Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nightmare!

Default Nightmare!

As Savannah had done a good job of looking after the dogs last year when I was away for almost a month for my trip to Australia, I didn’t hesitate to ask if she could look after them for a week while I went to Wales for my niece’s wedding. I had to alter the arrangements a little, as Brittany ferries cancelled my night sailing and put me on the 14:00 one instead, meaning I had to get up very early to get to Caen in time. Savannah arrived the evening before, we went through the routine for the dogs, meals etc., I gave her half her fee and she spent the evening cuddling the dogs in turn while I tried to get the French satellite TV decoder to work. I said I wouldn’t let the dogs out when I got up, as it would be very early and she replied that she normally rose at 7 so they would be OK. Once on the ferry I phoned home to ask if everything was OK but got no reply. I thought she may have gone back to her house for a while as she lives very near, but soon after the second time I'd tried with no reply was very surprised to have a phone call from Aline. She told me there were huge problems with the dogs, so I was very alarmed. Apparently Savannah had gone up to Fréderic, who is the person I said she should contact if she had any problems or needed to take a dog to the vet or something, and told him she couldn’t stay so he’d have to look after them! If Fred had been able to look after the dogs, I would have asked him in the first place, but he has health issues and couldn’t manage it. He said he couldn’t do it, then had a brain wave and suggested Savannah phone Aline, thinking that she and Alain had owned the local boarding kennels and might have an idea. He phoned to prewarn her! Aline said she and Alain thought the simplest solution would be to take the dogs to the kennels if they had room, but was annoyed to find, when they and François from the kennels reached my house, that Savannah had already gone and hadn’t left the keys where she’d said she would. They went to Fred’s house and borrowed his set, then were a bit dismayed to find all the dogs shut in crates with no water. I have a couple of sheets of card on the side of the fridge with photos of the dogs with their microchip numbers, dates of birth and registration numbers. François took them, as they didn’t know where to find the dogs’ folders and hoped their vaccines were up to date: a rule at the kennels. Aline said the dogs went easily and they installed them at the kennels, didn’t take their beds, cushions or food, but François would feed them OK. I was a bit upset and very annoyed at Savannah: Aline’s opinion of her was unrepeatable! The following day I phoned François and he said they could stay until 18th, which was OK as I was due to return on 13 th and could collect them the following day. Fred sent me an e-mail so I was able to reply that everything was sorted but I was really sorry he’d been put to so much trouble. I got home about 21:00 on 13th, and was a bit surprised the following morning to have a phone call from a friend: Anne said that Nick had broken his arm earlier in the week, the break had needed to be pinned so he’d stayed in hospital but was now ready to come home and as she doesn’t drive and there was no ambulance available, they needed transport. I’d already offered to drive them to an airport, so she wondered if there was any possibility that I could take her to collect him. I phoned François to ask if it would be OK to delay collecting the dogs until the afternoon, and he said yes, so I went on the mercy trip. Poor Nick had done the classic of falling off a ladder which he thought he’d firmly wedged into place, and now he has to employ someone to do the painting he’d started. I went home, picked up my cheque book and went to the kennels. François said that Cedric had been a bit dull and I said he should have been having Cardisure. That had been on Savannah’s instruction sheet but I’d not mentioned it to Aline: it would have been complicated to explain where the tablets were and in fact later I found they were on the spare room bedside table so she had obviously given him his morning ¼ tablet and decided to keep them in her room rather than the medicine cupboard where I normally keep them. François said Cedric was OK, just that he noticed he’d aged since he last stayed there. He had clearly noticed the different personalities of the dogs and said the photo ID cards were invaluable, as he was able to talk to them by name and get them correct. I said he did better than me as I often get the rubies muddled and call Goldi “Lettie” or vice versa! I have been known to call Hula “Maxim”, and she gives me a dirty look. So far I have not been in contact with Savannah, but I shall need a good explanation! Someone recently asked me why I don’t go away more often! The kennels are fine and it’s clear that François and Charline treat the dogs very well, (the dogs love them!) but they are rather more expensive than having a dog sitter in the house. The wedding was great and I also managed to see both my newest step great grandsons in Kent (a bit of a surprise as Tobias, the newest had been in the ICU at great Ormond Street Hospital, having had to have been induced as his mother had Intrahepatic Cholestasis of Pregnancy and when I’d last spoken to his parents they weren’t sure when he might be allowed home. He’s OK, but has to have quite a lot of medicines and many hospital visits are scheduled) but all the time I had the little niggle in the back of my mind, worrying if the dogs were OK. They’re happy to be home and we spent a pleasant evening watching things I’d recorded on TV.

