Results 1 to 1 of 1

Thread: Libourne

  1. #1

    Default Libourne

    Libourne was a Cavalier breed specialty, but although the entry was higher than usual it wasn’t huge: 16 Blenheims, 17 wholecolours and 10 tricolours – not forgetting 5 King Charles. There were two judges: the judge for adults also judged most of the 5th group- primitive breeds, Spitz, Akitas etc. The judge for the juniors and puppies also judged quite a few of the first group: herding breeds and schipperkes. I got there early as parking can be a nightmare once the main car park is full. As I was putting the dogs in the crate on the trolley Naïcha sipped out and ran off. I wasn’t too worried, as the car park is enclosed, and I called her as she ran towards a group of people with some Setters. She then disappeared from view ad I called her again, only to have her nudge my left hand: she’d come back round the back of the row of parked cars. Once in the crate again she lay down and looked regal and comfortable on the trip to the showground – a park in the centre of town. I collected my catalogue and was heading for the Adult Cavalier ring when somehow I turned my trolley on a slight incline and the whole lot toppled over on its side. A kind man and woman helped me get it upright again, but as I went to move off I saw blood all over my right hand. I said, quite loudly, and in French “Oh! I’m bleeding”. I hadn’t noticed but I was right by the “Secourists’” ambulance: they are a sort of equivalent of the St John’s ambulance, and the man and woman almost grabbed and manhandled me into the ambulance and began cleaning me up. I’d got a gash in the tip of my middle finger and it would not stop bleeding “You need to go the hospital to get that stitched.” Said the man, while the woman wasn’t sure. I asked if they had any of those little sticky bands to hold wounds closed, but they said no, they can’t use them as they can only be used by qualified nurses and doctors and they are only qualified first aiders. I said I need to get my dogs to their ringside and get some friends to keep an eye on them. Eventually I had a substantial dressing and they said “come back as soon as you can.” I found the ring and saw one woman I knew and she said she'd certainly keep an eye on my dogs. I went to Naïcha's ring and told the steward that I could be absent for a while and would it be OK if I was a bit late with my dog as her breed was due to be judged after about four others. The judge, listening, said “Bring her now!” so I did. The trot around the ring was not a success: she tried to jump up on my back and was quite unruly. She stood well and he asked me if I knew someone else who could move her for me. My usual “handler” wasn’t at the show as he'd had to work, but the judge asked a woman ringside if she would take Naïcha round for me. On the second circuit Naïcha was moving beautifully and I said “Wow!” The judge turned to me and grinned “exactly, Madame,” he said, “She is a lovely bitch and it’s better if someone else moves her as she is too keen to get close to you.” He gave her 1st excellent. She was the only junior entered, but he repeated that she was a really lovely girl and thought, from looking at her, that there could be some of his dogs in her pedigree. He said to the secretary “Best Junior, the dog, not the handler. And add “owner doesn’t know how to present her to advantage”. I put her back in the crate and returned to the secourists. The dressing was by now quite bloody so they decided to change it; this time the wound was bleeding less and the woman said she was sure just a firm dressing would be OK. The logistics of getting to the hospital were not simple: they couldn’t take me as they had to remain on the site and I didn’t want to drive as I’d lose my car park space. I could have walked; it was only two kilometres; or taken a taxi (!) and it was really too insignificant a wound to justify asking the sapeurs–pompiers to come and take me by ambulance. The woman put a tight compress on it and then they wrapped it up tightly and put an elastic finger stall on the whole lot. “If any blood comes to the surface you must go to the hospital.” It didn’t, and I haven’t yet changed the dressing today as I’m not confident of being able to do it myself so may go to a neighbour for help. I then went and got a cup of coffee and a croissant and sat in my chair to calm down. The Cavaliers weren’t terrifically successful: Maxim was 4th excellent, but beat a dog who’d been a show rival of Cedric’s! Madrigal was 3rd, but just Très Bon, and Hula was 4th – also Très Bon, and the first time she’d been beaten by her daughter. I was delighted with the Best of Breed, a tricolour dog called Barcley Von Welfenhof owned by a friend of mine, Sylvie Landriau. We’ve been at a few shows together and she has a Blenheim dog who also does well but hadn’t entered him for Libourne: Barcley is her favourite although she knows she shouldn’t admit it! I went to have a look around the show and as I approached a Mastiff he looked up at me and wagged his tail. Not usual for the breed, so I went and said hello and his owners said “he recognised you! We met at such and such a show!” I though it really nice that he recognised me from just one encounter. When I collected Naïcha’s cup a voice to the left of me said “Don’t give her a cup unless she fills it with champagne!” Alain was standing there, so I asked if he wanted it filled with champagne to toast the birth of his recent grandson. He clearly knew the people of the committee, and one person asked I he really did have a new grandson, so he said, yes, Oscar, born in the UK – and he and Aline had been there as Sarah Jane, their daughter- in-law had been due to have an elective C-section so they went beforehand and stayed for a while afterwards to help while she was in the first stages of recovery. Luckily their first child Hugo is delighted with his baby brother, even though he can’t play yet!
    It’s France, so there was food!!!! After judging there was the usual “vin d’honneur” of a breed specialty with nibbles provided by the local delegate but we also added the food people had taken for the picnic. I’d made a pasta salad with sweet corn, prawns and thin slivers of crystalized ginger, someone had made an asparagus quiche and there ware pâtés (duck, venison and wild boar), cheeses, breads, and what is pretty much a French version of a pork pie: sausage meat with hazelnuts in pastry, olive cake, and for dessert strawberries and sweet cake! I did take Naïcha in the group for best junior but she wasn’t shortlisted (no surprise!) I then went and brought the car into the park to load it. Someone had chewed through Maxim’s lead so he wasn’t wearing one but as I opened the crate he jumped out and straight into the crate in the car, followed by the girls. I lifted Naïcha in to be sure. When we go home I opened the crate and the first out was Naïcha. I had hold of her lead and she dragged me to the front door, so keen to be home. She was extremely tired and spent the evening asleep next to me on the sofa while we “watched” the Baftas: I might have dozed off too(), but was awake to see Blue Planet’s so well deserved Award!!

    Last edited by Janelise; 05-15-2018 at 09:15 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts