Thread: Another close call

On a boat, out there, operating without any decent restraint, well Notts

Default Another close call

Last Monday I went into panic mode, as my 5 year old Black and Tan Amy stopped eating.
    Got her to the vets and put her on the scales. It was at this point I noticed moisture on my hand when I picked her up
    My heart sank, as I was now thinking Pyometra. But Amy is only 5.
    Vet examined her and said its either urine infection or Pyometra.
    Whizzed her in for an ultrasound, turns out its a huge Pyometra and immediate surgery.
    Well, just under 1000 later, I have a recovering Cavalier.

Vet said that if I had waited another 24 hours, the conversation we would have been having would have been entirely different.

20247978_10214345398850474_2260588997121861494_o.jpg

Oh no... Poor Amy. So glad you got her there in time...But what a shock though.

Pleased she's recovering well.

Maybe time to look at her little sister to prevent the possibility of another shock...
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

Blog Entries

Oh Neil what a nasty shock for you, but so glad it's turned out expensive but allright. It must have been an open Pyometra. Lucky for both of you because the closed version is much more difficult to diagnose and often found too late.

A bitch can get a Pyo even as a puppy. I've heard of it before even the first season, so never think it's an elderly bitches' disease.

I've been lucky not to have lost 2 of my past bitches to the condition so I made the wise decision years ago to spay any lady not intended for breeding between the first and second seasons, although many vets now recommend the spay should be done when they are much younger. The vet might also tell you that spaying prevents mammary gland tumours (cancers) too, although none of my entire bitches ever showed signs of it, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Poor Amy! Glad you found out in time.... After having lost two from a pyo myself (both died after surgery, but one had an underlying kidney problem which did concern the vet) I now spay (or the vet does!) my older bitches, after they've had any litters they're going to and if possible just by removing the ovaries. The vet does an endoscopy to look at the uterus and if it's in good shape doesn't remove it: a smaller and less invasive operation. he tells me teh a couple of decades of studies by the veterinary unvistities in France that have shown that after this op no bitches have subesequently developed a pyo; onece the hormones don'r act any longer it seems the risk is nil. Whne Rascallya dn Raziel wr spayed he said Rasally's uterus was as thick as his thumb, so he decide o would be safer to remove it. Raziela's, on he other hand, was smaller so she just had the ovaries removed. It might seem obvious, but she recovered so much more quickly than her sister. It amazes me that they'ere bouncing around just a couple of days after the op: I had a hysterectomy and was certainly not bouncing around even two weeks later. In hospital I wasn't allowed to get out of bed unaided for two days, which was extremely frustrating, and did overdo things once home and collapsed on the kitchen floor. Luckily my neighbour came round round with the intention of offering to make me a cup of tea so she got me up on my feet and into the sitting room , and gave me a little lecture. Yes, I know that dogs use their stomach muscles differently from the way we do, and hey don't know what's happened to them.

BTW, it doesn't seem possibel that the girls are now 5!!!! Best wishes to Amy for a speedy recovery!

Jane

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

So sorry to hear that Neil, fortunately you got it in time, but that photo shows one massive infection - I wonder how long it took to develop?

I spay my bitches when they've finished breeding, but wouldn't have expected a pyo in one so young. Just goes to show, they're all individual. For puppy buyers who don't intend to breed I always recommend waiting until after their first season, better still the second, as they need those growth hormones produced by the ovaries (and testes for dogs too). I understand that there is growing evidence that the growth plates in the long bones are affected, and certainly my first dog (a Dalmatian) who was spayed the day she turned six months, grew much taller than either of her parents. I would definitely not go along with the very early spaying/castration practiced by some vets at the insistence of animal welfare societies. In some parts of Australia I understand that shire councils charge exorbitant fees for licences for non-desexed animals (their terminology) resulting in new owners having the op done as early as eight weeks - in my opinion this is not in the interest of the animal concerned.

I hope that Amy is already well on the mend and continues to improve.

Poor Amy. Hope she's on the mend soon. Take care.
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

Get well soon Amy!!
    How scary this must have been for you Neil...

Rosemary

On a boat, out there, operating without any decent restraint, well Notts

Cheers all, shes fine now. Just finishing the antibiotics for the water infection she has acquired. Lucy is just finishing her season, so about Christmas, shes in for the spey.

Great to hear that she's fine..
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16