Thread: Desperately Searching for a Rescue Bitch

Blog Entries

Default Desperately Searching for a Rescue Bitch

After taking time to think things out very carefully after Holly P died I realised we desperately need a mature bitch to try to fill some of the void which our wonderful girl left behind her, so I contacted multi breed rescues up and down the country and f course Midland Cavalier to see what they might have. To my initial surprise I was told most people parting with a dog these days look for a sale for profit on Gumtree or Preloved and similar sites, leaving Cavalier rescue requests unmet and with long outstanding waiting lists. The multi rescues such as Blue Cross and Dogs Trust have many dogs available but comparatively few bitches available for adoption, in the case of Battersea Dogs Home, who have accepted me as an adopter, they have also told me mine is an almost impossible request.

Dogs Trust do seem to get some small to medium bitches in but they are reserved almost as quickly as they come in, but I am still trying their web site a couple of times each day.

Blue Cross have so many requests that as soon as a particular animal attracts applications they put a reserve on it then start to go through them, offering the animal to the first suitable application they find on the pile of suhmissions.

I've tried Whippet Rescue; I like them so much, but they haven't a bitch to offer.

I haven't yet tried Southern Cavalier Rescue because Veronica is recovering from broken ribs after an accident when she stepped on a manhole cover in her garden and fell down a shaft, but I will get in touch when she has had a bit more time to feel better.

I've registered my interest with Humberside, but they haven't had a dog for rehoming for quite a long time, so not at all hopeful there.

Then there was the small local rescue that a friend was given for me to try. Yes, they had a medium sized bitch coming in the following Saturday, mine if I would care to leave a reservation deposit. Then I found the place had had a terrible reputation for several years and was best left alone, so I checked with Environmental Health, who confirmed this, so I passed on the information I had been given and the man said they had had their licences to keep dogs on the premises withdrawn in January, so end of. I guess they had a visit from the said authority, because Saturday came and went without a word from the woman who had tried to get a substantial deposit from me.

So now, whoever reads this, I am asking for all of you to keep your eyes and ears open for any small to medium sized bitch of mature years, say 5 yrs upwards who might suit our needs, ease our senses of loss and try to follow a small part of Holly's work at Birmingham Children's Hospital, say one or two 2 hour sessions a week.

I am happy to have a bitch spayed myself at the earliest suitable time if she has not been desexed before. After my extensive experience of dogs with special needs such as 9 years of Holly's CC/DE, Rebel's SM and Winston's long standing trauma at seeing Hattie attacked by a PBT I think I am well qualified to give the extra measure of nursing and TLC which dogs such as these require. I hope it goes without saying that I offer a loving home with just me and the 2 boys rattling around in a 3 bedroomed town house with back garden exclusively for their exercise and enjoyment. There is a small field for extra exercise at the corner of our road with large dog friendly parks within easy reach.
    Warmest wishes
    Flo

Have just emailed you. If you don't receive it ( I am a complete technophobe) please let me know and I'll PM you.
    Stephanie.....and two little ladies.

Flo, I don't like asking anyone to visit this site but Preloved always have Cavaliers looking for a new home, people moving them on for some reason or another, I guess they are still a rescue and needing a home with
    lots of TLC.
    My lovely Nora sadly found herself on there more than once then she was finally picked up by an undesirable breeding establishment (now closed) then put back on there after her litters, crossed with a toy poodle We were her 4th home in five yrs, can you believe that.
    Hope you find a new friend soon.
    Alison x

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ByFloSin View Post
    After taking time to think things out very carefully after Holly P died I realised we desperately need a mature bitch to try to fill some of the void which our wonderful girl left behind her, so I contacted multi breed rescues up and down the country and f course Midland Cavalier to see what they might have. To my initial surprise I was told most people parting with a dog these days look for a sale for profit on Gumtree or Preloved and similar sites, leaving Cavalier rescue requests unmet and with long outstanding waiting lists. The multi rescues such as Blue Cross and Dogs Trust have many dogs available but comparatively few bitches available for adoption, in the case of Battersea Dogs Home, who have accepted me as an adopter, they have also told me mine is an almost impossible request.

Dogs Trust do seem to get some small to medium bitches in but they are reserved almost as quickly as they come in, but I am still trying their web site a couple of times each day.

Blue Cross have so many requests that as soon as a particular animal attracts applications they put a reserve on it then start to go through them, offering the animal to the first suitable application they find on the pile of suhmissions.

I've tried Whippet Rescue; I like them so much, but they haven't a bitch to offer.

I haven't yet tried Southern Cavalier Rescue because Veronica is recovering from broken ribs after an accident when she stepped on a manhole cover in her garden and fell down a shaft, but I will get in touch when she has had a bit more time to feel better.

I've registered my interest with Humberside, but they haven't had a dog for rehoming for quite a long time, so not at all hopeful there.

Then there was the small local rescue that a friend was given for me to try. Yes, they had a medium sized bitch coming in the following Saturday, mine if I would care to leave a reservation deposit. Then I found the place had had a terrible reputation for several years and was best left alone, so I checked with Environmental Health, who confirmed this, so I passed on the information I had been given and the man said they had had their licences to keep dogs on the premises withdrawn in January, so end of. I guess they had a visit from the said authority, because Saturday came and went without a word from the woman who had tried to get a substantial deposit from me.

So now, whoever reads this, I am asking for all of you to keep your eyes and ears open for any small to medium sized bitch of mature years, say 5 yrs upwards who might suit our needs, ease our senses of loss and try to follow a small part of Holly's work at Birmingham Children's Hospital, say one or two 2 hour sessions a week.

I am happy to have a bitch spayed myself at the earliest suitable time if she has not been desexed before. After my extensive experience of dogs with special needs such as 9 years of Holly's CC/DE, Rebel's SM and Winston's long standing trauma at seeing Hattie attacked by a PBT I think I am well qualified to give the extra measure of nursing and TLC which dogs such as these require. I hope it goes without saying that I offer a loving home with just me and the 2 boys rattling around in a 3 bedroomed town house with back garden exclusively for their exercise and enjoyment. There is a small field for extra exercise at the corner of our road with large dog friendly parks within easy reach.
    My fathers cleaner fosters rescue dogs and recently fostered a lovely Cavalier so I'll ask her to keep an eye out for you. Good luck with your search
    Sheila H [EMAIL="halls.1@hotmail.co.uk"]