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 06-15-2018 at 05:38 PM.

OMG... One of my worst nightmares... We have a lady who has looked after all of ours from puppies and to be honest I wouldn't book anything until I knew she was around to look after them... I appreciate that dates don't match sometimes when you have to be somewhere else... That hasn't happened to us yet but it may in the future... I don't know what I would do in that case...…. I'm going to have to have a plan B...………. but finding it is going to be difficult...
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

There was a woman who lived in a nearby village who would happily look after them, but she has gone back to England! I'd found Savannah on a professional dog sitting site, but this time had employed her privately so have no real comeback. She had once before done a private "weekender" when I went to the Championnat, and that had been OK. I need to find someone else soon as I need to be away for the weekend of 14 July - And as that is a public holiday (Bastille Day) it probably won't be easy :-(

On the plus side it was a lovely wedding and I wouldn't have missed it for anything. Hannah and Nick's dogs wore bow ties: one to match the bridesmaids' dresses and the other to complement the groom's suit

Jane
    Last edited by Janelise; 06-17-2018 at 08:32 AM.

This was taken by the professional photographer :-)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Utter nightmare.
    I'd have to leave feedback on the website of what she's done. What if no one else had been able to look after them and they'd spent all that time in crates.
    Click this line to see Alfie's Picasa web photo albums

Click this line to see Alfie's You Tube videos
    Mark, and my Blen - Lexie DOB 7/07/11, and my B/T - Katie DOB 01/12/12

That would have been a bit difficult as this time I hadn't contacted her through the agency, so was illegally employing her "on the black" and had no real contract other than my e-mails asking if she'd do the job and her replies saying she would and what her fee would be. Interestingly I did look on the site from where I'd employed her and she doesn't appear as a potential guardian any more. Whether that means she chose to no longer work for them or they dropped her I don't know! I am just glad that I have friends who were capable of dealing with the situation, even if it did cost a lot in kennel boarding fees. Eight dogs for nine days! and François did give me a small discount I had to transfer money from a savings account to cover the cheque :-( Luckily my work pension was paid in to my bank account a week later so I was able to transfer some back. I need to be away overnight twice more this year for the Saluki club show and the Cavalier Club show which are both a long way from here and not (safely) driveable in a day, and putting the dogs in kennels for two days is not such an expense. I thought if I want to be away from home for more than a few days in future it might be worth paying my old dog sitter's travel costs to come over and stay here, assuming she'd be willing!

Jane

Continuation of the saga: I had a shock this morning when a van from the SPA at Bergerac, the equivalent of the RSPCA, pulled up the drive. Two women got out and said they’d received a complaint! I invited them in and one said to the other “these dogs are well cared for!” as she stroked Goldi. The other asked how many I had, and I told her eight; they counted, then asked if I had their “carnets de santé” (health records) I said I did and went and got the metal filing box in which I kept them and asked if they’d like to check them. “No need” said the one who looked like the boss. Then they asked if I’d been away and I said yes, and that I had left someone guarding the dogs but she had abandoned them. I told them the story and they were quite shocked, I also said that for the next time I go away (for just two days) I have the dogs already booked into the local kennels. Eventually they apologised for having wasted my time, I said they were right to follow up a complaint and the “boss one” said something about “even if spurious!” She also commented, seeing the sacks of Autarky grain free dog food in the entrance hall (I’d unloaded the car but not got as far as putting them away), that I fed my dogs on a good quality food. I’m assuming that the complaint had been made by Savannah, but can’t think why and I can’t get in contact with her! I phoned Aline to tell her and she said she hoped I told them that Savannah had abandoned the dogs , leaving them in crates with no water: I had!
    Last edited by Janelise; 07-10-2018 at 10:37 AM.

Hope the SPA throw the book at her for time wasting. What a horrid person this Savannah has turned out to be..
    Julie, Peter,
    Sydney & Harvey - Jake 21.02.11 - Bertie 21.11.16

So do I!!!!! I still have no real idea of what it was all about: it did occur to me that I had recently changed brand of clothes washing liquid so possibly the "allergic reaction" she told Aline she'd suffered may have been to the bedlinen. It hasn't affected me, but I am not allergic to many things. A friend of mine once used a well advertised brand of fabric softener which brought her son out in a dreadful rash. Her washing machine (like mine) does final clean water rinse so there should be little residue but I realise there always is some.

Jane

Blog Entries

What a nightmare this has turned out to be for you and the dogs Jane. I find it hard to work out why Savannah has treated you and the dogs so badly. Alergy to fabric softener is no excuse and to have tp then complain to to the SPA is totally uncalled for.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo