.

I have crates and the dogs like them and go in them of their own volition: they are their little "caves".The dogs have to go in crates when at shows, of course, and once I’d been in a class with Bijou and was standing ringside watching the following class. Bijou apparently got bored, slipped backwards out of her show lead and set off in a straight line back to her crate. This involved going underneath some larger dogs, which she did with utter confidence. When I caught up with her she was sitting at the door of the crate waiting for someone to open it for her!

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 01-10-2018 at 11:44 AM.

A lovely photo... He looks some much like our Harvey!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Julie, Peter,