Thread: new rabies vaccine protocol in France

Default new rabies vaccine protocol in France

Yesterday I took three dogs to the vet for their vaccines. There is a change of protocol for rabies vaccines and they differ for different manufacturers: mine have Rabisin

In France :
    o The first booster must be given within 1 year after primary vaccination (day to day);
    (the duration of the validity of the first vaccination can not exceed 1 year).
    o Subsequent recalls are carried out according to the rhythm set in the AMM.
     1 year for the majority of vaccines currently available on the French market
     every 2 years maximum for Versiguard® Rabies vaccine in cats and ferrets
     every 3 years maximum for Versiguard® Rabies vaccine in dogs
     every 3 years maximum for Rabisin® vaccine for vaccination of dogs and cats
     every 3 years maximum for the vaccine Purevax® Rabies intended for the vaccination of the cats (establishment of the immunity: 4 weeks after the primary vaccination).

In France :
    o The first booster must be given within 1 year after primary vaccination (day to day);
    (the duration of the validity of the first vaccination can not exceed 1 year).
    o Subsequent recalls are carried out according to the rhythm set in the AMM.
     1 year for the majority of vaccines currently available on the French market
     every 2 years maximum for Versiguard® Rabies vaccine in cats and ferrets
     every 3 years maximum for Versiguard® Rabies vaccine in dogs
     every 3 years maximum for Rabisin® vaccine for vaccination of dogs and cats
     every 3 years maximum for the vaccine Purevax® Rabies intended for the vaccination of the cats (establishment of the immunity: 4 weeks after the primary vaccination).

Jane

Benoni, 32km east of Johannesburg, Tvl, South Africa

That's quite interesting Jane. We used to use Rabisin a decade or more ago and then they started using Nobivac instead. Lately they have started using Defensor3 and my vets have all suggested that there should be a booster after one month, although that is not shown on the website. After that it is a year and then three-yearly, which the government have agreed to - previously it was law to revaccinate every year for rabies, as we have a large pool of the virus in our wildlife - meerkats in particular (they are a type of mongoose). When we travel with our dogs we have to have our proof of vaccination with us if we go outside our magisterial district, though in 44 years here I have NEVER been asked to show it! It seems only the airlines are interested in it. In the rural and farming areas they run free mobile clinics which helps the farmworkers, though frequently the farmers have to keep nagging them to take their dogs, or even force them to do so by loading animals and owners up and depositing them at the clinic! The 'something for nothing' ethos has yet to filter down to them!

I am very glad we no longer have to do it annually, I already believe that we over-vaccinate.

Dorothy